Italy - Cable car plunges to the ground, killing at least 14, Turin, May 2021 *arrest*

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by LadyL, May 24, 2021.

1. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

ROME (AP) — A cable car taking visitors to a mountaintop view of some of northern Italy's most picturesque lakes plummeted to the ground Sunday and then tumbled down the slope, killing 14 people. A young child was hospitalized in serious condition with broken bones, authorities said.

Italian cable car plunges to the ground, killing at least 14

dotr, kimpage, gregjrichards and 6 others like this.

2. Skigh

Skigh Well-Known Member

3. TootsieFootsie

TootsieFootsie Well-Known Member

Israeli boy orphaned by Italian cable car tragedy recovering in hospital as prosecutors begin investigation

A five-year-old Israeli boy living in Italy, the lone survivor of a cable car disaster that killed 14 people on Sunday, remains in a Turin hospital with multiple broken bones.

The boy was identified on Monday by the Israeli Foreign Ministry as Eitan Biran.

His parents, younger brother and two great-grandparents were among the dead, the ministry said, correcting an earlier statement that had included Eitan among the victims.

dotr, LadyL, kimpage and 7 others like this.
  4. realanastasia

realanastasia Well-Known Member

5. TootsieFootsie

Boy, 5, lone survivor as entire family killed in cable car tragedy

Boy's great-grandparents had been in Italy just four days

The Israeli foreign ministry identified the five Israelis killed as Eitan's parents, Amit Biran and Tal Peleg-Biran, an Israeli-born couple studying and working in Pavia. Biran’s Facebook page identifies him as a medical student at the University of Pavia.

Their two-year-old son, Tom Biran, was killed at the scene, as were Peleg-Biran’s grandparents, Barbara and Yitzhak Cohen. The ministry said they had arrived in Italy on May 19 to visit their granddaughter and great-grandchildren.

Amit Biran’s sister, Aya, was not involved in the crash and was at the bedside of Eitan at Turin’s Regina Margherita hospital, the foreign ministry said, adding that other family members were flying to Italy from Israel to join her.

dotr, LadyL, kimpage and 8 others like this.
  6. TootsieFootsie

Condolences to the family and friends of everyone who lost their life.

I didn't mean to make this about one family, I just felt for that poor little boy who lost his entire family.
    I'm so glad he has family looking after him and more on the way.

I hope that goes for all the family and friends of all the other people that died. I hope they have support too.

dotr, LadyL, kimpage and 9 others like this.
  7. weepingangel

weepingangel Well-Known Member

3 Arrested in Italy Cable Car Crash; Clamp Deactivated Brake

More at link
    Police arrested three people Wednesday in the cable car disaster that killed 14 people in northern Italy, saying an investigation showed a clamp, intentionally placed on the brake as a patchwork repair, prevented the brake from engaging after the lead cable snapped.

Sky and the LaPresse news agency identified the three people arrested as the owner of the cable car service, the company's director and the service chief.

dotr, scriabina, LadyL and 8 others like this.
  8. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

So basically, the company that owns the cable car attraction couldn't be bothered to hire and train people to maintain the system. Instead, they had poorly trained employees who jury-rigged the braking system because they couldn't figure out how to make the emergency brake stop deploying. Because ... profits?

dotr, LadyL, kimpage and 7 others like this.
  9. Skigh

Skigh Well-Known Member

10. ChatteringBirds

ChatteringBirds Well-Known Member

This is horrifying. My heart goes out to the families of all of these victims.

dotr, LadyL, kimpage and 8 others like this.
  11. gregjrichards

gregjrichards Well-Known Member

My heart breaks for all the families who have lost loved ones and for young Eitan who is the only survivor of this tragedy. I can’t begin to imagine how Eitan must be feeling to lose your parents and brother at five years of age whilst suffering serious injuries himself. According to the Daily Mail article today (link below) three local families have offered to adopt him which is extremely kind but I hope his Aunt and Grandparents are able to adopt and look after him.

It is unforgivable and disgraceful that the breaking feature of the cable car was intentionally disabled to keep it open so it would not need to be repaired. There was a total disregard for the consequences of this decision and the safety of the people riding the cable car ride. The boss of the ride and the two managers have been arrested. The boss is 56 years old and is potentially facing 14 charges of manslaughter with a sentence of up to 30 years in prison.

I hope they face criminal negligence charges in addition to the possible manslaughter charges. The Prosecutors are due to announce all the charges in a court appearance soon. They should get the maximum sentence available to hold them accountable and set an example that there will be serious consequences for people who are criminally negligent in the country.

Where are mum and dad?' Heartbreaking first words of Italian cable car survivor, five | Daily Mail Online

dotr, LadyL, Betty P and 8 others like this.
  12. weepingangel

weepingangel Well-Known Member

Blame in Italy cable car deaths rests with technician, judge rules
    more at link
    The three suspects in Italy's cable car disaster that killed 14 people were allowed to leave prison Sunday after a judge indicated that most of the blame fell on just one of them: a service technician who intentionally disabled the car's emergency brake because it kept locking spontaneously.

Judge Donatella Banci Buonamici said there was not sufficient evidence suggesting the owner of the Mottarone cable car company, Luigi Nerini, or the maintenance chief, Enrico Perocchio, knew that the technician had deactivated the brake on several occasions even before the May 23 disaster.

dotr, LadyL and realanastasia like this.
  13. Morag

Morag Well-Known Member

I have visited the lovely town of Stresa a number of times. We never took the cable car, but we did drive up the mountain road to take in the magnificent lake views. How tragic the loss of life is for all involved, and how sad that a sole workman took a shortcut like that. Accidents that involve ‘rides’ seem to frequently involve careless maintenance.

dotr, LadyL, Betty P and 2 others like this.
  14. ChatteringBirds

ChatteringBirds Well-Known Member

I wonder what the technician told the maintenance chief, or whomever he reports to, what he did to fix the problem. Was he accountable to anyone?
    I wonder if there were any written reports regarding the issue and "fix."

dotr, LadyL and realanastasia like this.
  15. sds71

sds71 Well-Known Member

16. PrairieWind

PrairieWind Verified Attorney

dotr, LadyL and sds71 like this.
  17. TootsieFootsie

18. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

19. sds71

sds71 Well-Known Member