UK UK - Jack the Ripper, London 1888, East End, in and around Whitechapel District UNSOLVED

The "Dear Boss" letter that gave the killer his name was also made public around this time 125 year ago.

We seem to have hit a bit of a lull in Ripper news - nothing since the Welsh surgeon/"There was no Jack"/Carl Feigenbaum trilogy of the last couple weeks.

http://www.hlntv.com/slideshow/2013/09/29/jack-ripper-cold-case-solved?hpt=hln10_4&hpt=hp_t3

Forensic expert: Jack the Ripper never existed
'Jack the Ripper' is one of the most infamous serial killers of all time. Now that more information about the 125-year-old cold case has been brought to light, could it solve the mystery for good, or is it just another theory?
By Colette Bennett
updated 6:36 PM EDT, Sat October 05, 2013

...An ex-homicide detective believes he has answers to one of the most baffling mysteries of all time -- the identity of Jack the Ripper. He claims the infamous serial killer never existed at all....

This theory is nothing new and I see he's trying to hawk a book.
I think the cannonical five murders were commited by the same individual but I doubt he was any of the famous suspects that have fallen in and out of vogue.
Unfortunately this case is so old and so little remains in the way of evidence or even reliable information and has been so distorted and clouded by popular culture you can float ANY theory or suspect and and it really cant be 'ruled out' per se.
And as long as the name Jack The Ripper still draws attention Theories and suspects will continue to pop up.
The Truth though my be lost to History forever.

Next Wednesday the 16th will be the 125th anniversary of the reception of the "From Hell" letter that was accompanied by a package that contained part of a human kidney that may have belonged to Catherine Eddowes.

Next Wednesday the 16th will be the 125th anniversary of the reception of the "From Hell" letter that was accompanied by a package that contained part of a human kidney that may have belonged to Catherine Eddowes.
What is your opinion of the 'from Hell' letter Standreid?
I know some factions dismiss it as a hoax(Of course what part of this case DOESNT some 'expert' dismiss as a Hoax?) but to me anyway that one always struck me as being legit from the Whitechappel Killer.
I guess it always passed my 'gut feeling' test from the first time I read it.

It's a close call for me Kline. At first, I was pretty sure it was legitimate. I'm a little less sure now but I'm still on the side that it was sent by the killer and was Eddowes' kidney fragment.

I go back and forth like that on the 'Maybrick' diary as well.
In the minus column: The fact that it came to light at all seems suspicious.
Plus its twisted provenance and the folks who brought it to the public's attention.
Ditto for the total 'Novel-istic' arc of the story inside.
The plus column:The fact that the the materials of the diary STILL havent been discredited, the age of the ink paper ect.(as happened to the Hitler Diary).
Also the things the author choose to dwell on:minutae from his personal life no one would care about and the more sensational aspects of the murders that he just breezes through or barely mentions at all.
Also the raw graphic sometimes obscene narative....to me its either a very Modern Hoaxer with Modern de-sensitized sensibilties or its real.
And it does seem like it would be difficult to not get tripped up on the details of James Maybricks life....yet how would one do that exaustive amount of research on him(Especially a layman) and NOT call attention to yourself?
You would have to do some serious digging in a wide variety of obscure places.
Its not like Maybrick was some iconic historical figure where everyone knows where he was or wasnt on any given date.....or you could find out in minutes on the internet.
And a Hoaxer would have to know people(Press with resources) would be going over the archives of Maybrick's life in an effort to discredit the Diary.

My stance is close to Stan's (above) but it's commonly held amongst the higher ranks in Ripperology that the letters are not from the killer.

Thumbs down on Maybrick diary too. Good read though!

I gave the Diary a look when I first heard about it on 60 Minutes. Not long afterward, I discounted it and haven't seen anything since to change my mind. I'll admit that I haven't studied it in depth though.

My stance is close to Stan's (above) but it's commonly held amongst the higher ranks in Ripperology that the letters are not from the killer.

Thumbs down on Maybrick diary too. Good read though!
Yeah!I thought it was a good read too!
Which to me is one of the major point against it being legit...the structure and arc of it makes a really good novel....life generally doesnt have that tidiness.
If its a hoax the hoaxer missed his calling in my opinion.

This coming Saturday, November 9, is the 125th anniversary of the murder and dissection of Mary Jane Kelly, the last of Jack the Ripper's 5 canonical victims. She was the youngest of the five and the only one killed indoors. Some accounts indicate that the murderer cut out her heart and took it away with him.

This coming Saturday, November 9, is the 125th anniversary of the murder and dissection of Mary Jane Kelly, the last of Jack the Ripper's 5 canonical victims. She was the youngest of the five and the only one killed indoors. Some accounts indicate that the murderer cut out her heart and took it away with him.
I'm sure everyone has seen the famous photo of the carnage The Whitechapel Killer left behind that night in Kelly's room.
Truly horrific.

This Friday the 20th, 125 years ago, Rose Mylett was found strangled in London. Despite some disagreement, the official ruling was that she was murdered and some believe that she was a victim of Jack the Ripper.

He was almost certainly not a Ripper victim but 8-year-old John Gill was found murdered and mutilated in Manningham, England 125 year ago this coming Sunday, the 29th.

He was almost certainly not a Ripper victim but 8-year-old John Gill was found murdered and mutilated in Manningham, England 125 year ago this coming Sunday, the 29th.
While Manningham is about 200 miles north of London, one does note that it is the old Jewish area of Bradford, and that Ripper crimes took place near Old Jewry in London, which housed, at the time of Catherine Eddowes's murder, the offices of the City of London police. So those looking at the "kosher butcher" angle may find their hearts beating slightly faster.

I was wondering today, why do people dismiss the letter that came with the kidney attached? I've read that it's because of the lack of DNA testing, making it hard to figure out if that kidney was from an animal instead. That's what I don't get - wouldn't medical experts be able to see the difference? I guess if it belonged to a pig or something it could've passed as human, I don't know.

At the same time, it makes me wonder. People in those days spent a lot more time around animal organs than most people today do. Even nowadays people still eat animal parts like kidney, liver, and so on, but in those days it was far more common. People didn't just go to the nearest shop and buy a pizza to pop into the microwave. People who were trained in medicine also did many dissections (even vivissections sometimes) of animals. Human bodies were harder to use. Nowadays there are more people who donate their bodies so students can study them and better refrigeration. In those days, a body could only be used for some time before it started to decompose badly.

:twocents:

By the way, does anyone know of a good place where I can see some of the more common theories and the arguments for and against them? It's been a few years since I read about this case in some depth so I could use a refresher.

However If it is a hoax I think it has to be a MODERN hoax...I dont believe a hoax writer even as late as the 1920's could have or would have written in such a cold blooded graphic fashion.

For what it's worth, there were cold blooded graphic writings before the time period the journal was supposed to be set in. I think it's a hoax but I think it could be a hoax from that time period.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back