Japan - Miyazawa family of 4 murdered, Setagaya, Tokyo, 30 Dec 2000 #2

It is possible to differentiate vegans/nonvegans being based on stool, even their gut microbiomes might differ, but you are right that the science behind it is way more advanced now. (Too sad, I hoped we’d have one more trait of the perpetrator known to us.)
Is it possible to keep such matter 24 years? I’m assuming it is? I know that much can be extracted from a tiny amount of DNA. How common was it for a teenage boy to be a vegetarian in Japan in the year 2000? Assuming, of course, he was actually a veggie. As I say, that dish is everywhere in Japan. And for all the insistence that it was “home-cooked”, I’ve eaten spinach with sesame in so many restaurants etc in Japan. The idea he was a momma’s boy, based on the ironed handkerchiefs and the spinach — I’m simply not convinced.

Is it possible to keep such matter 24 years? I’m assuming it is? I know that much can be extracted from a tiny amount of DNA. How common was it for a teenage boy to be a vegetarian in Japan in the year 2000? Assuming, of course, he was actually a veggie. As I say, that dish is everywhere in Japan. And for all the insistence that it was “home-cooked”, I’ve eaten spinach with sesame in so many restaurants etc in Japan. The idea he was a momma’s boy, based on the ironed handkerchiefs and the spinach — I’m simply not convinced.

As far as I know, it's absolutely possible to keep stool (or any) samples for 24 years if they're stored properly. Whether the TMPD did keep the samples is another matter entirely. I hope they did.

@Charlot123 is correct, today it should be possible to tell if a person is likely to be vegan/vegetarian by looking at such a sample. It's more than just what kind of food was eaten during the last meal, a vegetarian diet results in the body producing different enzymes and growing different bacteria in the gut. The sample would contain traces of all those things; today, a pathologist could be reasonably sure what kind of diet the killer was consuming long-term, not just over the past day or two. I don't know if the investigators could have been so sure back in 2000.

A vegetarian potentially committing such a bloody massacre. That would be one for the psychologists to figure out.

Re: a veggie killer.
It would be more than just one thing, it would stand out a lot if proven.

But what could it lead to? Can anybody answer? (Genuinely!).

Although not impossible, it is notoriously difficult and uncommon to be totally vegetarian in Japan and it is a very unaccommodating country even in 2024. I imagine back in 2000 it was even worse.
The majority of people eat meat and especially fish in Japan and it is a main staple of the diet. Even nowadays being a vegetarian raises a few eyebrows among people. I don’t think I know any here after 15 years!

Re: a veggie killer.
It would be more than just one thing, it would stand out a lot if proven.

But what could it lead to? Can anybody answer? (Genuinely!).

Although not impossible, it is notoriously difficult and uncommon to be totally vegetarian in Japan and it is a very unaccommodating country even in 2024. I imagine back in 2000 it was even worse.
The majority of people eat meat and especially fish in Japan and it is a main staple of the diet. Even nowadays being a vegetarian raises a few eyebrows among people. I don’t think I know any here after 15 years!
An ex of mine lived in Tokyo for years and was a strict veggie. She had a very small list of places she could go to. Admittedly, that's going back a few years now and I imagine it's much improved. But in the year 2000?

At any rate, I don't think the killer was a vegetarian -- at least it's certainly never come up in my conversations.

As far as I know, it's absolutely possible to keep stool (or any) samples for 24 years if they're stored properly. Whether the TMPD did keep the samples is another matter entirely. I hope they did.

@Charlot123 is correct, today it should be possible to tell if a person is likely to be vegan/vegetarian by looking at such a sample. It's more than just what kind of food was eaten during the last meal, a vegetarian diet results in the body producing different enzymes and growing different bacteria in the gut. The sample would contain traces of all those things; today, a pathologist could be reasonably sure what kind of diet the killer was consuming long-term, not just over the past day or two. I don't know if the investigators could have been so sure back in 2000.

A vegetarian potentially committing such a bloody massacre. That would be one for the psychologists to figure out.

Thank you for such a good explanation. Him being a vegetarian would not surprise me.

But if he still is a vegetarian and, as we have mentioned, may be slightly sketchy about his past (bits and pieces, but not the timeline of his younger years), and a churchgoer, and dad, a doctor, and mom (what - deceased?), there is a story. Plus, he might still know Japanese, although I haven't met many people using it here. Plus, he might be avoiding using biometrics to unlock cellphone.

