Italy - The Monster of Florence, 16 victims, 1968-1985

Discussion in 'Serial Killers' started by Casshew, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Nikolai_ff

Nikolai_ff Member

A military policeman from Florence Davide Canella has written a book on the case. He is now a private detective. He was even hired by the Vinci family in an unrelated case. Guys, the Monster is “Carlo” or Antonio Vinci. A pharmacist in 85’ remembers that a young man, very tall walks in, a day after every murder and buys alcohol used for body part preservation. He follows him and notices his car is full of newspapers about monster’s crimes. He writes down the plate number. It’s Antonio. The rest of the book fleshes out what Douglas and Mario have proposed. Absolutely fascinating info about Vinci Family from somebody who knows them intimately. Also of the falsely accused Pacciani. Unfortunately it is only in Italian.

So case closed. Literally the two books leave no doubt what so ever.

Sarahlou likes this.

2. tilomagnet

tilomagnet Member

Well, this theory at least can explain the "passage of the gun" problem in a very plausible way. Aside from that, I dont think any real evidence connects AV to the monster, does it? And the police investigated the Sardinian trail for decades even while the murders were still being commited and never found anything that stuck.

3. Nikolai_ff

Nikolai_ff Member

Because Antonio was the only person never really investigated. They figured 15 was too young to commit a murder. He was also same height as the killer.

4. tilomagnet

tilomagnet Member

Yes, that may be the case, but what evidence does AV really tie to the MdF killings? The statement of the pharmacist is interesting, when was this given and to whom? was it ever followed upon by police at the time?

5. FergusMcDuck

FergusMcDuck Member

I'll see if I can track down the book. It does sound like it has a lot of the details I've been looking for. I would be very interested to see how it deals with the Signa murders, as I've leaned more and more away from Salvatore as the shooter the more I've read.

I do wonder who the pharmacist was and where. I'll try to dig it out, but there was actually one hint about Antonio I haven't mentioned so far. After the Scopeti murders, unfired bullets of the same model were discovered by a road close to Signa, a road that continued onwards to where Antonio lived at the time. I would have to track down the details, but I remember it being fairly close.

tilomagnet likes this.
  6. tilomagnet

tilomagnet Member

MaryG12 likes this.
  7. FergusMcDuck

FergusMcDuck Member

Very interesting. I agree, there should be more English translations. Not just books, but a lot of court material and reports would be great to have translated.

MaryG12, Sarahlou and tilomagnet like this.
  8. Nikolai_ff

Nikolai_ff Member

Yes, by military police. Specifically Davide Canella. He was ignored.

9. Nikolai_ff

Nikolai_ff Member

Davide’s theory is that Francesco was the shooter. He also says that back in the day, both Salvatore and Francesco were almost indistinguishable.

10. Nikolai_ff

Nikolai_ff Member

It’s not baffling at all. Incompetent police and prosecutors made it that way.

11. MaryG12

MaryG12 Well-Known Member

I am presently reading "The Monster of Florence" by Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi, bought it for 50 cents at a local thrift store. Just finished Chapter 17 last night.

Apparently the police did not know how to handle the case, what with murders being close to nonexistent in Florence.

FergusMcDuck likes this.
  12. FergusMcDuck

FergusMcDuck Member

And the murders that they were used to were either mafia-style killings or "crimes of passion". Serial killers were something they had in Germany or Scandinavia, not Italy...

I hope you enjoy the book! It's a great read, engrossing to the end.

MaryG12 likes this.