AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The killer doesn’t have to be the one who drove the car to Herring.
In fact, I suspect it wasn’t the killer who drove the car to Herring.

The reason for the car being left on Herring could simply be that it was know to the driver to be a dark and secluded place.

BBM...Why do you suspect that it wasn't the killer? You may be correct, but I am just curious why you suspect that.

Key words :

“Unless he was fed the info..”

That may be the case and that is why I mentioned it. But, if so, then the ABI Special Agent would have been committing perjury with his testimony. I have always believed he (Barrentine) saw the girls somewhere that night, but I don't believe he killed them or saw them killed. If he had witnessed the murders, he would have been found in the trunk with girls with a bullet in his head, too.

They could have picked up a person/s they thought they knew. If it wasn't an authority figure like a cop or a person pretending to be one, it could have been someone they planned to drive somewhere with. Where girls ever considered suspects? Were there issues with classmates. Women can be brutal.

They may have picked up smeone they knew or simply went to someone's house they knew. Until recently, I have always believed they were killed by someone they knew or someone at least one of them knew. Now, I am not so sure.

I don't have much sympathy for Barrentine. LE didn't seek him out. He went to them. He lied thru his teeth about what he did or did not see, told several different stories about what happened and even went as far as to evidently falsely accuse at least one person he knew of murdering the girls. I do not agree with the prosecuting attorney's decision to charge him, but again, he brought it all on himself.

Yes Barrentine got himself caught up in his own debacle, but I do believe he knew something about what happened

They may have picked up smeone they knew or simply went to someone's house they knew. Until recently, I have always believed they were killed by someone they knew or someone at least one of them knew. Now, I am not so sure.

I as well believed it was someone they knew and someone within the Veritas realm of friends, acquaintances and relationships.

Truly need to go back and catch up I came through when thread # 3 curtailed ..... the thread and everyone was gone!! A few of yall filled in the highlights ... geez what a mess

That may be the case and that is why I mentioned it. But, if so, then the ABI Special Agent would have been committing perjury with his testimony. I have always believed he (Barrentine) saw the girls somewhere that night, but I don't believe he killed them or saw them killed. If he had witnessed the murders, he would have been found in the trunk with girls with a bullet in his head, too.

257fd2c0_16.gif
Either at someone's residence or at one field party

It's a very sad case in all ... here we are 19 years later and still no further than what was started. A few of the possible suspects and persons of interest that may have more info than what was known have since passed.

Is there anything specific that has caused you to change your mind? For me, this is one of the key questions that I go back and forth on - Does the evidence point to a stranger committing a crime of opportunity, or did this involve someone known to them?

FWIW, in spite of all of the theories of LE involvement, I think that the investigators were not corrupt or complicit, but simply not competent or experienced enough for this type of case. IMO, some early info has not been released because it would be embarrassing for local LE (speculation).

Is there anything specific that has caused you to change your mind? For me, this is one of the key questions that I go back and forth on - Does the evidence point to a stranger committing a crime of opportunity, or did this involve someone known to them?

FWIW, in spite of all of the theories of LE involvement, I think that the investigators were not corrupt or complicit, but simply not competent or experienced enough for this type of case. IMO, some early info has not been released because it would be embarrassing for local LE (speculation).

I concur with you that the investigators or the 12 LE agencies involved in the investigation are not involved in any type of cover-up. However, mistakes were obviously made early in the investigation.

As far as me changing my mind, I will just say I have a lot of mixed feelings about the identity of the killer or killers. I originally thought it might have been a police impersonator or a rogue police officer acting on his own. Then, I shifted to the girls being killed by someone they (well JB) knew. But, as the investigation has lingered for 19+ years, I've started to realize that if these murders were something simple and the motive was obvious, the case would have solved the case by now. Then, this past winter, I received a tip from someone who gave me some info I feel is very solid. The person they were suspicious of was a stranger to the girls. The info was passed on to LE. Time will tell if the info is good or not.

I concur with you that the investigators or the 12 LE agencies involved in the investigation are not involved in any type of cover-up. However, mistakes were obviously made early in the investigation.

