Josh Duggar charged with Receipt/Possession Child Sexual Abuse Material, 29 April 2021 *guilty* #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. I know that the evidence shows that he only viewed CSAM on those few days. If that's actually true, it does potentially speak to remorse. But I wonder if he panicked when he realized that his actions were traceable and found another device to continue access. That device may be as-yet undiscovered, or it could have been precluded from trial for some evidentiary reason that never got to the motion stage. His history - the molestations, the Ashley Madison encounters, etc - doesn't show that he did something once and then stopped.

Of course, the alternative is that there was never another hidden device...I hope the children have a safe trusted adult.

I don’t think it shows remorse. Remorse would be if he went to a psychologist to deal with his issue. Finding evidence of access only on a handful of days doesn’t indicate he wasn’t accessing it on other days as well. It just indicates that is what they were able to find.

IMO what they find in cases like this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to bad conduct on that part of these predators.

From the article above:

"It is unlikely that that he will ever view his conviction as anything other than proof that he needs to be more circumspect and secretive the next time he engages in conduct involving child sexual abuse.".

Exactly.

Interesting that this article mentions the many letters of support, and that not even ONE letter mentioned his crime, aside from subtle innuendos that Josh Duggar had been "set up". That denial of his crime from his supporters makes it more likely that he will be enabled to re-offend. Interesting.

My own opinion is that sentencing comes with whether or not there is any potential for rehabilitation. Josh Duggar has continued to double down on his defense that it wasn't him. It was anyone else in the world, aside from Josh Duggar.

His lack of accountability, remorse, access to children, complete denial or acknowledgement of his crimes by his wife is more than concerning. I would say ten years. But would not be surprised by 20.
I am hopeful that his lack of remorse and taking responsibility for his actions will weigh in favor of the 20 years requested by the prosecution and backed by their extremely well thought out arguments.
Wow - the prosecution makes some very strong arguments for 20 years! I'm feeling pretty optimistic - and it looks like those letters from his family backfired. Directly from the prosecution's filing for a 20 year sentence. BBM.

"Indeed, his supportive family and public-facing and privileged lifestyle make his pattern of criminal conduct all the more baffling. Despite achieving some level of fame through reality television as an adult, he is better known at this point for his behavior outside his family’s show, including his sexual improprieties and criminal sexual conduct. More importantly, none of these letters meaningfully grapple with his crimes or his sexual proclivities toward prepubescent girls. At least one suggests that ‘enemies’ threatened by his ‘quiet display of conservative values’ are targeting him while simultaneously advancing his impossible theory that ‘an unscrupulous young man’ framed him. Many more describe his conviction generally as an unfortunate happenstance — something that has simply befallen him despite his best efforts to avoid it. That is precisely the problem.

Absent some recognition from Duggar of his crimes and his need to address his demonstrated and long-standing sexual interest in children, it is unlikely that that he will ever view his conviction as anything other than proof that he needs to be more circumspect and secretive the next time he engages in conduct involving child sexual abuse."

ETA - @mickey2942 - I see you had the same reaction!

Gotta love this prosecution team. From the article:

More importantly, none of these letters meaningfully grapple with his crimes or his sexual proclivities toward prepubescent girls. At least one suggests that ‘enemies’ threatened by his ‘quiet display of conservative values’ are targeting him while simultaneously advancing his impossible theory that ‘an unscrupulous young man’ framed him. Many more describe his conviction generally as an unfortunate happenstance — something that has simply befallen him despite his best efforts to avoid it. That is precisely the problem.

Gotta love this prosecution team. From the article:

More importantly, none of these letters meaningfully grapple with his crimes or his sexual proclivities toward prepubescent girls. At least one suggests that ‘enemies’ threatened by his ‘quiet display of conservative values’ are targeting him while simultaneously advancing his impossible theory that ‘an unscrupulous young man’ framed him. Many more describe his conviction generally as an unfortunate happenstance — something that has simply befallen him despite his best efforts to avoid it. That is precisely the problem.

It’s not the depraved mean evil Duggar-hating liberals that are his “enemies.” Basic human decency is his “enemy.”

LaCount Reber is a close family friend with whom Duggar lived during his pretrial conditional release. He explains that the defendant “displayed a great amount of patience and kindness as he interacted with [Reber’s] wife and children,” exhibiting “a great deal of care and consideration.”

Am I reading this correctly? JD was allowed to live with a family with children during his conditional release?
This shows exactly what one of the major problems is with child sex abuse. Adults--court officials, spouses, family friends, etc. still don't see, experience or understand the reality of what it means to be a sexual predator of children or what it means to be a child vulnerable to sexual abuse. There was a time in the 1950s/60s when the common way of handling sexual abuse of a child in a neighborhood was to talk to the family and/or the abuser directly, and keep the child away from the area of exploitation--police were not contacted. Things have changed somewhat--predators are now be arrested and sent to jail. But the permissive, making excuses, down playing, and forgiving the behavior of the predator mentality and culture still exists, imo.

https://www.insider.com/josh-duggar-child-*advertiser censored*-sentence-documents-2022-5

Josh Duggar accuses feds of seeking an 'unprecedented' sentence of 20 years for child *advertiser censored*, begs for the minimum sentence possible​

