Judge Perry says defense 'opened a can of worms'

From what I gathered after reading the article, is that not even CM had any idea just how low Jose could go! CM's comment regarding Jose's Opening Statement screams dissension amongst the ranks, and surely they all know now what an even more uphill battle Jose created!

Jose going rogue. It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't take the advice of the Death Penalty qualified team members. He had the hubris to take this case on in the first place

Sometimes one cannot stifle an involuntary reflex of laughing. During JBs opening statement, Jeff was leaning back with the grin just out of amazement. Heck, we all were. HHJP even cracks a smile of laughter when JB just cannot keep his lips together.

JB really is the worst offender of facial expressions. And he gets away with it most of the time, if not all the time. And his are purposely for others to view.

Jeffs facial expressions are out of passion for what he does, and frustration by the DT. Remember he prosecutes these types of cases day in and day out.

I read at the link, and I wonder what the Judge meant when he repeatedly said, " I will fall on the sword then"? I mean, I know what fall on the sword means, but in what context did the judge mean this?

Wow that's great because that hugging and consoling should not have been allowed. I can bet there were many people commenting on it.

I thought sidebars were private??? I guess not and the media can get the transcripts?

I know this won't be addressed since it doesn't affect the jury, but I still wish someone would address the inmate's split personality between when the jury is present and when they're not. I'm so tired of how giddy, giggly, flirty, happy, happy she is when out of the presence of the jury and then the moment they come in she switches to her sad, poor me, fake mournful pouty face.

Wow that's great because that hugging and consoling should not have been allowed. I can bet there were many people commenting on it.

I thought sidebars were private??? I guess not and the media can get the transcripts?

Yep, we just learned recently the sidebars are part of the trial that can be released to the public.

This is great.. Thank you. I also was a little mixed up as to why Atty Simms was allowed to sit there and pat Casey on the back in a "there, there" fashion.
As far as a can of worms, I would have to say Baez has opened up several and this phrase will need to be used from now until the defense rests!

This must be why we haven't seen much of Ms. Simms this week. I also think this is why CM has gone out of his way to pat and touch KC. Simms is no longer sitting beside her making her out to be sympathetic, so it falls upon him to keep up the facade in front of the jury.

Do they make defense attorneys take acting classes in law school?

My take on this is that they do this to try and show the jury that they trust her and she can be trusted, but just wait, The jury has never seen her when she gets mad at the DF. You can pet her, rub her, and all that but she is like a wild animal u can't get to close, she will trun on you and kill.

I read at the link, and I wonder what the Judge meant when he repeatedly said, " I will fall on the sword then"? I mean, I know what fall on the sword means, but in what context did the judge mean this?

JP had led the jury to believe that there would be a defense because that is what the DT had told him. When CM wanted him to tell the jury that they didn't have to make a defense, I took it to mean that JP wouldn't flipflop and look unprofessional to the jury by telling them this unless the DT was not planning on giving a defense. JP didn't want to just float "they might or might not and don't have to" out there to the jury. moo

:worms: I love when we get to see these sidebar transcripts! Let's discuss! :great:

Transcript shows why Casey Anthony judge allowed bone chewing details
Judge Perry says defense 'opened a can of worms'

Perry said, "Before Mr. Baez made his statement, I told you I would…sustain the objection," Perry said. "But when you talk about somebody moved and kept bones for the purpose of getting a reward, I mean … it's a whole line of questioning that you've just opened a can of worms up on."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...-trial-sidebar-transc20110615,0,7660569.story

It certainly is a can of worms. The claim that RK moved Caylee's remains to collect a larger reward defies logic. LP offered a time contingent reward of 50k for information leading to Caylee at the beginning of Sept. 2008. The 225k reward that was offered was only for the safe return of Caylee.

What I don't get is why these people don't realize that whether the jury sees what's going on, the judge is seeing lots of stuff. And you can bet his staff are filling him in on some of the unusual stuff. They do court all the time and they know what's normal and what's not. I'm not saying HHJP gossips with the staff but I do believe comments are made behind the scenes and he is made aware of a lot of things.

My Dad is chief bailiff in our small town and he does criminal and family court. The judges rotate but he knows them all and they ask him all kinds of questions.

The judge has the final say. I don't understand why ICA isn't more respectful of this fact.

This is great I was wondering if they addressed this. I am happy to see they did and SIMS was told not to hug KC. I love these sidebars they really speak frankly and openly.

I was wondering how long the judge would allow this love fest to go on. I have never seen a defendant so coddled. :maddening:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back