@FacelessPodcast, do you think he was about 15 when he did it? That doesn't tell us his today's height. He could have stopped growing by that time, or not.

And one more question: what countries would he be limited in traveling to? Japan for sure? What about South Korea? When we traveled to S.K. via Beijing, it was China that took our fingerprints, not S.K.

There is a couple of other questions, if he is a naturalized US citizen, US should have his fingerprints for sure, and if I am not mistaken, even visits to US need them, but not 100% sure.

Here:

Last edited:
Thank you for such a good explanation. Him being a vegetarian would not surprise me.

But if he still is a vegetarian and, as we have mentioned, may be slightly sketchy about his past (bits and pieces, but not the timeline of his younger years), and a churchgoer, and dad, a doctor, and mom (what - deceased?), there is a story. Plus, he might still know Japanese, although I haven't met many people using it here. Plus, he might be avoiding using biometrics to unlock cellphone.
Are your questions in terms of my POI? He speaks Japanese to a good level. Not fluent but certainly enough to get by, move around etc. His mother is alive and well. Still with the father. No criminal records anywhere, so far as I can make out, except for repeated driving infractions down the years (across all three individuals).
@FacelessPodcast, do you think he was about 15 when he did it? That doesn't tell us his today's height. He could have stopped growing by that time, or not.
I think he was a little older but younger than 20.
And one more question: what countries would he be limited in traveling to? Japan for sure? What about South Korea? When we traveled to S.K. via Beijing, it was China that took our fingerprints, not S.K.
As I understand it, South Korea takes fingerprint data from all citizens, permanent residents, visitors. I'm not sure what happened in your case. There are exceptions - usually for diplomats or, of course, if you're not flying into a Korean airport but into a US military base. In terms of my POI, he would have no restrictions travelling anywhere. Though I would imagine, if guilty, he'll never be returning to Japan and would likely avoid South Korea knowing that they have shared fingerprint data with the TMPD.
There is a couple of other questions, if he is a naturalized US citizen, US should have his fingerprints for sure, and if I am not mistaken, even visits to US need them, but not 100% sure.
My POI is American-born so I'm not convinced his fingerprints are lodged anywhere.

Are your questions in terms of my POI? He speaks Japanese to a good level. Not fluent but certainly enough to get by, move around etc. His mother is alive and well. Still with the father. No criminal records anywhere, so far as I can make out, except for repeated driving infractions down the years (across all three individuals).

I think he was a little older but younger than 20.

As I understand it, South Korea takes fingerprint data from all citizens, permanent residents, visitors. I'm not sure what happened in your case. There are exceptions - usually for diplomats or, of course, if you're not flying into a Korean airport but into a US military base. In terms of my POI, he would have no restrictions travelling anywhere. Though I would imagine, if guilty, he'll never be returning to Japan and would likely avoid South Korea knowing that they have shared fingerprint data with the TMPD.

My POI is American-born so I'm not convinced his fingerprints are lodged anywhere.

I assume I would remember being fingerprinted because I don’t fingerprint well. I’d remember the hassle. On a transit visa to China - you bet, everyone was fingerprinted. From China to South Korea, I don’t remember it. (Maybe my husband would.) Visitors to US are fingerprinted, and somewhere, during the course of your life here, you do leave fingerprints. I would like to know what other US citizens think, is it possible to live here without your fingerprints taken? DMV and US passport come to mind.

So here is the list of professions in the US that require fingerprints. Just to know if your pois fingerprints are in the system, or not.

To add: I verified the situation re fingerprints in South Korea with my husband. We traveled to S.K. in 2017 and we are just regular private tourists. We traveled to Beijing, applied for a transit visa for 72 hours, stayed in Beijing and then flew to Seoul.

(Here is the importance of having multiple witnesses to any event.) My husband doesn't remember the fingerprint part anywhere. At all. He remembers the inconvenience of dragging our luggage to three different places on entering China. Me being the reason for that problem, I don't remember the luggage part. However, i remember being fingerprinted three times and the jokes I made about it. But - we both agreed that in comparison to Beijing, everything was super easy in Seoul. No fingerprints.

P.S. Interpol of course shares the fingerprints; the country with the world's largest fingerprints database is India. Your poi has to sit in his state going nowhere not to ever be fingerprinted.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back