Josh Duggar accuses feds of seeking an 'unprecedented' sentence of 20 years for child *advertiser censored*, begs for the minimum sentence possible​

Here's an article published 15 Feb. 2019 on the matter of child abuse class action suits, which highlights further the discriminatory ways that child sexual abuse is viewed in the legal community. The author makes the claim: "Trauma operates through each victim differently, so the victim who is touched over their clothing doesn’t necessarily have less severe PTSD than the victim more violently touched. The child abused a few times might have severe depression and substance abuse, while the one who was abused over years might thrive. That is the science of trauma." I don't know ONE child who was abused sexually that has "thrived" without some sort of serious collateral damage done to them by being sexually abused as a child. The article rightly illustrates how pointless it often is for a sexually abused child to come forward with sexual abuse allegations as an adult seeking justice and damages in a State court of law. I think there should be a class action suit brought by people who were sexually abused as children to the Supreme Court demanding Federally mandated laws nationwide to punish child sex abuse offenders and those who hide, enable, or otherwise aid the offender's behavior with specific punishments/sentences and fines--the fines could be put in a fund to help pay child abuse victims , as well as the cost in tracking and arresting offenders, such as Josh Duggar.

I agree. I know that the evidence shows that he only viewed CSAM on those few days. If that's actually true, it does potentially speak to remorse. But I wonder if he panicked when he realized that his actions were traceable and found another device to continue access. That device may be as-yet undiscovered, or it could have been precluded from trial for some evidentiary reason that never got to the motion stage. His history - the molestations, the Ashley Madison encounters, etc - doesn't show that he did something once and then stopped.

Of course, the alternative is that there was never another hidden device...I hope the children have a safe trusted adult.

I have no doubt in my mind that there's another device out there. There was a flash drive attached to the computer before the Linux partition was created. That flash drive was never recovered. There's no definitive way to tell if a file has been copied so there's no way to be sure he did that unless you found the flash drive.

Gilfand also contends someone plugged a thumb drive into the computer the day the partition was installed and opened files that had been created on a different computer, a Dell. That drive was not among those found by investigators when they searched the dealership, he said.
https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2021...hild-*advertiser censored*/?news-arkansas-nwa

It would not surprise me in the least if Josh has a hidden laptop or tablet somewhere. It's not uncommon for cars purchased at auction to have electronics left behind. People trade in the car (or it gets repossessed), the car gets sold at auction as-is, and the dealership that buys it at auction is then responsible for cleaning up the car for resale.

There would be absolutely no trace of Josh having that laptop because it came from a random car. The only question is where is it now and if someone finds it, will they turn it over to the authorities?

EDIT: I don't know how to make the above link work but it's on nwaonline.com and the title is "Josh Duggar trial: Federal investigator details what was found on computer"

Not to harp on the wide ranging aspects of sexual exploitation and abuse of children but this article came out today discussing girls going into puberty as young as six years old now, and I think it fits into our discussion of Josh Duggar...
I was glad to see the article point out, "Experts have already known that young girls who suffer sexual abuse are more likely to experience an early puberty." In 1990, it was estimated that one in every three girls had experienced some sort of sexual abuse. Today, I am sure that number is more like 50 percent of all girls have experienced some sort of sexual abuse. Sexual abuse of children is an epidemic problem in our country with wide ranging potentially disastrous consequences for children. I really believe children should be a protected class against sexual abuse. Josh Duggar is an excellent case study on how a predator evolves in a family setting, how people connected to him react when he is uncovered as being a sexual predator--and how the legal community and Court view the crime and punishment of child sexual abuse. I hope something more than Josh just going to prison comes out of this story. I think more stringent forms of punishment need to be consistently given to child sex offenders...they shouldn't 't be allowed to haggle for a lower sentence--and surely there must be some way that the sharing of children being sexually abused via the internet can be stopped.

I think that it is significant that with a huge family, extended family, church network, only two people, his mother, and his wife, wrote letters of support. Maybe other people did...but news articles have only mentioned Anna's letter, and Michelle's letter.

Noted.

I think that it is significant that with a huge family, extended family, church network, only two people, his mother, and his wife, wrote letters of support. Maybe other people did...but news articles have only mentioned Anna's letter, and Michelle's letter.

Noted.

There were a few more. LaCount Reber (the chaperone), a pastor, his FIL, a neighbor, and someone else to whom Josh brought medicine.

@Shamrock1 thanks. I knew that there were a few more. Not his father, but his FIL? Not one sibling? Not one co-worker?

Interesting.

I understand why his father didn’t submit one - the judge knew he was lying when he just couldn’t recall anything about his son sexually abusing four of his daughters.

A co-worker would probably hold more weight than a sibling. Perhaps one of those co-workers is miffed that the defense tried to pin it on him.

There were a few more. LaCount Reber (the chaperone), a pastor, his FIL, a neighbor, and someone else to whom Josh brought medicine.
Each letter was more disgusting than the one before it. IMO. Another poster attached a few of the letters a couple of pages back.

@gitana1, is the judge able to factor in to the sentence the ages of Josh’s daughters and the risk to them from him if he is out of prison before they are adults? I can’t imagine how it would be for them if he hurt them in the middle of the family-wide denial and delusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Postalgirl74