John and the Basement Window

Solace

Reaction score
We need a new topic anyway. So does anyone have any thoughts on why John did not mention the window being open when he went down stairs that morning until much later in the investigation. It would seem that it would be to his benefit to mention this and I read in one of the stickers on this site regarding facts of the case that Blue Crab had sealed it for someone in proving that John was involved because he did not mention the window being open when he went down there and I am not following exactly why that proves his involvement. Can any one help?

I'm just as lost as you, Solace. The only thing I can come up with is that John still hadn't decided what story he was going to use.

My guess is because the window was not open. He only claimed it later to aid in the intruder theory.

We need a new topic anyway. So does anyone have any thoughts on why John did not mention the window being open when he went down stairs that morning until much later in the investigation. It would seem that it would be to his benefit to mention this and I read in one of the stickers on this site regarding facts of the case that Blue Crab had sealed it for someone in proving that John was involved because he did not mention the window being open when he went down there and I am not following exactly why that proves his involvement. Can any one help?

I think he'd thought about using the window as a staged entry point for the 'intruder',and I agree with the poster here who said he hadn't decided what story to use yet.But...I think he recalled later that he'd shown it to FW as being broken, right before he 'found' JB, and decided to go w. that,and also,he needed to account for his fresh fingerprints being on it (and I think for those 2 reasons,that's why he showed it to FW before going to JB's body).

Solace here is my rationale. If I were searcing the house and if my daughter were kidnapped the moment I located point of entry Id be screaming at the top pf my lungs for the police. Anyone would that was truly looking for something out of the ordinary that was looking for how an intruder gained entry or was afforded escape. Apparently that was not the case for John when he reports it way later. So in this case its not what seemed important to John to report that seems odd but what was not important enough to require immediate investigation. Sure rings the bell for me and gets my attention.

Does anyone have any thoughts on when the window was broken? I don't believe JR's story of being locked out,and I wonder if it could have been before LE arrived (as in during the night or early morning),or even later,when he went to the basement alone.
Or perhaps it happened sooner,as in over the summer.

Solace here is my rationale. If I were searcing the house and if my daughter were kidnapped the moment I located point of entry Id be screaming at the top pf my lungs for the police. Anyone would that was truly looking for something out of the ordinary that was looking for how an intruder gained entry or was afforded escape. Apparently that was not the case for John when he reports it way later. So in this case its not what seemed important to John to report that seems odd but what was not important enough to require immediate investigation. Sure rings the bell for me and gets my attention.

Thank you all for your responses. Everyone would be screaming at the top of their lungs if they found the window open.

Am I right when I say that John said he does not know why he waited so long to say anything?

Thank you all for your responses. Everyone would be screaming at the top of their lungs if they found the window open.

Am I right when I say that John said he does not know why he waited so long to say anything?

It is the giveaway that John cant be telling the truth when he says he does not know why he waited so long to say anything. He knows and he is certain to become a master at how one lie requires another and another to cover that and yet a few more to cover those! I have grave doubts the window was even broken! It would have made more sence if he had not tried to act like oh yeah I nearly forgot....when in truth he had to fabricate an entrance, and get that noticed. Too bad the itsty bitsy spider ruined all that no matter what he tried to do. Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive. JMHO

It is the giveaway that John cant be telling the truth when he says he does not know why he waited so long to say anything. He knows and he is certain to become a master at how one lie requires another and another to cover that and yet a few more to cover those! I have grave doubts the window was even broken! It would have made more sence if he had not tried to act like oh yeah I nearly forgot....when in truth he had to fabricate an entrance, and get that noticed. Too bad the itsty bitsy spider ruined all that no matter what he tried to do. Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive. JMHO

Is it possible that he was very very nervous at the time of the interviews and added it. Does anyone know when John first mentions the window being open?

The only thing I can come up with is that John still hadn't decided what story he was going to use.

I vote with Squish and thanks for opening a new thread. I never did like that actual vs desired thread. There's no answer to the question but it sure does help if you are writing a "new" JonBenet story and want fresh ideas (go ahead ... call me cynical, call me skeptical, but experience counts).

I vote with Squish and thanks for opening a new thread. I never did like that actual vs desired thread. There's no answer to the question but it sure does help if you are writing a "new" JonBenet story and want fresh ideas (go ahead ... call me cynical, call me skeptical, but experience counts).