As far as me changing my mind, I will just say I have a lot of mixed feelings about the identity of the killer or killers. I originally thought it might have been a police impersonator or a rogue police officer acting on his own. Then, I shifted to the girls being killed by someone they (well JB) knew. But, as the investigation has lingered for 19+ years, I've started to realize that if these murders were something simple and the motive was obvious, the case would have solved the case by now. Then, this past winter, I received a tip from someone who gave me some info I feel is very solid. The person they were suspicious of was a stranger to the girls. The info was passed on to LE. Time will tell if the info is good or not.

TY TedMac for the clarity in understanding your mixed train of probable suspects, have always well respected your knowledge and aspects on the case
can't wait to see what comes out of it
fabf9a56_msn-emotions-pig-8.gif

BBM...Why do you suspect that it wasn't the killer? You may be correct, but I am just curious why you suspect that.
Nothing specific, just connecting dots over the years between here, the old wiregrass forums and a couple other places. I suspect the two guys who moved out of state after the murders as a possibility to be the drivers.
It all stems from my opinion that the murders were loosely related to organized crime.

He wouldn’t have been committing perjury if the words actually came out of Barrentines mouth. It wouldn’t had to have been the ABI agent who fed him the info.

Again, failing to even interview the two boys they were trying to meet up with goes way beyond incompetence.
They wanted to pin this on Barrentine.

Again, failing to even interview the two boys they were trying to meet up with that night goes way beyond incompetence.
They wanted to pin this on Barrentine. JMO

I live in Alabama and used to drive in Ozark for business at least once a month for a couple of years but that was before I joined WS. This case is what brought me to WS because I remember when it occurred. At some point, hopefully in the next month, I am going to try to retrace their course from Headland at night to identify possible scenarios. I will say after leaving the Big/Little Store it isn't a straight shot to highway 231, there are a few "stay to the left"s or "keep right"s to borrow from GPS/map apps. There are also 6 traffic lights to stop at along the route to 231 and anyone could have walked up to the car with a gun at any one of them except the intersection of 231 and Andrews Drive (too much traffic and open businesses).

I am with you on the route. Something else I brought up way back is that this route goes through a fairly bad part of town. This is when carjackings were happening often. It could've been as simple as two pretty girls at a traffic light, window down,killer walks up with a gun, friends follow in another car or he is alone on foot. Crime of opportunity.

Killarney Rose, I almost put that the downtown area is adjacent to some sketchy areas but didn't because I didn't want to offend anyone from Ozark. You are right the downtown area is easily accessible from questionable neighborhoods. Turning down 123 provides longer exposure to sketchy neighborhoods as well. At times I think this is where the girls encountered their killer(s). Then again my theories change too when good evidence and thought provoking comments from all you sleuths are posted.

The killer doesn’t have to be the one who drove the car to Herring.
In fact, I suspect it wasn’t the killer who drove the car to Herring.

The reason for the car being left on Herring could simply be that it was know to the driver to be a dark and secluded place.

I was wondering if you were going to suggest someone took, borrowed or was given the car without knowing there were bodies in the trunk. It took the police awhile to check. It would also explain the missing keys, if you drive a car park and get out you instinct is to take the keys with you. The missing keys don't actually mean the person driving the car didn't know about the murders.

He wouldn’t have been committing perjury if the words actually came out of Barrentines mouth. It wouldn’t had to have been the ABI agent who fed him the info.

The ABI Agent was present when Barrentine was questioned. He knew what was and was not said to Barrentine during the interview. If he fed Barrentine information or was aware that Barrentine was fed information by anyone in LE and testified to what he did, that would be perjury, not to mention unethical as Hell.

I still believe Barrentine saw the girls that night. I don't know where, possibly at the Big/Little Store, maybe in town or wherever they stopped.

Do you think it was a stranger passing through the town, or someone that was an acquaintance to someone they knew. I've assumed a person was ok because I thought they seemed to be friends with a friend of a friend. That is a stranger, but the connection to someone you know gives you this false sense of security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993