Kaine tells us about Terri and PPD - what role does it play in this case, if any?

This is seriously messed up. IDK what else to say.

http://blogs.wweek.com/news/2010/07/08/kaine-horman-kyrons-stepmom-suffered-post-partum-depression/

“As far as I’m concerned, probably up until a month or two before Kyron was gone — and then she could have been hiding it at that point,” Kaine Horman said.

He said the illness manifested in rapid mood swings.
“It wasn’t anything that was overly violent in nature,” Horman said. “It was just really erratic types of swings, from being very emotional to suddenly being very frustrated.”

Horman said he’s not sure what type of medication his wife was on or when she stopped taking it.

How does one hide "erratic mood swings"? As a female who has experienced the wonderful effects of PMS over the years and now the joys of peri-menopause, I will be the first to testify (and my family members will agree lol) that mood swings are not something that can simply be hidden. We're sometimes at the mercy of our endocrine systems, even when we're completely healthy.

And I agree with others who have said if he was "supposed to watch her closely for a six-month period" why didn't he know what medication she was prescribed? IMO, part of watching someone closely who is ill is making sure they take their medication so that they get well.

This stinks. I need to open a few windows to let some air in.

FYI - I, myself, went through this & my husband was semi-clueless. It's so very common, more so than any of us would care to guess. After my 8 y/o was born, I was crying every single day. My dr put me on Celexa. I took Celexa for almost 9 months, around 6 months is when it was advised I could start tapering off...my dosage was lowered. Instead of taking it twice a day, I could only take it once a day. Then, around the last month, it was lowered from I think somewhere around 5 mg to 2 or 3 mg, which I took once a day. I don't even remember the mg & I'm the one that was taking it, lol. I'm informing all this bc shortly after I went off this anti-depressant, my sister in law had a miscarriage, a baby that was completely alive up until her 9th month of gestation & her baby died during childbirth. She was extremely depressed. My husband told her, plus my mil, fil, & bro in law that I took Xanax. I've never in my life taken Xanax! He, in his mind, assosciated Xanax with being depressed so assumed that was the med I took. I was on Celexa, which is one of the most mild Rx.

Being that Kaine appears so precise, so in control, may not be bc he's a control freak...it may be bc he's intelligent, analytical, anal about things being a certain way due to the margin of error that can be nonexistent in his level of his career. Maybe he said he didn't know what kind of meds she was prescribed bc he didn;t wanna throw something out there that could end up not being the actual one she was on - hence, he didn't wanna make a mistake by throwing out erroneous info to the public...that woudl be misleading. My husband, on the other hand, would have thrown out Xanax & the public would be devouring all that info...even though that wouldn't have been the correct Rx. Kaine seems like he wants his son found & supplying erroneous info only throws off that search.

Just my opinion, only giving a different way of looking at it.

:blowkiss:

In this video, KH and DY say that TH changed after Kyron went missing. What would be the reason for lying? What do you think?

http://videos.oregonlive.com/oregonian/2010/07/kyron_hormans_parents_share_de.html

As I stated elsewhere, the change could be attributed with having information of someone's dastardly deed and the overwhelming need to protect that someone. Lying isn't necessarily indicative of guilt; it could be attributed also to guilty knowledge. Right or wrong, sometimes people choose to protect someone they love when someone else they've loved has come to harm.

As far as theories go, that is.

In this video, KH and DY say that TH changed after Kyron went missing. What would be the reason for lying? What do you think?

http://videos.oregonlive.com/oregonian/2010/07/kyron_hormans_parents_share_de.html

I have no idea ... I truly don't know what to make of any of these people anymore. Seriously.

They don't elaborate. If I were in her shoes, and even if totally and completely innocent regarding his disappearance, I'd certainly change. I'd feel guilty, paranoid, second-guess myself, wondering 'if only'.

Poor little Kyron. I just pray in the midst of all this drama someone is still out there searching for him.

Maybe instead of Kaine saying it is none of our da#n business what meds she was taking, he tried to be more polite and say he didn't know what they were.

Something tells me that had he told us what she was taking he would have been criticized for that.

I really don't mind if KH is giving TH what she needs for a defense.

If it makes her feel safer to open up about what happened to Kyron, I am all for it. The focus right now should be on finding Kyron.

There is all the time in the world to start assigning blame after he is home and safe....

I agree.

Maybe instead of Kaine saying it is none of our da#n business what meds she was taking, he tried to be more polite and say he didn't know what they were.

Something tells me that had he told us what she was taking he would have been criticized for that.

Except he hasn't to this point had a problem saying 'no comment' (or variations thereof).

I'm just so frustrated with every one of 'em.

I just get the feeling they are throwing everything out on the table so Terri's counsel can pick a strategy. They are willing to give her a PPD excuse if she'll only come forward with Kyron. If not, we've got motive and intent on the table for both crimes, and in the case of the death of Kyron - it could be a death penalty qualified case against Terri.

That's my take on all these revelations. Add to that my feeling that there's more family secrets to be coming out soon.

Strategy of the week: Lay out the options for Terri, and pressure, pressure, pressure.

JMHO

Except he hasn't to this point had a problem saying 'no comment' (or variations thereof).

I'm just so frustrated with every one of 'em.

I am thinking if things were so bad, why on earth didn't he talk to DY about her taking Kyron. I heard in one interview that she was now finding things out. I wonder if these are some of the things. What a mess.

Well, if it's true that DY was accusing and/or suspicious of TH from the beginning, then it would make sense that Terri changed. Guilty or innocent, if she's being accused by those in her inner circle, either directly or indirectly of abducting and/or harming the boy she helped successfully raise from infancy, I'd say she'd have some sort of reaction.

It's also possible, if she had PPD, that Kyron's disappearance could trigger it, IMHO.

