Jonathan Winters Dead at 87

Discussion in 'Celebrity and Entertainment News' started by Softail, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Softail

Softail New Member

Jonathan Winters, the comedic film and TV actor who was huge in the '70s and '80s on shows like "Mork and Mindy," has died at age 87 ... TMZ has learned.

Winters died last night of natural causes in Montecito, Calif, around 6:30 p.m., surrounded by friends and family.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/04/12/jonathan-winters-dies-dead/#ixzz2QGuFrHaa

2. Loading...

3. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

RIP Jonathon, a hilarious man, thanks for the laughs!

4. marycarney

marycarney Inactive

He would come on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson dressed as Maudie Frickert - the little old lady inthe black dress. The guy was just plain funny. He was Robin Williams before Robin Williams.

RIP Mr. Winters

5. Softail

Softail New Member

RIP - He was very funny!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTgzZb-VVs"]Jonathan Winters roasts Johnny Carson - YouTube[/ame]

6. tezi

tezi Member of Websleuths since 2000.

RIP Jonathan, one of the best comedians ever! :(:tears::cry:

7. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

He was one of my Big Three: a guy whose work helped convince a shy Kansas boy about three steps off the farm that it was possible to get up and work before a crowd - in my case, a crowded classroom, as a teacher. I didn't realize the above, of course, for years, but Richard Pryor (telling stories is funnier than telling jokes), Johnny Carson (impeccable sense of comic timing he himself had learned from Jack Benny), and Jonathan Winters - improv all the way - shaped my life as surely as did W.H. Auden or H.D. Thoreau.

Requiescat in pace Jonathan Winters. Thank you.

8. TrackerSam

TrackerSam New Member

Robin copied his act. Winters was a comedic genious.

9. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

The thing about JW was, he could self-edit while in the process of doing improv - an amazing talent especially when things are moving that fast. RW can't, or at least doesn't.

10. shana

shana New Member

Great talent gone...but he lived a long & good life and gave us so much! There is some solace there in his passing...for me anyway. And gratitude for the legacy he left behind, and all the chuckles in the meantime.

It was hard to avoid him in the past 20 yrs or more in our community. JW was always available for chat; and if you did not ask, he would engage you in conversation. I'm quite sure that the tourists he approached were thrilled.

His artwork is also a special gift he left behind. I've inherited the book I had given to my Dad long ago...

Altogether, JW was an exception: a multi-talented man with an open heart...and a friend to all of us who live here in 'cito! He will be sorely missed.

R.I.P.