JoePa's Statue

What, if anything, should be done with JoePa's memorial statue?

• Leave it as is, and where it is.

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • Leave it as is, but move it to a different place on-campus.

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Leave it as is, but move it to a different place off campus.

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Take it down, move it way off campus, let us never learn what became of it.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • Melt it down, sell it off, and donate the proceeds to abuse survivors.

Votes: 89 54.6%
  • store it in a warehouse away from public view

Votes: 17 10.4%
  • Give it to the Paterno family.

Votes: 6 3.7%

• Total voters
I think as far as civil suits go, they probably can't go back much farther. They'd have to branch off of the convictions, in my opinion.

Although the Brown family successfully sued following the non conviction of OJ Simpson.

The Brown/Goldman suit would be an example. Maybe abuse that started after 2001, where you could claim failure to properly act in 2001, but I think only one post 2001 victim has come forward

This scandal will probably cost Penn State $150,000,000 when all is said and done. The thing is, Spanier saw it coming, and still signed off on it.

So far, I haven't liked very much about 2012. I won't be sorry to see it go.
Actually, I'm happy today that there's been some justice in the world lately: Sandusky was convicted and is in prison for life, Paterno's statue came down, and PSU was heavily fined, and the shooter in Colorado made his first court appearance today!

Small world:
"A local businessman who gave $25,000 for the Joe Paterno statue that was taken down this weekend would like to hear from the university about its decision and its plans for it. Eddie Lauth, a State College resident and the founder of Aqua Penn, went as far as asking a Centre County judge for preliminary injunction on Friday to stop Penn State from removing the bronze statue.

Lauth was one of dozens of donors, including local real estate developer Bob Poole, who also is the chairman of The Second Mile’s board of directors; Penn State trustees Ira Lubert, Jesse Arnelle, Jim Broadhurst and Al Clemens; and university donors Bill and Joan Schreyer, Mildred Lasch and Ed and Helen Hintz."
http://www.centredaily.com/2012/07/23/3270530/joe-paterno-statue-donor-had-asked.html#storylink=cpy

Another story says that 25 major donors contributed $650,000 to Penn for the statue, which cost about $400,000. Average donation: $25,000. Rakeoff to Penn Sate $250,000 for giving it space.

If I remember rightly:
Donor Lauth owns Aqua Pen, which had Joe P. as an investor-promoter.
Bob Poole was in "The Village" failed $125 MM real estate project with Paterno and Schreyer and I think maybe Schultz.. Poole was/is? CEO of Second Mile. Schreyers' daughter was on SM's Board. The showers were in the Lasch building. The Schreyers had something to do with Second Mile, I think. Lubert may still be a trustee. Broadhurst was the other Trustee beside Surma that Garban told when Baldwin told him Curley and Schultz were being charged. Wonder who the other 15 donors were?

http://espn.go.com/college-football...business-leaders-second-mile-according-report

It look as though the Paterno statue was pretty cost-effective "face" for "We Are Penn State Investors". It was erected in 2001 and "The Village" was underway at the time.

And the wall that surrounded the statue has been torn down. That explains the removal of the football players.

The arrogance of the Paterno family in speaking about what doesn't or doesn't 'serve' the victims is breathtaking, particularly when you consider that several of them wouldn't have BEEN victims if Joe Paterno had done the right thing.

The Brown/Goldman suit would be an example. Maybe abuse that started after 2001, where you could claim failure to properly act in 2001, but I think only one post 2001 victim has come forward

This scandal will probably cost Penn State $150,000,000 when all is said and done. The thing is, Spanier saw it coming, and still signed off on it.

JJ - Wasn't the Brown/Goldman/Family suit a Wrongful Death suit? I do not know anything about law or PA law -- what type suit could the victims bring? Seems like there ought to be something other than W.D.

JJ - Wasn't the Brown/Goldman/Family suit a Wrongful Death suit? I do not know anything about law or PA law -- what type suit could the victims bring? Seems like there out to be something other than W.D.

Yes, but the point is, you do not need a conviction to bring a civil suit.

Yep, that's so, JJ! One is a civil process and the other is a criminal process and ne'er the twain shall meet! I just don't know enuff about law to know what can be brought.

And the wall that surrounded the statue has been torn down. That explains the removal of the football players.

Wow. I didn't realize that was just a freestanding wall - I thought it was part of the outside of a building.

If anyone's interested, I just found ESPN is running an Outside the Lines special called "Penn State: The Price of Scandal" and they're basically covering the investigation from the beginning until now.

All in all, I'd rather be at Eagles Training camp than working for PSU this week.

A teachable moment for Penn State

http://articles.boston.com/2012-07-...e-president-rodney-erickson-penn-state-statue

If those who don’t know history are doomed to repeat it, maybe the removal of Joe Paterno’s statue from the front of Beaver Stadium isn’t such a great idea.

Left in place, the 900-pound iconic bronze monument could have warned future Penn State presidents and students about the danger of false heroes. Instead, university officials hauled off the statue to an undisclosed location..........

How about putting it in a lecture hall and building a serious curriculum around it? That could send a real message about a shift in Penn State priorities.

The course of study wouldn’t be football, it would be accountability, from the top down and the bottom up. The lessons wouldn’t be about victory on the field, they would be about moral responsibility. For case studies, students could examine other institutions in business, politics, religion, and academia that did the wrong thing — or the right thing, if examples exist — when faced with ethically challenging situations. The consequences could also be studied, and how long it takes before the public loses interest and moves onto the next outrage.........

Tucking away the Paterno statue doesn’t change that history. It makes it easier to forget and harder for Penn State to confront and change course.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back