Jose "Quite Frankly" Baez

OK, I couldn't resist. Someone took one of Baez's pressers and edited out everything but the Ummms. Filed under Comedy.

If you can make it past one minute, you're a trooper. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-fwKOt_gWE

OMG Muzikman!!! Please to not make me snort fine cab sauv out my nose like that ever again. The cat is damp and horrified, not to mention DH, and I don't think the laptop keyboard will ever be the same again.

So I soldiered on past one minute and then had to ask myself--who is this suave lawyerman with the total lack of speech fillers? It was creepy, like watching some Borg version of JB. Thank you for that lovely post and I will think of you as I squeegee my screen here.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm....quite frankly.....I would ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm appreciate Depends prior to the posting of these videos.

Actually, after 1:17, they play the whole presser ("and he's STILL super-boring", heh)

It's quite interesting. He's defending himself against allegations about him and Casey fooling around, says after this is over he will still be a member of this community and we'll have to deal with him, blah blah blah.

Pretty revealing! I had forgotten about this.

Actually, after 1:17, they play the whole presser ("and he's STILL super-boring", heh)

It's quite interesting. He's defending himself against allegations about him and Casey fooling around, says after this is over he will still be a member of this community and we'll have to deal with him, blah blah blah.

Pretty revealing! I had forgotten about this.

Bawaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

And then beginning at 5:16...he asserts that he is the "First Hispanic Lawyer with a case of this magnitude".

A gem this one is...a gem.

I was taught to always distrust anyone who said "trust me". (There should be no reason to point out your own trustworthiness!) "Quite Frankly" has a similar sense about it...why wouldn't Baez be frank? Why wouldn't he ALWAYS be frank especially addressing the court?? It's a titch insulting, really. His choice of word-tic shows his inexperience.

Indeed. I heard a body language type expert say that when someone says, "to be perfectly honest with you..." means they are NOT being honest and trying hard to convince that they are.

When Baez Herman says it, I think he is trying to over emphasize a statement he does not have much confidence in to give it a boost.

We've been told in law school to Nix he "clearly" and I suppose we should not add "quite frankly". I shall bring it to the attention of the word police at school.

One of my very good professors always stresses the economy of language. Be able to get your point across - chapter and verse (statute, code, case citation) and then be done. Blow hards who go on and on train people to tune out and not give them much weight.

Baez could use the economy of language lesson.

Of all the words in the English dictionary to choose from, I was really surprised when Baez used the word "atmosphere". It made me laugh. Priceless! :abnormal:Him and his use of the word "inappropriate" on many, many occasions, I just found it a bit inappropriate, to use THAT word when talking about a court room setting. IDK Maybe it's just me, making too big a deal out of it. Very funny IMO.

I'm no expert, but in my opinion - it's more "speech filler" that seems to be commonly associated with the Anthony's and people surrounding them. The kind of stuff your typical English 101 professor encourages you to eliminate from your papers as it is mostly redundant. It is just redundant filler, which mostly when used people think it's making them appear more educated when it actually has the exact opposite effect.

My English professor told me in my first term paper that I wrote a good paper and got my point across well, but that if I avoided wordiness I'd have had a much more concise and more informative paper. Of course I was just trying to meet the word-count guidelines.

From a "Power Writing" article I found:

http://www.zeromillion.com/webmarketing/power-writing-101-tips-and-tricks.html

Reminds me of Mark Twain saying "I never write 'metropolis' when I can get paid as much for writing 'city'."

I think it is just a fallback phrase. Although a funny one considering it basically means "honestly" and he is trying to do anything possible from keeping the hardest truth of all from being focused on in this trial (the fact that his client murdered her beautiful little girl).

I take it sort of the same way I take people who use the word "like" in every other sentence. Or those who use "literally" all over the place. Or my least favorite "ya know". I think you get the drift.

I don't feel there is any major significance to it other than it is a speech pattern he has fallen into and may be his way of trying to appear accomplished and inteligent.

MOO = EPIC FAIL

Of all the words in the English dictionary to choose from, I was really surprised when Baez used the word "atmosphere". It made me laugh. Priceless! :abnormal:Him and his use of the word "inappropriate" on many, many occasions, I just found it a bit inappropriate, to use THAT word when talking about a court room setting. IDK Maybe it's just me, making too big a deal out of it. Very funny IMO.

