Judge Perry admonishes Jose Baez

What recourse does the Judge have if Baez continues to "go rogue?" We know already that he is trying to sneak in the molestation without having Casey testify. What if he continues with his Gotcha strategy. IMO all Baez wants is this ONE WIN...at any cost. He could care less about sanctions after the trial. He thinks he will be set for life if he wins.

What can the Judge do if he continues on in this sleazy fashion?

What recourse does the Judge have if Baez continues to "go rogue?" We know already that he is trying to sneak in the molestation without having Casey testify. What if he continues with his Gotcha strategy. IMO all Baez wants is this ONE WIN...at any cost. He could care less about sanctions after the trial. He thinks he will be set for life if he wins.

What can the Judge do if he continues on in this sleazy fashion?

he can throw him in jail for contempt of court and hit him with big fines.

Answering my own question:

I guess it had to do with Spitz possibly seeing a video of Dr. G's testimony when he did an interview. Ashton found it wasn't true.

Yes, I know what he said today.:) This is not what he said early on during the Frye hearings. He stated,"If it's not in the report,you won't be able to use it. At that time he didn't say there may be an exception to his rule.I like HHJP. I have the utmost respect for him. However, I expect a Judge to follow through with what he says. IMO, JA expected the same.

I agree. HHJP has given JB way too wide a berth throughout all the pretrial hearings as JB missed deadlines, behaved sneakily or feigned ignorance with no repercussions despite HHJP's threats. It's little surprise that JB thought he'd get away with sliding this through as well. He should have been admonished and held to consequences a looong time ago. Perhaps then HHJP wouldn't find himself in the position he's now in (his words).

JP is right in waiting to make any decisions. Now JB knows he is being watched and wont be trying to pull anything (hopefully). I still can't believe JB thought he was going to get away with it in the first place.

JP is right in waiting to make any decisions. Now JB knows he is being watched and wont be trying to pull anything (hopefully). I still can't believe JB thought he was going to get away with it in the first place.

BBM
Don't bet on it. JB's unmitigated hubris knows no bounds and I'm convinced the man is shameless. He will continue with his underhanded ways which, like his client, come so naturally to them.
And welcome to you, Kelley!

What was he talking about when he said there was a possible violation of sequestration that they talked about at 8:30?

I think I read a tweet that said a juror showed up very early at the jurors meeting site to be taken into the courtroom. I don't know any more than that.

Why was JB so pizzed when he said he was going take the deposition from the witness at 1pm and the state was welcome to come along and then the judge said NO that the state was going to take it?? Am I right in thinking its because JB wouldnt have time to prep the witness?

Outside of his narcissism as noted in an earlier post, it was an issue of the Court's ruling and its precise meaning. HHJBP has just spent a good deal of time laying out clearly his reasons for considering remedies for JB's "intentional" violation of his order. JB's response was to rather petulantly announce that he would depose the witness, as though somehow HHJBP was doing something unfair to him.

HHJBP wanted him to understand that the essential part of his concern, and the reason for the order in the first place, was to provide bth sides adequate access to information to be used at trial. In this case, the most important issue in light of this discovery was to provide the SAO with access to the witness in order to glean what he intended to offer as testimony.

He also wanted to make the point that he didn't care one hoot whether JB got anything one way or the other. I think he felt that under the circumstances that was a particularly nervy assumption on JB's part anyway. Contrition is not JB's strong suit.

:cow:

Wasn't Baez sanctioned before by Judge Perry?

As much as I dislike KC, her getting a fair trial is of utmost importance. Do we really want HHJP to do something that could get KC's conviction overturned? I don't think any of us want that. IMO, the man knows what he's doing.

Seeing HHJP refusing to allow the witness to testify would be some awesome instant gratification, but it will be far more gratifying to see Caylee Marie get justice.

My opinions...

Thank you was not enough. I bet HHJP hates doing it as much as we do but he is trying to keep the chance of it getting reversed on appeal to a minimum. He know what JB is doing. Remember he is a former prosecutor himself.

As for JB, he must live by the motto 'it is better to beg forgiveness than ask for permission'.

Baez saying he's going to take the deposition of his own witness was further evidence of his lack of knowledge and inexperience. The reason for taking the deposition of an expert is to determine what his opinion is and the basis for it, so you can prepare to challenge it. It's done in the formal procedure of a deposition because the other side's expert won't talk to you otherwise, and because you want the expert under oath and a record of the questioning, so you can rely on the expert to testify at trial what he told you.

But it makes no sense to say you are taking the deposition of your own expert. Your own expert will talk to you -- you are paying him or her to talk to you. And you can expect your own expert will not deceive you even if he is not under oath or "on the record".

Always nice to get legal perspective from an actual lawyer!

We knew what the outcome would be just from researching it back then. We have always known that the exclusion of evidence or testimony, particularly in a capital murder case, will be the absolute last resort of the judge and he would exhaust every other tool in his chest against the lawyers before finally taking action that would also include the defendant.

Nevertheless, HHJP did say that. Right??:)

Hoping HHJP's warning will also serve as a warning to JB about the grief counselor's testimony. JB is desperate to get molestation introduced without ICA's testimony. Hopefully this will circumvent it. Check mate, this is not HHJP's first rodeo.

JMO

sorry, haven't read the whole thread - but I caught a picture of the reprimand...

Attachments

• jose getting reprimanded 4.jpg
    jose getting reprimanded 4.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 173
I think my favorite part of this smackdown was JB trying to turn it all back onto the SA.
"If THIS is an issue so concerned by the state, ah, as to make sure that they know everything that this witness may or may not testify to, they should, they should exercise, what they have, what tools are given to them, and and take the depositions and do the work."

HHJBP: "Lightening does not strike twice in the same place."

It troubles me that B Perry paints the State with the same broad brush that he smears over Baez. I feel very sorry for the State's Attorneys. Not only are they organized, methodical, timely and following the rules, but as well as trying to listen to the defense witnesses testimony, they also have to be constantly alert to Baez breaking the law /rules. It has to be exhausting. And I can see why JA's blood starts to boil. He is following Baez' line of questioning, knows it is leading to no good, and half the time, in spite his objections, Baez gets in his comments, snarks and insinuations.

HOLY MOLY!!! I just watched part 2 of today's trial...Judge Perry wiped that snarky grin off the face of Baez big time... Baez was madder than a wet hen too. Holy moly.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back