Judge orders parents to change son's name because only Jesus earned name Messiah

There is a guy (game developer) who's name is American. I believe there is an actress with the name America. People name their kids all sorts of stuff and yes some of them are pretty ridiculous (Paltrow naming her kid Apple) but you should have the freedom to do so. It's not like it's that hard to get it changed at some point down the road.

America Ferrera, the very talented star of the English-languge TV version of UGLY BETTY.

Judge ruling..sorry, my English is confusing, even to myself.
And isn't Jesus' name in Aramaic Yeshua?

Yes, it is. My point was merely that it was a common name in the language of his parents. "Jesus" is apparently the English form of the Greek version of Yeshua (which is spelled "Joshua" in English, BTW).

http://christianity.about.com/od/faqhelpdesk/f/jesusoryeshua.htm

Excuse me for a religious comment, but the above is why I don't understand literal, fundamentalist readings of the Bible. All too often we are talking about translations of translations.

Ran into an old friend at the grocery store yesterday and realized he deserves mention in this thread. His first name's Christos. Yeah, Greek spelling of Christ. He says it's a fairly common Greek name.

It's a woman judge and when she was interviewed it was CLEARLY a ruling she made on her own personal opinion and beliefs. She obviously did NO research-- as the SSA states that Messiah is now the number 4 most popular name for boys being registered at the current time.

There are clearly no laws regulating what a child can be named.....the Hollywood "elite" have certainly proved that true!

A Judge that knows nothing about the Separation of Church and State? That's flipping frightening!!!!

Doesn't George Foreman have like 10 children all named George Foreman?

I think Donald Trump is pissed he didn't think of that first;)

My fathers first name was Jesus. He was named after his father. I guess this judge never read the constitution. The word freedom is in there several times. The meaning of Messiah is anointed or the anointed one. Comes from the Hebrew word "Masah" meaning to smear or anoint.

Who says it's "Meh-sigh-ah?"

If I was the mom, I'd just say I pronounce it "Meh-SHE-EE-Uh," and that ain't Jesus.

Case closed.

As a survivor of the elementary school system in the 1960's I am here to testify that it DOES NOT MATTER what you name your child. SOMEONE will pick on you. Hannah you fat banana, Georgie Porgie, Sue, Sooooie!! and the list goes on. Quite honestly the biggest shock in my life has been the realization that small children are nasty, mean, cruel, self-centered, abusive creatures.

They bite, spit, kick, hit, pull hair, throw rocks at you, lock you in small dark areas of great fear, laugh as you are in pain or in immense fear, play mind games that NO ADULT could master. They put glue in your new mittens, tie your shoe laces together so you trip and break a tooth then LAUGH HISTERICALLY, call you names and SHUN YOU.

Nothing this woman could name her child will matter.

Get a clue.

AND PS if I can't say the Lord's Prayer at a school function then this balding, thin lipped dogma of a religious nutjob judge sure as @#$@# isn't going to impose HER religious opinions on someone else.

(Because regardless of what you think of this name, it's the judge's decision that is extraordinarily flawed here...Separation of church and state anyone? )

Anyone named RUTH please exit the building to the left for a name change.

Apparently naming your son, 'DICK' doesn't raise any red flags. :facepalm:

(Teacher pointing to the kindergartners) --------> "And as for all the rest of you...Peter, Daniel, Mathew, MARK I SEE YOU over there, Luke!, and JOHN all of you OUT!! There's an officer waiting to see you down at the courthouse."

"People these days...naming their child just anything from the Bible...GEEZZZ"

:jail:

(Teacher looks down at her name tag)..."Oh wait! My name is Sarah."

stupid stupid stupid choice of names/ ugh, IMOO

Now here is a name to get upset about if you are a guy.

[video=youtube;_rleFAS_B04]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rleFAS_B04[/video]

oh her real name is Dana. I have no problem with anyone naming there kid anything. And messiah is a popular name. My kid goes to daycare with a boy named messiah.

AND PS if I can't say the Lord's Prayer at a school function then this balding, thin lipped dogma of a religious nutjob judge sure as @#$@# isn't going to impose HER religious opinions on someone else.

(Because regardless of what you think of this name, it's the judge's decision that is extraordinarily flawed here...Separation of church and state anyone? )

Anyone named RUTH please exit the building to the left for a name change.

You may say the Lord's Prayer anywhere you like, particularly if you don't disrupt the proceedings. It just can't be part of the school's official program for the evening because the school shouldn't be endorsing prayers.

Why should a child's name be determined by a judge? Disgusting is that what that is IMO

What about Jermajesty?
I thought that was pretty crazy... but it was allowed. :waitasec:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong