"Killing Field" in League City, Texas- Calder Rd Cold Cases

(CBS News) Kevin Edison Smith, who has been charged with the 1996 murder of 13-year-old Krystal Baker, may have had involvement with other unsolved cases.

Over the past 13 years there are records of Smith living and working in 17 different cities in four different states. Do you have a lead on his connection to a crime in these areas? Contact the office of Chambers County, Texas, District Attorney Cheryl Lieck at 409-267-2682.

Friendswood, Texas

Houston, Texas
Webster, Texas

Houston, Texas
Webster, Texas
Arlington, Texas
Bastrop, La.

Venus, Texas
Texas City, Texas

Hood County, Texas

Freeport, Texas
Phoenix, Ariz.

Texas City, Texas

Bedford, Texas
Durham, N.C.
Texas City, Texas

Arlington, Texas
Phoenix, Ariz.
Fort Worth, Texas

Mansfield, Texas
Hitchcock, Texas

Durham, N.C.
Fort Worth, Texas
Houston, Texas
Opelousas, La.

La Marque, Texas
Fort Worth, Texas

Houston, Texas
Opelousas, La.
Texas City, Texas
Fort Worth, Texas
La Marque, Texas

http://www.wdtv.com/index.php/home/local-news/9695-the-killing-fields-kevin-edison-smith-timeline

I do not believe that a truck driver killed those women they found at 3000 Calder Rd. or many others that we have listed in this forum.
I didn't state all of the women being looked into on this forum. I'm only, at this time, interested in the killing field and the I-45 corridor murders, as well as any discovered along roads used by truck drivers leading out of that area to other towns. I'm not even saying all of those murders were possible truck drivers, but I strongly feel some are or were - especially given the span of time in between.

An 18 Wheeler would be pretty noticeable in that area, especially late at night.

I-45 is a heavily traveled Interstate due to the Port of Galveston. I-45 has been worked on, off and on, many times at different sections, for years and Calder Rd. was used as a shortcut to Main and Hwy 3 - the latter of which runs along I-45 all the way past Pasadena. This alternative route was often used during construction and to avoid heavy traffic.

As for the other I-45 Corridor murders, many right off of FTM or CR's with heavy truck traffic.

And the abductions that happened in neighborhoods (Smithers, et al) wouldn't have been feasible in an 18 Wheeler, either.

Back when the Calder Rd. killings were being investigated, LE suspected a truck driver as well - especially because of the easy off and on access.

Truck drivers are very common to the Calder Rd./I45 area - as well as the other areas of the I-45 corridor due to the port in Galveston

Originally Posted by ikoihil View Post
I do not believe that a truck driver killed those women they found at 3000 Calder Rd. or many others that we have listed in this forum.
I didn't state all of the women being looked into on this forum. I'm only, at this time, interested in the killing field and the I-45 corridor murders, as well as any discovered along roads used by truck drivers leading out of that area to other towns. I'm not even saying all of those murders were possible truck drivers, but I strongly feel some are or were - especially given the span of time in between.

An 18 Wheeler would be pretty noticeable in that area, especially late at night.
I-45 is a heavily traveled Interstate due to the Port of Galveston. I-45 has been worked on, off and on, many times at different sections, for years and Calder Rd. was used as a shortcut to Main and Hwy 3 - the latter of which runs along I-45 all the way past Pasadena. This alternative route was often used during construction and to avoid heavy traffic.

As for the other I-45 Corridor murders, many right off of FTM or CR's with heavy truck traffic.

And the abductions that happened in neighborhoods (Smithers, et al) wouldn't have been feasible in an 18 Wheeler, either.
Back when the Calder Rd. killings were being investigated, LE suspected a truck driver as well - especially because of the easy off and on access.

Truck drivers are very common to the Calder Rd./I45 area - as well as the other areas of the I-45 corridor due to the port in Galveston

First, I am addressing the killing fields murders, and those in the I-45 Corridor - so we're on the same page about that.

