'Jugging' - Among the Fastest Growing Crimes in America

YaYa_521

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
SBBM

Jugging happens mostly at banks, where suspects follow customers back to their homes before robbing them. [snip] Police there say they're mainly seeing women, the elderly and those who are petite or small in stature being targeted. [snip]

The following are tips to avoid becoming a victim:

(# More at link)

Thanks for posting this very useful information! pretty sad though--

Oct 20

SBM
Davonte Ward, 28, was charged with engaging in organized criminal activity-a first-degree felony. [snip] ...a man withdrew "several thousand dollars cash" from a bank...[snip] After leaving the bank, the man went to his apartment [snip], and as he walked into his apartment building, a man approached him before shoving him against the wall. The suspect demanded the money he withdrew from the bank, per court documents. Court records said the victim fought with the suspect for the cash envelope but feared he would be hurt or killed if he continued to fight to protect his property. The victim said he then released the envelope, and the suspect ran away. [snip] ...officers were able to use covert electronic surveillance to locate the vehicle at a hotel in San Antonio.

#More at link

SBBM
"I pulled up to go to the bank. I went inside. I stood in line. I was only in line with a couple people and I got to the bank teller. I told her I wanted to make a withdrawal, and I basically turned around and left," she said. After withdrawing a large sum of cash, she made the five-minute drive home and parked in her driveway. That's when the theft happened. [snip] So what can you to make sure you aren't a victim of "jugging"?
  • "Being aware of your surroundings, ...
  • Goucher says if you are being followed, do not go home. Drive past your house and drive around the neighborhood. Call 911.
  • He said, by all means, don't put up a fight,

Thanks for this. I tend to notice passersby on the sidewalk and tend to put them in three categories: tougher than me (exercise more caution), my size and strength, not a problem as I could overpower them if needed (these include the elderly and frail who are far less likely to attack me).

If I am going out I do a google map search and plan my route and leave the computer open. This way there is a map of my route available. There is no need to put in my password every five minutes either so if I went missing investigators could get an idea of where I would be if I was not taken to a new location. When leaving my building I take my phone with me and have the location on.

I also try to wear coats with detachable hoods and only keep the hood attached on the coldest weather. This way grabbing me by the hood is reduced to the coldest days. A hat provides far more peripheral vision than a hood.

I think everyone should do a self defense class or course
I finally did one and I learnt so much and feel much more confident
It's also essential to regularly practice and review what you learn I think

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member