I'm interested in the part of the interview where DY says that TH has been lying for the last 7 years that she's known her.

What makes her say something so broad? Did she gradually realize this about Terri, or is it a "hindsight" revelation because things are becoming more clear in her mind about Terri's behavior.

And, if this is the case, PPD would not be the cause of odd/deceiving behavior for all that time.

I find it interesting that the topic of PPD whihc has come up on the threads here from day one has taken a month to be speculated about by reporters, family members, including the husband who lived with her. I feel it may be Kaine's way of giving Terri an out.

I am on the fence about what happened to Kyron and who is responsible but it is patently clear at this point in the investigation that LE, Kaine an Desiree all feel pretty strongly that she may be involved. Given that is their belief, perhaps this is a bone being thrown Terri. The old, if you are sick maybe that is a mitigating factor.

Also I found it interesting that in recent pressers (post RO/divorce filing) that Kaine seems to be playing good cop - still humanizing Terri, talkiing about their marriage, possible PPD, while Desiree appears to be taking the role more of "bad cop" making statements that she immediately suspected Terri, had a feeling, and repeatedly urging Terri to cooperate.

As stated in another presser "everything" Kaine and Desiree are doing is calulated toward resolving finally where is Kyron.

I have no idea ... I truly don't know what to make of any of these people anymore. Seriously.

They don't elaborate. If I were in her shoes, and even if totally and completely innocent regarding his disappearance, I'd certainly change. I'd feel guilty, paranoid, second-guess myself, wondering 'if only'.

Poor little Kyron. I just pray in the midst of all this drama someone is still out there searching for him.

I'm sure they ALL changed after Kyron went missing, not just TH. If they didn't, I would think there was something wrong with them ALL.

My opinion only

I can tell you from personal experience that PPD/PPP can be hidden. I was severely PPD after having my first daughter. I put on a happy face and looked like a doting new mother on the outside. But on the inside, I was completely suicidal and homicidal. I was eventually diagnosed with severe PTSD and PPD bordering on PPP after I tried to hurt my baby. Fortunately, I had a brief moment of clarity and called my husband to tell him he needed to come home from work, that something really bad had happened. He took me to get help. Part of my treatment plan was that I was not allowed to be left alone with the baby for 6 months or until my care providers signed off on it. Over the next 6 months, I gradually got better and became fairly functional for the most part. But diagnostically, I still had PPD for about 18 months.

My guess is that TH has/had PPD/PPP and started this whole plan when she was in the worst of her PPD/PPP. The PPD/PPP may have gotten better to the point where she was functional and those around her thought she was doing well, but she had already gottent he ball rolling on this grand plan. Or perhaps the people she has assiciated herself with weren't letting her off the hook. Perhaps she had made a deal with a hitman, and when they started threatening her to come up with the money, she gave them Kyron or sold him to pay the hitman.

Thanks for sharing, it's good to read firsthand experience. What a rough thing to go through.

I am thinking if things were so bad, why on earth didn't he talk to DY about her taking Kyron. I heard in one interview that she was now finding things out. I wonder if these are some of the things. What a mess.

That's another thing... why not allow Kyron to live with his mom?

Also brings up the question....if she [I said:
was[/I] still on meds, or re-instated on meds after kyron went missing, did that affect her poly?

They would have asked her that as they started the polygraph. They interview you fairly thoroughly about your mental state, any medications being taken, etc.

I just posted this in the thread about K being with TH that morning - posters are speculating whether TH would harm Kyron with the baby there - thought I'd bring it here:

This reminds me of a case a few/several years ago. Can't remember where. A young mother took her 3 & 6 y/o boys for a car ride. Stopped in a field and left with the 6 y/o - he never came back. Mom tried to say he ran away or was kidnapped and it was the 3 y/o who told LE "I woke up and saw mommy carrying him away and mommy came back without him".

It's sad, but it happens.

After being analyzed, Phd's decided she had suffered from severe PPD/PPP with the 2nd one, rendering her with no attachment to him. She felt attachment with the older one, giving her the ability to "save him" from a horrible life. The PPD kept her from feeling the need to do so with the baby. Lucky for the baby, I guess -- so very, very sad.

Wow, so much to comment on. I believe Kaine--the diagnosis is easily confirmed by her doctor & why would he make it up. I don't think he was being contradictory when he stated that it lasted over a year and she was okay after 6 months. My guess is that she wasn't diagnosed until 6 months after --and then he was told to watch her for six months and then she seemed okay. This diagnosis would explain everything, although it doesn't bode well for Kyron. My guess is they have the OK from LE to get this out there so Terri's lawyer will know there is mitigation. I don't think Kaine has Asperger's--he looks people in the face when talking with them and that's one thing Asperger sufferers cannot do.

This may have been discussed but maybe Kaine is sending a message to Terri, kind of like I understand that you had problems and it wasn't your fault? Maybe to let her guard down and be able to admit what happened?

Maybe, huh? I'm sure he and Kyron's Mother would love to know where their son is if in fact she has knowledge.

Wow, so much to comment on. I believe Kaine--the diagnosis is easily confirmed by her doctor & why would he make it up. I don't think he was being contradictory when he stated that it lasted over a year and she was okay after 6 months. My guess is that she wasn't diagnosed until 6 months after --and then he was told to watch her for six months and then she seemed okay. This diagnosis would explain everything, although it doesn't bode well for Kyron. My guess is they have the OK from LE to get this out there so Terri's lawyer will know there is mitigation. I don't think Kaine has Asperger's--he looks people in the face when talking with them and that's one thing Asperger sufferers cannot do.

bolding mine>

I don't think he does either. The work he does can do that to ya (LOL) and the man had lost his only son.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back