However, I am curious about how you figure Calder Rd was used as a shortcut to Highway 3? ...Especially since Hwy 3 is on the other side of the highway..?? Additionally, Calder Rd is not a through road used by commercial vehicles. Locals use FM 518 and FM 528 to cut through and avoid traffic.
picture.php

And I don't doubt LE stated that they thought a truck driver was involved - or that they just said that in order to calm the nerves of locals who would otherwise panic about a SK living among them. However, we all can see how successful their thorough investigation turned out, you know.. with the mystery solved now, right?

I know that there is industry-related traffic through this area. Port traffic goes directly from I-45 and exits the first exit as soon as you hit the island - right by Clary's restaurant! They have to take Teichman because of their weight and dangerous cargo. However, roads that are primarily residential have been designated as "No Thru Trucks" areas, which basically means, if you drive a truck down there, you're going to get stopped by police and cited, or you'll end up at a dead end where you can't turn an 18 Wheeler back around to get out (because of the 2 lane, narrow roads, deep culverts and lack of appropriate lighting). Based on those two pretty important facts, I don't know why a murderer would purposely corner himself and risk being caught.

The victims from Galveston weren't abducted from Teichman Road, which is the commercial transit road for the Port of Galveston, in case you didn't know. You can't just troll for kids on the East End of Galveston in an 18 Wheeler (where most of the Galveston abductions happened). If you're driving a semi in Galveston, the driver must stay on roads that can handle those loads - Teichman/Industrial, Broadway (very rarely used by semi trucks), or you have to take 61st street. None of the abductions from the island were on those roads (except for Shelly Sikes, who was on the Seawall at 34th Street, and Suzanne Rene Richerson, also on the Seawall at 61st).

I support my opinion that this was not a truck driver, and urge you to re-examine your theories about this important detail.

First, I am addressing the killing fields murders, and those in the I-45 Corridor - so we're on the same page about that.
The ones I am referring to do not involve far North Houston - not at this point anyway.

However, I am curious about how you figure Calder Rd was used as a shortcut to Highway 3? ...Especially since Hwy 3 is on the other side of the highway..??
I was born and raised in Houston, I had an Aunt and Uncle who lived
in the Cardinal Apartments off 518 in League City - I think the name now is Shady Oaks. I traveled that area for years. My father and grandparents are buried in Forest Park Cemetery, just a couple exits North of Calder. I don't have to use google earth or google maps to figure out the roads. Calder runs from one side of I-45 to the other and intersects with Main/518, which intersects with Hwy 3. My cousins used to swim in a place called the blue hole in that area, but I can't give the exact address. My Aunt and Uncle used to "park" near the same fields where the body of Laura Miller and the others were found off Calder and Ervin - at that time there were no buildings or fences....just a cattle guard into the fields.

Additionally, Calder Rd is not a through road used by commercial vehicles.
An 18 wheel truck, with a skilled driver, could easily have gone down Calder and turned around on one of the many roads running throughout the fields. All that was in the area back then was the trailer park, so no one would really notice or care if a truck went down the road.

Locals use FM 518 and FM 528 to cut through and avoid traffic.
To avoid I-45 traffic? If so, then they are likely cutting through to get onto Hwy 3.

And I don't doubt LE stated that they thought a truck driver was involved - or that they just said that in order to calm the nerves of locals who would otherwise panic about a SK living among them.

I'm not sure how this would alleviate panic - trucker or not, still alarming. This theory was and is not unique to the I-45 Corridor/Calder Rd. murders.

However, we all can see how successful their thorough investigation turned out, you know.. with the mystery solved now, right?

Tim Miller has been investigating this for 25 years, with way more time than a cold case detective and a lot of great resources - he hasn't solved it either, so I guess at this point any theory is open for debate.