Hi, and I agree. It was going no where fast. I have to check out the 1997 interviews and see if John mentions it there for the first time. :woohoo:

Here is John's take on the window in April 1997:

And you mentioned when you went down in the morning, the 26 and it was unlatched, did that strike you as odd or did you bring that to anybody’s attention?
JR: I, I don’t know. I mean when I was, I think, yeah, I think it probably struck me as a little odd, but it wasn’t, I mean sometimes that window would be open because the basement got hot, or one of those windows would be opened. So it wasn’t . . .[/font]
ST: Particularly unusual?[/font]
JR: It was dramatically out of the ordinary, but, that is, I thought about it."[/font]

So in other words, he said nothing. Why don't they press him on this? Is it me?:confused: nt]

And you mentioned when you went down in the morning, the 26 and it was unlatched, did that strike you as odd or did you bring that to anybody’s attention?
JR: I, I don’t know. I mean when I was, I think, yeah, I think it probably struck me as a little odd, but it wasn’t, I mean sometimes that window would be open because the basement got hot, or one of those windows would be opened. So it wasn’t . . .[/font]
JR: It was dramatically out of the ordinary, but, that is, I thought about it."[/font]

So in other words, he said nothing. Why don't they press him on this? Is it me?:confused: nt]

No it isn't you and that one excerpt is classical as far as an interviewee using every known prop to avoid the truth while trying to support a lie in an interview.

It reminds me of an old song .... "Liar, liar, pants on fire. Your nose is longer than a telephone wire." :liar:

No it isn't you and that one excerpt is classical as far as an interviewee using every known prop to avoid the truth while trying to support a lie in an interview.

It reminds me of an old song .... "Liar, liar, pants on fire. Your nose is longer than a telephone wire." :liar:

Sounds like my brother, Frank. He can drive one crazy - every other word is probably so.

I saw a show by an FBI profiler and he said most liars will use the word probably and I said to my self "Self, you are right about Frank".

BOESP, I understand exactly what you mean about his conversation, it is transparent as glass. It was probably revolting for Thomas to have to sit and listen to the two of them.

It was FW who supposedly points out the broken window to JR when they were in the basement, just before the body was "found". JR tells him at that time that HE broke the window months before.
Later, when he was asked about the broken window by LE, he repeats what he told FW that morning- that he had broken it that summer when he was locked out of the house and went in through the window.
If JR truly intended to use that broken window as an intruder's point of entry, he would never have admitted that he broke it, even if he did. He also said that he thought PR would have gotten it taken care of by now, and I know I saw where they supposedly asked the housekeeper LHP to have her husband fix the window, but that it hadn't been done. That was obviously something that LHP could corroberate if she was asked.
The only think I can think of is that it WAS the truth- or that JR knew there would be no evidence of any prints except his own. But that's not a great fit either.
So let's say it was the truth- JR broke it. And he forgot about it. Then when in the basement with FW- a really stressful situation with FW right there, LE upstairs, his dead daughter 10 feet away in the wineceller and Pandora's box about to open, FW points out the broken window and without thinking, JR tells him the TRUTH. (I know, one of few). Of course that would be a perfect "intruder" point of entry, but he's already told the truth, and as his prints would likely be found there, he simply lets it go and doesn't mention it.

Yeah, that makes no flippin' sense. JR: "I, I don't know. I mean when I was, I think, yeah, I think it probably struck me as a little odd, but it wasn't....."

JR: "It was dramatically out of the ordinary, but, that is, I thought about it".

HUH? WHAT? What the h*ll was THAT??

At first he DOESN'T KNOW if the window being unlatched, was odd or not. And then it WAS ODD, and then it WASN'T ODD, and then it WAS ODD to the point of being "dramatically out of the ordinary". I am confused....:confused: So, WAS it or WASN'T it??

Yeah, that makes no flippin' sense. JR: "I, I don't know. I mean when I was, I think, yeah, I think it probably struck me as a little odd, but it wasn't....."

JR: "It was dramatically out of the ordinary, but, that is, I thought about it".

HUH? WHAT? What the h*ll was THAT??

At first he DOESN'T KNOW if the window being unlatched, was odd or not. And then it WAS ODD, and then it WASN'T ODD, and then it WAS ODD to the point of being "dramatically out of the ordinary". I am confused....:confused: So, WAS it or WASN'T it??

He says he does not know if he brought it to any one's attention. SO WHY WAS HE NOT PRESSED ABOUT THIS? I can't take much more.:behindbar

He says he does not know if he brought it to any one's attention. SO WHY WAS HE NOT PRESSED ABOUT THIS? I can't take much more.:behindbar

Playing dumb usually works...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back