Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been putting extra, EXTRA salt on my popcorn. lol Okay, on everything...

If it was only that easy (then folks wouldn't be selling tablets for $350.00 per box):

table salt does not contain enough iodine to block radioactive iodine from getting into your thyroid gland. You should not use table salt as a substitute for KI.

I heard sea kelp is a good alternative :)

Kelp: Supplement the diet with easily assimilable organic iodine, as in kelp (Norwegian or other clean water kelp if possible), this will saturate the thyroid so radioactive iodine will not be absorbed.

http://chemtrailsnorthnz.wordpress.com/2011/03/15/protection-against-radiation-poisoning/

I'm no doctor, but I'd rather take my chances with sea kelp than some of these tablets. "if" we get radiation here, this may be a good alternative (if radiation is in low doses as expected).

Vitamin A, C, E also helps for those who receive radiation treatments:

Radiation reduces tissue antioxidants:

Radiation at doses used in therapy depletes cellular alpha-tocopherol in normal cells, thereby increasing their risk of damage; animal studies show that whole-body exposure to X-ray irradiation decreases tissue concentrations of vitamins C and E (6). A decline in tissue vitamins E and Se during radiation therapy for breast cancer and a fall in vitamins A, C, E, and Se during breast cancer treatment with ROS-producing adriamycine may increase normal tissue sensitivity to radiation damage.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/134/11/3207S.full

Gotta keep these things in mind if radiation levels increase here in the US.

Hugs,

Mel

Well, in all honesty - the Japanese have been wearing masks for quite some time now. It seems they have a real fear of "germs" in general. I guess that comes from so many people in such a little space.

But really, what good is a mouth/nose mask gonna do if radiation levels are high anyway? That stuff gets EVERYWHERE. Just because you don't breathe it in - doesn't mean that it isn't getting in through your ears, your eyes, on your clothes - I haven't noticed - are they wearing gloves too? Man I would be - your hands touch so much.

Gosh, the Japanese have been wearing masks since the H1N1 and Bird Flu outbreaks -- not bloody hay fever! It's winter over there, and with so many in the population, this is why they wear masks.

Hay fever - who comes up with this stuff! :floorlaugh:

sorry....

Mel

Well, in all honesty - the Japanese have been wearing masks for quite some time now. It seems they have a real fear of "germs" in general. I guess that comes from so many people in such a little space.

But really, what good is a mouth/nose mask gonna do if radiation levels are high anyway? That stuff gets EVERYWHERE. Just because you don't breathe it in - doesn't mean that it isn't getting in through your ears, your eyes, on your clothes - I haven't noticed - are they wearing gloves too? Man I would be - your hands touch so much.

If the radiation cloud were bad enough and it blew across the US, we'd have to seal off all the vents under the eaves of our homes with duct tape and plastic, as well as all the windows, fireplaces, doors, etc. All the more reason to have your emergency kit put together and ready for use.

I'm not a pessimist, I swear; I'm just being realistic.
As always, feel free to ask me any questions you might have about this kind of stuff. :)

Isn't there sea kelp in ice cream? I'm gonna end up with clogged arteries and high blood pressure... lol

10.10pm: Nuclear plant operator Tepco says it plans to try again on Thursday with its plan to drop water into the No 3 reactor by military helicopter. The frist attempt today was called off because of high radiation around the Fukushima Daiichi site, although the IAEA also had concerns about the method.

The damaged No 3 reactor remains the highest priority, because of the presence of Mox (Mixed oxide) fuel which contains highly dangerous plutonium.

10.10pm: Nuclear plant operator Tepco says it plans to try again on Thursday with its plan to drop water into the No 3 reactor by military helicopter. The frist attempt today was called off because of high radiation around the Fukushima Daiichi site, although the IAEA also had concerns about the method.

The damaged No 3 reactor remains the highest priority, because of the presence of Mox (Mixed oxide) fuel which contains highly dangerous plutonium.

Jim Walsh sayin' it like it is on CNN right now...

Isn't there sea kelp in ice cream? I'm gonna end up with clogged arteries and high blood pressure... lol

Yup, but I'd bet you'd have to eat gallons to get any type of protection. Oh, WTH, at this point I'm ready for a couple of gallons...

Alginate, a kelp-derived carbohydrate, is used to thicken products such as ice cream, jelly, salad dressing, and toothpaste, as well as an ingredient in exotic dog food and in manufactured goods

Ben n' Jerry's anyone?

Mel

Can you please post the high points?

Shoot, I don't know--what stood out to me is that the American officials were not expecting what they found at the plant this morning, and that is what precipitated all this new information. He also said one of the reactors was in breach status and also had fuel pool problems.

Just got back from our local walgreens all the potassium iodide is sold out.. pharmacist laughed when I told what i was looking for, she said you and 10,000 other people.

Picked up the 2nd to last bottle of liquid iodine....better than nothing in case the worst happens :) Pharmacist asked if i was really worried and I said no i guess not, but ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.. something my grandma used to say and she smiled...

Yup, but I'd bet you'd have to eat gallons to get any type of protection. Oh, WTH, at this point I'm ready for a couple of gallons...

Alginate, a kelp-derived carbohydrate, is used to thicken products such as ice cream, jelly, salad dressing, and toothpaste, as well as an ingredient in exotic dog food and in manufactured goods

Ben n' Jerry's anyone?

Mel

Okay, lets not tell anyone about our ice cream/margarita plan or that'll sell out too. hahaha! :crazy:

just a question.. why are the police doing this.. have all the workers passed away???

Japan police to douse spent fuel rods with water at Fukushima plant

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/78734.html

That's mind-boggling, unless it's a typo. I just can't see it. Wouldn't a fire-department do this anyway? Where are the police getting the water from?

I'm coming away from this with too many questions than answers. No wonder I can't sleep at night!

Mel

Unstable Japanese reactors unsettle San Diego
Radioactive air pollution a top concern despite official assurances

Excerpt:
A dearth of state and federal data about the possibility of a nuclear dusting on the West Coast has residents from San Diego to Idaho scrambling for answers and antidotes as the situation at Japan’s nuclear plants teeters between bad and worse.

Health officials on Wednesday minimized the potential for health effects here but the memory of the Chernobyl disaster in 1986 continues to haunt the public imagination as weather experts said prevailing winds move from Asia to the U.S. West Coast in seven to ten days.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/mar/16/unstable-nuke-plants-continue-stirring-local-fears/

48 hours huh? Wouldn't that put it just past midnight on Saturday (over in Japan)?

Can't help but think about that "supermoon" on Saturday. :(

2303: An additional 28,000 people have been evacuated from areas near the stricken Fukushima Daiichi plant to avoid possible exposure to radiation, NHK television reports. But many temporary shelters in the 31 municipalities in Fukushima prefecture were too overcrowded to cope with the influx and had to turn them away. The displaced are now heading to neighbouring prefectures.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

Who was talking about the liquid iodine, was that you Trident? A lil dab'll do ya? Wellll... I have some povidone-iodine solution 7.5% at home (don't ask how cause I'll sound like Billie Jean Dunn). It contains 0.75% iodine. Is that what people are dabbin'? You know, just in case... I can't give my girls margaritas. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123