Judge orders parents to change son's name because only Jesus earned name Messiah

Tenn. judge: Parents can name their baby 'Messiah'

----------------------

At an appeal hearing in Cocke County Chancery Court on Wednesday, Chancellor Telford E. Forgety overturned Ballew's decision, finding that she acted unconstitutionally.

Forgety said that there is no basis in the law for changing a child's first name where both parents are in agreement about it.
He also said that Ballew's decision violates the Establishment Clause of the U.S. Constitution.

By agreement of the parents, Forgety ordered the child's name to be changed to Messiah Deshawn McCullough.

Speaking after the hearing, Jaleesa Martin said she found Ballew's original ruling "ridiculous" and had been confident it would be overturned.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=26875805&ni...their-baby-messiah&fm=home_page&s_cid=queue-8

Tenn. judge: Parents can name their baby 'Messiah'

----------------------

At an appeal hearing in Cocke County Chancery Court on Wednesday, Chancellor Telford E. Forgety overturned Ballew's decision, finding that she acted unconstitutionally.

Forgety said that there is no basis in the law for changing a child's first name where both parents are in agreement about it.
He also said that Ballew's decision violates the Establishment Clause of the U.S. Constitution.

By agreement of the parents, Forgety ordered the child's name to be changed to Messiah Deshawn McCullough.

Speaking after the hearing, Jaleesa Martin said she found Ballew's original ruling "ridiculous" and had been confident it would be overturned.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=26875805&ni...their-baby-messiah&fm=home_page&s_cid=queue-8

Good :) I hope the judge is reprimanded, as well. This whole thing is just insane.

P.S. I had a neighbor whose mother-given first name is Hitler. I don't know why his mother apparently hated him. Personally, I would go by Hector or something...anything else...Messiah, perhaps lol.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk 4

We may make mistakes in East Tennessee, but we can fire 'em or take 'em out one way or 'nother when we realize it!

I still shake my head at the name Quvenzhané.

Her parents explained that the first part of her name is a combination of her parents names. Her mother is Qulyndreia , and her father is Venjie Wallis, Sr. the first part of her name ("Quven") , combines the first syllables of her parents' first names.

Her parents claimed that the "zhane" part of her name is the Swahili word for fairy but Swahili language expert has debunked that saying there is no such word in Swahili.

She has a sister, Qunyquekya, (and two brothers, named Vejon and Venjie Jr).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back