Israel - Palestinian militants launch massive attack, 7 Oct 2023 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
The world hasn't said exactly how Israel should deal with these terrorists either.. just criticism that they are doing it wrong.. well exactly how should one deal with terrorists? Nobody wants to say that... just scream at Israel for killing innocent people.

I am still plowing through Say Nothing, about the Troubles in Ireland.

There was a Catholic priest, Father Alec Reid, who insisted the best way to reconcile the two opposing sides was for them to talk to each other. (Not via mediators) The IRA were a terrorist organisation and lots of Irish people died in horrific ways.

Alec Reid worked and worked - sometimes successfully, sometimes not - at getting both sides to really see each other and what each was wanting.
Then he started passing secret notes between the two leaders of each side. It had to be secret because their supporters would be enraged.
Then the two leaders started secretly meeting, found they had some commonalities, were both intelligent men, and the steps towards peace started.

It is too easy to sit back and be enraged, and take violent measures, when they are not speaking directly with each other. Not trying to find a mutually agreeable solution.

Maybe Sinwar and Netanyahu need to do that - if someone could secretly facilitate such a thing.

imo

Wartime Israel shows little tolerance for Palestinian dissent​

[…]

She was among more than 270 Palestinian citizens who have been arrested in an Israeli crackdown on free speech and political activity since the Hamas attack, according to Adalah, an advocacy organization for Palestinians inside Israel.

Palestinian citizens have also reported intimidation, firings and expulsions from universities, as well as surveillance of their online speech by other civilians.

“People are arrested for anything expressing sympathy for the civilian victims in Gaza,” said lawyer Abeer Baker, who represents another woman who was arrested. “Everything that was not in favor of attacking Gaza as such actually puts you in danger of being arrested.”

[…]

The arrests also raise questions about Israel’s commitment to free speech and the rights of its Palestinian minority, which accounts for a fifth of the country’s nearly 10 million people.

“We have undergone many wars. Never was such suppression ever declared before,” said Hassan Jabareen, the director general of Adalah. “People among themselves speak about living under a dictatorial regime. A Jewish, racist dictatorship.”

Police did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

[…]

“Stagnation” in political circles it is called. Simple Googling shows who initially supported HAMAS and what political mistakes have been made by Israel. The only reason no one is discussing it now is because “one doesn’t change horses mid-stream”. But I hope for interesting exposés to read and that some changes will be made when the war is over.

I think the war should be ended NOW and if there is talk of a buffer zone that too should be implemented without driving the Palestinian population of Gaza any closer to the sea than it already is.

Today I have watched people emerging into view stumbling through the dust cloud of bombardment.

It was exactly the scene I witnessed after 9/11 minus the broken children being carried away.
approx US death toll on 9-11 2,996. Gaza approx last count over 14,000 dead Palestinians and approx over 10,000 were women and children. Not sure what current count is and it keeps rising. Waiting on missing persons under the rubble count.....

Posted at 15:31

In pictures: Fighting in Gaza resumes after ceasefire expires​

As we've been reporting, Israel's retaliatory strikes on Hamas in Gaza have resumed today after a week-long truce.

Here are some of the latest images coming out of the Gaza Strip this afternoon:

View attachment 465156Getty ImagesCopyright: Getty Images
Gaza as seen from southern IsraelImage caption: Gaza as seen from southern Israel

View attachment 465158
ReutersCopyright: Reuters

View attachment 465159
Getty ImagesCopyright: Getty Images
Palestinians check the damage of houses destroyed in an Israeli strike on Khan Younis

View attachment 465157
Getty ImagesCopyright: Getty Images

If only Hamas would have continued the cease fire by just turning over the rest of the illegally held hostages, all this could have been avoided.

There was a Catholic priest, Father Alec Reid, who insisted the best way to reconcile the two opposing sides was for them to talk to each other. (Not via mediators) The IRA were a terrorist organisation and lots of Irish people died in horrific ways.

Alec Reid worked and worked - sometimes successfully, sometimes not - at getting both sides to really see each other and what each was wanting.
Then he started passing secret notes between the two leaders of each side. It had to be secret because their supporters would be enraged.
Then the two leaders started secretly meeting, found they had some commonalities, were both intelligent men, and the steps towards peace started.

It is too easy to sit back and be enraged, and take violent measures, when they are not speaking directly with each other. Not trying to find a mutually agreeable solution.

Maybe Sinwar and Netanyahu need to do that - if someone could secretly facilitate such a thing.

imo
Father Alec Reid was a remarkable man. My mother worked with him at a school in Belfast in the 1970s and he gave my parents a beautiful wedding present. I cherish it now. They always spoke so highly of him. He did a lot for peace in Northern Ireland. (Sorry, off topic.)

"Hopes of renewing

Israel-Hamas truce are dashed after terror group fails to produce new list of hostages -

with 100 Palestinians killed today and warnings 75,000 will die before war ends.

1701457323680.png
  • Families of hostages being held in Gaza said end of truce was 'a very hard blow'
  • More than 100 Palestinians said to have died since Israel restarting bombing"

imo
I won't pretend to know much about the situation in Ireland or how it is similar or different to what is going on with Israel and HAMAS so I will just comment on what I know of Israel/HAMAS and I will commit to study a bit about Ireland.

I see Sinwar like Bin Laden. This isn't a man that has waged war FOR his people.. he waged war to eradicate an entire population of people. Bin Laden wanted to see death to America and I am sure many other people/places. Negotiating peace with a person or group that at their core does not want peace is just asking for more war and death down the road.

When Israel removes HAMAS from GAZA, then and only then do I think Palestinians can elect someone to negotiate for them with Israel and maybe then peace can have a real chance of happening.

Last edited:

imo
But would even secretly negotiating with Sinwar work?

"Hopes of renewing

Israel-Hamas truce are dashed after terror group fails to produce new list of hostages -

with 100 Palestinians killed today and warnings 75,000 will die before war ends.

View attachment 465175
  • Families of hostages being held in Gaza said end of truce was 'a very hard blow'
  • More than 100 Palestinians said to have died since Israel restarting bombing"

I would be just as angry and disgusted if the shoe was on the other foot and Jews were being slaughtered and deprived like the Palestinians. The numbers are horrifying. I do not understand man's inhumanity to man and those that go along with it.It sickens me. JMO

4 min ago

Displaced people in southern Gaza react to IDF leaflet telling them to evacuate to Rafah​

From CNN’s Eve Brennan and Celine Alkhaldi

Displaced Gazans expressed frustration after the Israel Defense Forces dropped leaflets in the southern city of Khan Younis on Friday that called the area a “fighting zone” and told residents to “evacuate immediately.”At least certain areas were
At least they got a heads up---something the victims on oct 7th never got.
Displaced Gazan Ghassan Al-Qudra told Reuters on Friday he had originally left Al-Qarara village and traveled further south to Khan Younis.

“All of a sudden, after the temporary truce, they (Israel) came up with new orders telling us that the people from Al-Qarara, Habathan and al-Fuzaa, had to leave to Rafah,” said Al-Qudra.
Again, they received warnings and that doesn't always happen during war times.
Displaced mother Salma Mohamed Ben Suhaila also spoke to Reuters.

“We were in our home and everything was calm and all of the sudden they told us to go to Rafah. Where are we supposed to go? We can't, they are forcing us to leave,” she said.
She was in her home and all was calm---sounds like what happened in Israel---everyone home peacefully sleeping one morning...but they were never given warnings to leave before being attacked.
“They are lying to us. Who are these unjust people? They are unjust,” she added.
Kind of hypocritical calling someone unjust, considering their leaders actions.
More context: The IDF dropped leaflets in areas of southern Gaza that included a QR code that connects an interactive map showing Gaza divided up into hundreds of numbered districts showing “evacuation zones.”

But telecommunications and electrical infrastructure in Gaza suffered extensive damage over the course of weeks of bombardment between October 7 and the start of the temporary truce on November 24, leaving many residents with unreliable access to the internet and power.
I keep hearing about no power and no internet---yet I've seen lots of videos with building all lit up at night.

And I've seen videos of violent incidents in Gaza, where EVERY one in the crowd is holding up their charged cell phones to take pix and videos.

IDF spokesperson says Hamas was supposed to release members of Bibas family in truce deal it violated​

“We demanded today, like every day during the framework, to return the women and children as agreed-upon in the deal, which Egypt and Qatar had a commitment to. Hamas decided to violate the framework,” Hagari says.

“In the framework, the Bibas family, the mother and the kids, were supposed to be returned to Israel. Hamas decided not to do this,” he adds.

You are right nothing can absolve the guilt from a terrorist organisation running riot on the 7th.

Right at this moment the world is watching the might of a state committing atrocities with malice aforethought and annihilating an unarmed civilian population.

It is not an edifying sight watching another holocaust unfolding.
Another holocaust?

Are Israeli soldiers invading Arab homes and slaughtering resisters , then putting surviving family member on buses and trains, going to extermination camps? Have 6 million Arabs been killed in death camps?

This is a war, not a genocide. Hamas declared war on Oct 7th and Israel is responding in kind.

approx US death toll on 9-11 2,996. Gaza approx last count over 14,000 dead Palestinians and approx over 10,000 were women and children. Not sure what current count is and it keeps rising. Waiting on missing persons under the rubble count.....

I think the actual death count will never be ascertained.

Snip
JERUSALEM (AP) — Palestinian health officials in Gaza said Tuesday that they have lost the ability to count the dead because of the collapse of parts of the enclave’s health system and the difficulty of retrieving bodies from areas overrun by Israeli tanks and troops.

The Health Ministry in Hamas-controlled Gaza, which carefully tracked casualties over the first five weeks of war, gave its most recent death toll of 11,078 on Nov. 10. The United Nations humanitarian office, which cites the Health Ministry death toll in its regular reports, still refers to 11,078 as the last verified death toll from the war.

The challenges involved in verifying the number of dead have mounted as Israel’s ground invasion has intensified and at times severed phone and internet service and sown chaos across the territory.

Employees responsible for tallying the dead have been scattered across the southern Gaza Strip and struggle to coordinate with each other and with hospitals due to frequent communication outages.

Every hospital in the northern strip has shut down except for the Awda Hospital, a private facility in the urban refugee camp of Jabaliya, just north of Gaza City, where doctors conduct surgery with flashlights and treat patients on blood-slicked floors.

“It’s chaos. There are bombs all around us, air attacks, tank attacks, snipers and gunshots,” said hospital Director Ahmad Muhanna. “We are trying to keep the best estimates we can, but with each second, more patients come and it gets harder.”

In many cases now, death certificates are nonexistent, he said.
Without a clear tally of the deaths, advocates worry that the conflict will grind on without accountability. They say the numbers matter because they can have a direct impact on policy and the global sense of urgency.

“We have to get these numbers for history,” said Shawan Jabarin, director of the Palestinian human rights group al-Haq. “The accountability is one thing and to teach the next generations exactly what happened. It’s important for transitional justice, for peace.”

Just as there are holocaust deniers which only legislation curbed, there will be bombardment deniers in the future.
It makes me sick to my stomach that such a continuing body count remains necessary in a volume which renders them countless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laniebug79