It's Raining Octopus! Sea Creatures Fall From The Sky

margarita25

Reaction score
Storm photos appear to show octopus flying through streets in China | Daily Mail Online

It's raining octopus! Sea creatures fall from the sky after being 'sucked from the ocean by a waterspout and carried into coastal city' during powerful storm in China
The pictures were taken in Qingdao city in east China's Shandong Province
Qingdao Meteorological Administration posted images of the sea creatures
An octopus, mollusks, shellfish and other marine life can be seen in the images
The hurricane-force wind speeds generated during the storm set a new record

Very interesting! A snippet, more at link:

Raining animals is a rare meteorological phenomenon in which flightless animals fall from the sky. Such occurrences have been reported in many countries throughout history.[1] One hypothesis is that tornadic waterspouts sometimes pick up creatures such as fish or frogs, and carry them for up to several miles.[1][2] However, this aspect of the phenomenon has never been witnessed by scientists.[3]

"Rain of flightless animals and things has been reported throughout history.[1] In the first century AD, Roman naturalist Pliny The Elder documented storms of frogs and fish.[4] In 1794, French soldiers saw toads fall from the sky during heavy rain at Lalain, near the French city of Lille.[5] Rural inhabitants in Yoro, Honduras, claim 'fish rain' happens there every summer, a phenomenon they call Lluvia de Peces.[6]

Tornadoes and waterspouts may lift up animals into the air and deposit them miles away

French physicist André-Marie Ampère (1775 – 1836) was among the first scientists to take seriously accounts of raining animals. Addressing the Society of Natural Sciences,[when?]Ampère suggested that at times frogs and toads roam the countryside in large numbers, and that violent winds could pick them up and carry them great distances.[3]

After a reported rain of fish in Singapore in 1861, French naturalist Francis de Laporte de Castelnau speculated that a migration of walking catfish had taken place, dragging themselves over land from one puddle to another, following the rain.[7]"

Storm photos appear to show octopus flying through streets in China | Daily Mail Online

It's raining octopus! Sea creatures fall from the sky after being 'sucked from the ocean by a waterspout and carried into coastal city' during powerful storm in China
The pictures were taken in Qingdao city in east China's Shandong Province
Qingdao Meteorological Administration posted images of the sea creatures
An octopus, mollusks, shellfish and other marine life can be seen in the images
The hurricane-force wind speeds generated during the storm set a new record

Wow. A whole smorgasborg of marine life.

That is amazing. Article says hurricane force winds so I suppose it could pickup sea creatures near the surface and send them sailing. The poor creatures probably had one heck of a ride. Hope some people saved some of them if they were saveable. The octopus looked plenty alive and so did the starfish and shrimp.

I would much rather it be raining men.

Girl! I have had this song in my head all day since wire posted that!! You read my mind!

Everyone get your dancing shoes on!! I might actually do some house cleaning!!

Eta: : I'm dancing around my living room singing at the top of my lungs and my dogs ae looking at me like I'm crazy!

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88