LOL at least he didn't say ambiance

I always love it when people misuse words in an attempt to appear more erudite or articluate. Fave examples: one of my sister's bosses told her she was so glad she'd arrived as they were undulated with customers. And when I was watching "Girl Meets Gown" (don't be hatin'!) one of the brides said she couldn't justify spending such an exubarant amount of money on a dress.

Someone referrenced the "supposeably" rather than supposedly useage- my sisters and I thougth that was a hoot on Friends and started saying it to each other. We finally stopped when we figured people might think we actually speak like that.

Baez use of "quite frankly" when talking about discovery made me think that he didn't know what he had or didn't have, was aware of that, but trying not to sound like he didn't know. As in, quite frankly, we need ALL of the expert statements...which ones specificaly? Quite frankly, I don't have any idea!

Bawaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

And then beginning at 5:16...he asserts that he is the "First Hispanic Lawyer with a case of this magnitude".

A gem this one is...a gem.

Bold mine.

Dang...now I gotta listen all the way through...I want to hear the bolded above just once more...just so I can practice my guffawing!!! :crazy:

I just wonder if he thinks it makes him sound more like an experienced lawyer (NOT!). I wonder if CM told him to use it to make him sound better, and it backfired to make him only sound more annoying instead.

It's like trying to dress a wolf in sheep's clothing in the vain hope the other sheep will think the wolf is an actual sheep. Quite Frankly, it's not working.

It's so funny, because it makes him sound like a idiot. When would a defense lawyer not be frank? Oh wait, when he is dancing around the facts..lol

I believe it is just a speech tic he has picked up and now an ingrained habit. One of my co-workers says "quite honestly" roughly 10,001 times a day....

From reading I have done, experts say that when someone says "quite honestly" or "quite frankly" it is a red flag and indicates that much of what else they say is NOT frank or honest and subconsciously they are drawing attention to what they really want you to believe. But I do not think my co-worker is inherently dishonest much of the time, but rather has lazy speech habits.

BBM

See, this is what I have always thought about JB and his speech. It's like when someone repeats the question you just asked them before attempting to answer. They are most likely not going to be honest or are buying time. These aren't necessary to the correct answer, but do serve a purpose to the speaker only. JMO.

From reading I have done, experts say that when someone says "quite honestly" or "quite frankly" it is a red flag and indicates that much of what else they say is NOT frank or honest and subconsciously they are drawing attention to what they really want you to believe.

snipped...

Kind of like when people begin a sentence with "not to be racist but....." You know something really racist and offensive is about to come out of their mouths.

As an Argentinean myself, living in Miami, I have to say that IMO Spanish has nothing to do with Baez saying "Quite Frankly" all the time. I have never heard the word "francamente" (spelling ?) used any more in Spanish than normal people do in English. I think he knows he sounds less educated than the other lawyers, and thinks that phrase makes him sound more educated. Instead he sounds ridonkulous lol

you guys are cracking me up!

I work for an Attorney and that is his fave words! "Quite Frankly"
every time I hear it I just laugh and think of Baez.

As an Argentinean myself, living in Miami, I have to say that IMO Spanish has nothing to do with Baez saying "Quite Frankly" all the time. I have never heard the word "francamente" (spelling ?) used any more in Spanish than normal people do in English. I think he knows he sounds less educated than the other lawyers, and thinks that phrase makes him sound more educated. Instead he sounds ridonkulous lol

I've spoken Spanish since I was a child and I've, Quite Frankly, only heard the word "francamente" once in my whole life!

A better translation of this adverb "Frankly" for Baez would be "Plainly".
It suits him better...And used in a sentence:

"I am quite plainly an average attorney with a Masters Degree in the Hem and Haw vocabulary"!

I've spoken Spanish since I was a child and I've, Quite Frankly, only heard the word "francamente" once in my whole life!

A better translation of this adverb "Frankly" for Baez would be "Plainly".
It suits him better...And used in a sentence:

"I am quite plainly an average attorney with a Masters Degree in the Hem and Haw vocabulary"!

I'm Cuban (born in Miami) from Miami and my parents use "para ser te franco/a" and "let's be frank" translateed vamos a ser franco/a ,quite often in conversation.

snipped...

Kind of like when people begin a sentence with "not to be racist but....." You know something really racist and offensive is about to come out of their mouths.

I know, right? Just like, "I don't mean to be rude, but..." or "blah, blah, blah negative thing about you, no offense."

To be frank, quite frankly, I like pasta. Not to be racist, but I don't like wontons or Chinese food. And those jeans really do make your *advertiser censored* look fat, no offense. Probably all the wontons and pasta.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back