Canada - James Schwalm arrested after wife Ashley Schwalm was found dead in a burning vehicle after a single car accident

RandomName479

Verified Pharmacist
Reaction score
Original article about the crash

The arrest

What we know about the suspect

I have never started a thread before, but I can’t find one on this, and IMO this is going to be big. I have some first hand info, but will not be named in any media reports, so I hope it’s ok to share what I witnessed first hand.

Blue mountains is a ski hill about a 15 min drive from Collingwood. I didn’t even hear of the accident the day it happened, but it did make news as it was a fatal accident. I live in the town next to the accident, and when a detective showed up at my door asking questions that were obviously related to this crash, I put my thinking cap on. Why are they canvassing for witnesses 15km away from where the accident happened?

Lots of articles, but I tried to stick to national sites.

Would love other takes on this….

Edit: bc I can’t spell

Last edited:
Original article about the crash

The arrest

What we know about the suspect

I have never started a thread before, but I can’t find one on this, and IMO this is going to be big. I have some first hand info, but will not be named in any media reports, so I hope it’s ok to share what I witnessed first hand.

Blue mountains is a ski hill about a 15 min drive from Collingwood. I didn’t even hear of the accident the day it happened, but it did make news as it was a fatal accident. I live in the town next to the accident, and when a detective showed up at my door asking questions that were obviously related to this crash, I put my thinking cap on. Why are they canvassing for witnesses 15km away from where the accident happened?

Lots of articles, but I tried to stick to national sites.

Would love other takes on this….

Edit: bc I can’t spell
Such a sad tragedy for the community. Those poor children!! I assume the detective came to your home because you're neighbors? I live in the area as well.. & would see them both daily at drop offs/pickups.

Such a sad tragedy for the community. Those poor children!! I assume the detective came to your home because you're neighbors? I live in the area as well.. & would see them both daily at drop offs/pickups.
Neighbour adjacent. I can only assume they were looking for footage of him returning home. I didn’t really know the family - I recognize him from a yoga class I used to go to (maybe 8 years ago?). He was the one guy in that class, so he stood out. I am so glad the kids weren’t hurt, but I’m concerned about how much they may have witnessed. The police were actively looking for him on the Monday and Tuesday…..I am shocked that everything was kept so quiet. You never know what state of mind someone is in…..

I see a Jesse Schwalm in Barrie
I saw that too and that would make the most sense geographically but since there is a publication ban his name should only appear via initials. The only other's I saw were in Hamilton or Welland with initials only. Note: Cases involving a publication ban (imposed at any part of the proceedings) will be listed with an individual's initials only, not the full name.

How did you hear about this story?

I checked the court dates and there is a “S.,J” on Tuesday in Barrie
I heard about it here on this thread. From what I have read about a publication ban I do not believe that the public will learn anything about the court proceedings. It will remain private and sealed most likely to protect a witness if there is one. Be careful of what you share on social media -
In Ontario, the courts are committed to upholding the open court principle, which ensures that all hearings, including virtual hearings, are accessible to the public and media. However, it is sometimes necessary for the court to order a publication ban to protect the fairness and integrity of the case, the privacy or safety of a victim or witness, or the identity of a child or youth. Publication bans prevent certain information about the case from being published by anyone in any document, broadcast or transmitted in any way, including social media.

I think you are local and may be able to attend the court hearing but again -
It is the responsibility of members of the public who attend court proceedings or access court judgments to inform themselves of the circumstances under which publication bans may be in effect and to ensure compliance with those bans.

Honestly I'd love to know more about this case but I don't think we will until the court process has played out. I hope that at some point the publication ban is lifted during the trial so we could follow along.

The more I think about it I think the prosecution should argue the publication ban and get it removed or lifted. From what I understand they are used to protect a victim or a witness. JMO IMO MOO

Her 38-year-old husband has been behind bars since his arrest two weeks ago.
He is also charged with indignity to a body.

Court documents obtained by CTV News reveal James Schwalm is accused of interfering with his wife's remains found in the burned SUV.
The court has imposed a non-communication order on Schwalm, prohibiting him from contacting several family and friends, including his parents and members of his wife's family.
Schwalm's next court appearance is scheduled for March 3.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back