UK UK - Jack the Ripper, London 1888, East End, in and around Whitechapel District UNSOLVED

Jack the Ripper mystery solved by top detective after 125 years. (Express)
The Jack the Ripper mystery that has kept the world enthralled since the killer first struck on the streets of Victorian
London has been blown apart on the 125th anniversary of the grisly crimes by a former murder squad detective.
“There just isn’t a Jack The Ripper as such,” Mr Marriott said.
the article at the link above

125 years on, and still WS does not have a dedicated Jack the Ripper thread....until now that is.

As one sage poster observed about this notable gap, on one of the several Ripper threads which have served piecemeal over the years to link current articles about the case, "It's only the biggest case in the history of the world," lol. So here's a catch-all link for everything Jack: The Compleat Jack the Ripper on Web Sleuths.

As this is a centenary-plus-one-quarter anniversary year, the internet has been alive with Jack articles, theories, books, and links. You will find several newish ones posted on the last page of the "123 years on" link below - it's the most recently posted on here:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31635"]Aussie May Unmask Jack the Ripper[/ame]

Jack the Ripper's face revealed 120 years on

Historian ID's Jack The Ripper

UK - Jack the Ripper 123 years on - Yard denies access to files

There may be other, but those are the ones I found searching with Jack the Ripper + Whitechapel as search terms. In addition, these STANDREID threads contain bits and pieces about the subject:

Centenaries - whole and half

Most interesting classic unsolved murder cases

Classic Cold Murder Case of Most Interest Poll

If you find other WS threads dealing with the topic, please link them here. Also, please link any and all articles you've found online.

A good-enough source to start learning about Jack is here: Jack the Ripper . (Wiki)

I've always enjoyed this snippet from a 1967 documentary called "The London Nobody Knows," with James Mason. Many Ripper sites are no longer extant - victims of slum-clearing progress or Nazi bombs. This one I believe has been cleared away long ago, too.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjIUQqrkJdU"]Jack the Ripper: scene of the Hanbury Street murder, filmed in 1967 - YouTube[/ame]

Having read this case for 40+ years with no clearer notion of whodunnit than I did on Day One, I'm ready to go back to initial Ripper candidate Montague John Druitt for one or more of the first canonical four, and Joseph Barnett, former lover of victim Mary Jane Kelly, for her murder - the fifth, final, and most bloody killing.

Dark horse favorites: Robert Donston Stephenson; James Kelly ('Prisoner 1167').

And, from today and Huffington Post:

Jack The Ripper Mystery Solved? Cold Case Investigation Implicates German Sailor Carl Feigenbaum

For further perusal, from Wiki: suspects.

Having read this case for 40+ years with no clearer notion of whodunnit than I did on Day One, I'm ready to go back to initial Ripper candidate Montague John Druitt for one or more of the first canonical four, and Joseph Barnett, former lover of victim Mary Jane Kelly, for her murder - the fifth, final, and most bloody killing.

Dark horse favorites: Robert Donston Stephenson; James Kelly ('Prisoner 1167').

And, from today and Huffington Post:

Jack The Ripper Mystery Solved? Cold Case Investigation Implicates German Sailor Carl Feigenbaum

For further perusal, from Wiki: suspects.

From your huffpost link, I see this man says the killer is also responsible for crimes in the U.S. and Germany. Not sure about what in the U.S., but is he talking about the Germany Embassy explosion threat in the 1884 cases? Going to read over here about any other German connections (they have cool old newsprint clips):

[ame="http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=18286"]***Government Reward (1884) For Capture Of Murderer Of 1 Unfortunate*** - JTRForums.com - THE place to be for All Things Ripper[/ame]

From Telegraph, 05 October 2009; another "who he?" candidate:

Jack the Ripper's identity finally uncovered?
Mei Trow used modern police forensic techniques, including psychological and geographical profiling, to identify Robert Mann, a morgue attendant, as the killer.
The rest at the link; one notices that, in general, these new theories all come attached with the "using modern police forensic techniques and profiling" imprimatur, plus "__ years of extensive [or intensive] research."