I know that there is industry-related traffic through this area. Port traffic goes directly from I-45 and exits the first exit as soon as you hit the island - right by Clary's restaurant! They have to take Teichman because of their weight and dangerous cargo. However, roads that are primarily residential have been designated as "No Thru Trucks" areas, which basically means, if you drive a truck down there, you're going to get stopped by police and cited, or you'll end up at a dead end where you can't turn an 18 Wheeler back around to get out (because of the 2 lane, narrow roads, deep culverts and lack of appropriate lighting). Based on those two pretty important facts, I don't know why a murderer would purposely corner himself and risk being caught.
BEM: Absolutely no clue which part of my post you are addressing here - I simply said there's a lot of truck traffic on I-45 and the FTM and CR's due to the Port of Galveston after you stated there was no truck traffic in that area (Calder Rd).

The victims from Galveston weren't abducted from Teichman Road, which is the commercial transit road for the Port of Galveston, in case you didn't know.
1. I don't claim to know everthing there is to know about the I-45 corridor murders, or the killing field for that matter.
2. I am not sure which part of my post, or anything I've posted, has to do with Teichman Rd.

You can't just troll for kids on the East End of Galveston in an 18 Wheeler (where most of the Galveston abductions happened). If you're driving a semi in Galveston, the driver must stay on roads that can handle those loads - Teichman/Industrial, Broadway (very rarely used by semi trucks), or you have to take 61st street. None of the abductions from the island were on those roads (except for Shelly Sikes, who was on the Seawall at 34th Street, and Suzanne Rene Richerson, also on the Seawall at 61st).

Truck drivers don't have to "troll" for kids or teens and grown women - there are truck stops all over where young women hitch-hikers are dropped off and prostitutes of all ages go and solicit business AT the truck. There are young women whose cars break down and friendly truck drivers are always willing to help - and they are usually trusted. Nevertheless, I don't recall mentioning every case was a truck driver or that they picked young women up in Galveston ... but, bodies are strewn all along roads that would be used by truck drivers either coming into or leaving the Port of Galveston from all over the US - these are the cases I've long been interested in.

Two men were convicted of killing and burying Shelley Sikes alive. Her body was never found. Shelley was run off the road in her car on the shoulder of I-45 north of the causeway - she wasn't abducted in Galveston. She worked at Gauidos, which used to be one of the best restaurants in Galveston.

I support my opinion that this was not a truck driver, and urge you to re-examine your theories about this important detail.

Your opinion is respected, I'd like the same consideration.

How can you kill and then bury someone alive?

King testified that Gerald Zwarst hit Sikes with a shovel then buried her alive. LE asked how he knew she was alive and King stated that she was still moving. King also said they were drinking and smoking Pot laced with PCP.

There is a thread in this forum on King and Zwarst with more information on her abduction and murder as well as trial documents.

King was "coa" imo. Much of what he said is suspect. He was unable to lead LE to Sikes' body. His story either changed in court documents from what he originally told LE or he lied in court. In court he stated that Zwarst hit her with a shovel and killed her. He also claimed Zwarst did the raping and torture as well as murdering her. According to him he only helped with the abduction and was just along for the ride. sts.

Its hard to know what the whole truth is. I think the only thing we really know is that Zwarst and King abducted, raped, tortured, and murdered King.

Thanks. Can you post that thread here.
What does COA mean?

Cover own aspirin. Mods would snip me if I used the right word.

Link to Texas Killing Fields and Mysteries Along I-45

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467

Link to John Robert King and Gerald Pieter Zwarst
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155438

You are in the forum now too. If you click at the top of the page on Texas Killing Fields and Mysteries Along I-45 it will show you a list of all the threads.

Welcome to the forum!

How can you kill and then bury someone alive?

Obviously the sequence of words in that sentence were skewed - otherwise it doesn't make sense. I think the reason burying her alive was part of the charges or evidence was to show intent - which could mean the death penalty in Texas.

Obviously the sequence of words in that sentence were skewed - otherwise it doesn't make sense. I think the reason burying her alive was part of the charges or evidence was to show intent - which could mean the death penalty in Texas.

King testified to two different scenarios.

King testified that Gerald Zwarst hit Sikes with a shovel then buried her alive.

In court he stated that Zwarst hit her with a shovel and killed her.

