Still Missing Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - *Arrest* #66

Discussion in 'Trials' started by KayElJay, Nov 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scdiv

scdiv Well-Known Member

Right. And if the prosecution's evidence is strong, the defense might want to show anything they have that would dispute that. But, they chose not to challenge Slater in any way on cross examination.

TRB, chrysalis, Mo Thuairim and 19 others like this.

2. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

I doubt it either. Instead, they would ask him if it’s worth it to challenge authentication with experts, forensics. They would explain the consequences if he was the author. And as a result a decision was made not to challenge authenticity.

So he didn’t likely straight out tell his attorneys but he made it clear he was the author.

There is no other feasible reason why the defense team wouldn’t make the objections I listed earlier urging testimony, nor request more time to challenge authenticity.

PF was asked if he wanted more time and he told the judge “no”.

TRB, chrysalis, QueenBofOB and 42 others like this.
  3. MemPat

MemPat The EARTH without ART is just EH.

I think we can be sure of this: that the closing arguments of the defense will be different from what they would have been two weeks ago now that all the evidence has been presented, including the Paper Towel Tales.

No one would still be trying to defend long-discounted theories of the case once they were outed by facts.

CalmSeas, chrysalis, MrsM and 21 others like this.
  4. MyBelle

MyBelle Well-Known Member

And you think PF, sitting in jail, has memorized the addresses of people like Michelle Stein? I certainly don't believe that at all.

JMO

SandyQLS likes this.
  5. Aydrianna523

Aydrianna523 Well-Known Member

Thank you!

Flicka1, steeltowngirl and Gigi3 like this.
  6. Aydrianna523

Interesting....

Flicka1, Oregon, Gigi3 and 1 other person like this.
  7. enelram

enelram Well-Known Member

So if DA is only planning on 30 min. for closing
    arguments, how long will the defense take?
    5 minutes?

Flicka1, angelainwi, susiQ and 10 others like this.
  8. MassGuy

MassGuy The Monsters Ain’t The Ones Beneath The Bed

The DA’s opening statement took up much of the allotted time. The defense’s took up mere minutes.

The Prosecution’s case spanned several days, and dozens of witnesses.

The defense immediately rested, calling no one.

So yes, if the pattern holds true, the defense won’t say much. It’s not like there’s much to say anyways.

CalmSeas, MrsM, Alcina and 24 others like this.
  9. MemPat

Patrick alone could make up an episode of "See No Evil" with his man-about-town videos. The one in the jail would be the Gotcha' one shown after the last commercial!

His episode of "Forensics Files" would have to check the paper towels against the ones at the jail to see in what factory and at what time they were manufactured.

But PF's actually more suited to that old show about stupid criminals whose name I can't remember.

10. enelram

enelram Well-Known Member

Depends on the jurisdiction, different rules in
    different areas.
    Probably her next of kin would need to petition the court to issue a death certificate.

iambarb2, Flicka1, Tillicum and 8 others like this.
  11. afitzy

afitzy Member

Not sure what PF memory and knowledge of his personal contact list while in jail has to do with the 17 letters exactly but it was clear looking through the letters that PF did not have perfect information on all of the people on the 'hit list'.

The letters so far as I can tell don't have GPS pin point accuracy on how to find each of the named individuals on the PF 'Hit List'. PF instead named names, gave physical descriptions, said who was hanging out with whom and where and other details on how to find the folks on the "Hit List". In short, the information PF gave in the notes was probably good enough for a reasonably intelligent 'hitman' to find all the people on the list IMO.

PF had enough information on Michelle Stein for example to share where she lived in terms of town and how she could be found.

Unless his 'hitman' was totally inept (totally possible IMO here with PF) then it would most likely be not too hard to track down Michelle Stein and KK or any other of the players on the PF "Hit List" IMO.

And, as the 'hitman' wasn't doing charity work for PF, PF seems somewhat clear that the 'hitman' was to contact SF for possible payment or further details although this was left a bit more vague IMO.

I do hope LE will investigate this aspect of the letters as the idea of people outside the jail sanctioning and paying for action on a 12 person 'hit list' prepared by PF is concerning given the fate met by KB in this tragic case.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    iambarb2, chrysalis, MrsM and 24 others like this.
  12. MemPat

In other circumstances LE might think the murderer's mother had suffered enough but I think Ma F is a whole different animal.

They can't have forgotten the torment of Kelsey's mom as she tried to see BabyK but was denied that by Ma F and Patrick.

Add the fact that the Berreth's had to go through the agony of going to Family Court and I believe LE will chase Ma F with a vengeance.

They may give themselves until the new year to go after her but, Ma F, that storm's blowin' in and the shelter is shut.

13. MemPat

Yes to all of the above.
    I don't think DA May knows how to do this any way but brilliant.

14. afitzy

afitzy Member

Actually your avatar probably sums up the available options for the defense closing statement at this point IMO.

Wonder though if they will lead off with "No Body, No Crime" and then close with "Well, Exactly"?

Very slim pickings but I'm open to hearing some ideas!

iambarb2, nanadee, MrsM and 13 others like this.
  15. MemPat

Call me crazy but I think any defense team would be beating the bushes for proof of innocence here whether they had a burden to do so or not.

An innocent man would have been screaming from his chair, "I didn't write those letters! Get me a handwriting expert!" Paramedics would have to carry him out in a strait jacket.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Sanz, afitzy, nanadee and 28 others like this.
  16. Gigi3

Gigi3 Well-Known Member

And let’s not forget the possibility of someone on the outside gathering intel of these people on the list. No doubt PF could’ve had help. MOO

ETA: of course he would have to rely on someone else to provide details for these people- his brain definitely couldn’t hold all that info! MOO

MerBeach, Flicka1, susiQ and 7 others like this.
  17. Mormon Attorney

Mormon Attorney Verified Attorney

If I were the defense, I would truly be having a terrible time even thinking about how to frame all of this..... His paper towels have added a complexity that I would not wish on any attorney at the last hour. An attorney's worst nightmare....your client's own statements destroying the case during the 4th quarter.

Sanz, TRB, iambarb2 and 45 others like this.
  18. Aydrianna523

:)

Flicka1, susiQ, steeltowngirl and 3 others like this.
  19. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

Because it’s very clear to me PF admitted to his attorney IMO that he authored those paper towels

CalmSeas, MrsM, Flicka1 and 18 others like this.
  20. MassGuy

MassGuy The Monsters Ain’t The Ones Beneath The Bed

“Ignore everything the prosecution has presented, and vote with your heart, not your head. This won’t be popular with the public, but I ask that you do what is best for my client. He’s got animals to abuse, and those cattle aren’t going to beat themselves. Please do what any good gangster would do, and set my client free. I have one question for you: How gangster will you be?”

CalmSeas, TRB, nanadee and 34 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.