From CBS late last month:

Jack the Ripper Case: 125 years later, murders of London prostitutes by notorious serial killer remain unsolved
Goes heavy on what former FBI Supervisory Special Agent John Douglas thinks of the matter.

I posted this one on one of the other random Ripper threads; "top detective" thinks there was no single "Jack the Ripper":

Jack the Ripper mystery solved by top detective after 125 years. (Mirror)

The one Jack the Ripper book everyone should own - a graphic novel, no less: From Hell, by writer Alan Moore and artist Eddie Campbell.

No, not because I agree with its conclusions; but because its narrative approximates the shadowy lurchings of a century and a quarter of Ripperology. You will not fail to be entertained. (And I don't even like graphic novels.)

BBC America chimes in with an always-fun The 5 Craziest Jack the Ripper Theories. In some detail.

Lots of solutions - too bad they don't match each other.

About forgot this one. Wales chimed in last month with....

Was Jack the Ripper a Welsh surgeon?. (walesonline.co.uk)
New book written by Swansea nurse claims link between surgeon and serial killer's final victim
---
Antonia Alexander, 26, from Swansea, says she is the great, great, great granddaughter of the Ripper’s fifth and final victim, Irish-born beauty Mary Kelly.

Last year, mother of two Antonia discovered a photograph of a man in a locket contained in Mary’s belongings was not that of Mary’s husband as her family had long believed, but one of Sir John Williams, a prominent Welsh surgeon who has previously been linked with the killings.
---
In her book, The Fifth Victim, being released this Friday, Antonia claims Sir John was behind the notorious killings on the cobbled streets of London’s Whitechapel in 1888.
---
yes, more at the link

Meanwhile, the Newham Recorder asked, earlier this month....

Does publicising the Jack the Ripper murders glorify violence against women?

Well, Monday is the 125th anniversary of the double event - the morning that both Elizabeth Stride and Katherine Eddowes were murdered. R.I.P Liz and Kate.

i just watched the first series of whitechapel again and i forgot it was about jack the ripper. always been interested in this but can't say that i have done extensive research etc. wfgodot i assume the film from hell is an adaptation of the book? love that film

Bout time Saucy Jack had his own thread! Thanks, wiggledot. :heart:

We have a Jack the Ripper thread already here in the SK forum.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136265"]UK UK - Jack the Ripper 123 years on - Yard denies access to files - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I'm going to merge it into this one.

Well, Monday is the 125th anniversary of the double event - the morning that both Elizabeth Stride and Katherine Eddowes were murdered. R.I.P Liz and Kate.

I know that it's Catherine BTW - it was early when I wrote that:facepalm:

I would love to get Mei Trow's book about Robert Mann..has anyone read it?

I've had a theory that JtR was a necrophile or had strong necrophiliac tendencies for some time now.

Mainly as he made very sure to kill his victims swiftly before then taking as much time as he could get to mutilate the bodies, which he certainly did in the case of Mary Kelly. I also feel he was likely to want to hang about and watch the panic, watch the police, have some sort of contact with the victims or the crime scene after.. Also, the whole 'wanna be doctor' thing.

A morgue attendant makes perfect sense to me.

....and meanwhile, in Maine:

Romantic Ripper to enact dark deeds in chilling ballet. (Portland Press Herald)
---
Choreographer Nell Shipman is not telling which suspect she chose as Jack -- there are hundreds, ranging from a member of the royal family to a mortuary assistant subject to fits (an FBI profiler's mundane choice) -- and the mystery will most likely never be solved to everyone's satisfaction.

That leaves a wide range to choose from and Shipman has decided on a Romantic figure, cloak, top hat and all, maybe the artist Walter Sickert, although that's only my guess.
---
more at the link

Probably not a Ripper victim but I think Wednesday October 2 is the 125th anniversary of the finding of the Whitehall Torso. Indications were that she was probably killed some time in September or before.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back