Actually, I was wrong, they were never convicted of murdering her - they got life for aggravated kidnapping.

I wonder if it was life without parole or if they got paroled. Such a shame that her body has never been located. So sad for her family.

I wonder if it was life without parole or if they got paroled. Such a shame that her body has never been located. So sad for her family.

I know Zwarst was up for parole but lost the first go 'round - 2007, I think.

No, in 1988 John Robert King was listed as 30 years old from Badcliff and Gerald Pieter Zwarst was listed as 33 years old from El Lago. This is on a site that requires you to pay to join and I'm not a member but they have snippets from articles.

http://www.worldvitalrecords.com/SingleIndexListView.aspx?ix=newspaperarchives&hpp=10&qt=l&zln=Zwarst

Another articles says Seabrook. Bacliff and Seabrook are only 5 minutes apart on 146 and El Lago is just off Nasa not far from 146. Where they found her car was just over the Galveston Causeway going South. She was probably about to take a right on 146 to Texas City, which is a few miles East of Seabrook. It's so dark and swampy in that area because of the coast and all the tentacles running throughout these little cities. The Causeway is a 2 mile bridge - 3 lanes each side, that runs north and south, to and from Galveston. I have to wonder if they didn't follow her on the bridge from Gaidos. Where they were trying to run her off the road had to be the lonely stretch of I-45 feeder road that leads to 146 to San Leon, Texas City, Seabrook, Baclif - all these towns are really close together.

Nevertheless, King drew a map of where her body was buried - in San Leon, but it was never recovered. San Leon is right on the ocean. If they threw her body into the ocean it will likely never show up anywhere.

If I did this correctly, there's an attachment showing where they probably run her off the road.

Attachments

• 146.png
    146.png
    378.3 KB · Views: 39
Another articles says Seabrook. Bacliff and Seabrook are only 5 minutes apart on 146 and El Lago is just off Nasa not far from 146. Where they found her car was just over the Galveston Causeway going South. She was probably about to take a right on 146 to Texas City, which is a few miles East of Seabrook. It's so dark and swampy in that area because of the coast and all the tentacles running throughout these little cities. The Causeway is a 2 mile bridge - 3 lanes each side, that runs north and south, to and from Galveston. I have to wonder if they didn't follow her on the bridge from Gaidos. Where they were trying to run her off the road had to be the lonely stretch of I-45 feeder road that leads to 146 to San Leon, Texas City, Seabrook, Baclif - all these towns are really close together.

Nevertheless, King drew a map of where her body was buried - in San Leon, but it was never recovered. San Leon is right on the ocean. If they threw her body into the ocean it will likely never show up anywhere.

If I did this correctly, there's an attachment showing where they probably run her off the road.

Like most of these cases the truth will never be known. But would they have taken her to the house first then taken her back to the ocean or was it even true that they took her to the house? The only thing I believe is true is that they tortured her and killed her. With both of them doing drugs they might not know for certain.

I hope and pray that before they die one of them will tell where they left her. Her family deserves to recover her body and bury her. She deserves to be buried properly.

I think the state should save themselves some money and when they die feed them to the fish. (Just anger speaking). Their families will know where they are buried and will have that peace of mind but her's won't.

Like most of these cases the truth will never be known. But would they have taken her to the house first then taken her back to the ocean or was it even true that they took her to the house? The only thing I believe is true is that they tortured her and killed her. With both of them doing drugs they might not know for certain.

I hope and pray that before they die one of them will tell where they left her. Her family deserves to recover her body and bury her. She deserves to be buried properly.

I think the state should save themselves some money and when they die feed them to the fish. (Just anger speaking). Their families will know where they are buried and will have that peace of mind but her's won't.
San Leon was on the way to where either of them lived so to take her back to a place to dump her body wouldn't have been that far out of the way. I think it was a place they knew - and it makes me wonder if they were involved in any other of the disappearances in the area.

Have you any idea why King was in El Paso? He was a long way from home there.

I don't get the feeling this is the fist time they had hurt a woman. Did they ever dig up their property?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sapphire13
Back