KS - Andrew Finch, 28, killed by LE in 'swatting' prank, Wichita, 28 Dec 2017

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by perfectingpink, Dec 29, 2017.

1. MsJosie

MsJosie Well-Known Member

2. MsJosie

Sentencing delayed in Wichita 'swatting' case

Sentencing delayed by Judge until March 1. Both defense and government need more time to review objections in presentence investigation report. Jan 30 hearing will not take place

3. MsJosie

4. JaxFlaGal

JaxFlaGal Well-Known Member

I'm catching up on this case again, and found some additional articles from last year and early this year that I didn't see posted yet. Sharing.

Wired Magazine (Technology magazine) - It Started as an Online Gaming Prank. Then It Turned Deadly
    Krebs on Security (Well-known IT Security blogger, former Washington Post reporter, who has also been a personal targetted victim of swatting for his research and exposes of criminal hackers): Calif. Man Pleads Guilty in Fatal Swatting Case, Faces 20+ Years in Prison — Krebs on Security and 3 Charged In Fatal Kansas ‘Swatting’ Attack — Krebs on Security. Here's another related article (1/25/19) of other arrests associated with people who hired Barriss to swat for them: Three Charged for Working With Serial Swatter — Krebs on Security. Interesting comments in those articles also.

MsJosie likes this.
  5. MsJosie

6. MsJosie

7. flute4peace

flute4peace Well-Known Member

8. Jewels53

Jewels53 Forever in my Heart!

“There are no words to express the toll that it’s taken,” Finch’s sister, Dominica Finch, told the Wichita Eagle.

She said her 18-year-old niece, Adelina, shot and killed herself in January, just over a year after witnessing her uncle’s death, the paper reported. Then Adelina's boyfriend, 20-year-old Jeremy “J.C.” Arnold, who discovered her body in the apartment they shared, also died in an apparent suicide, according to the paper.

“The involvement of my niece and how she was treated that night (when Andrew Finch died) has taken her life,” Dominica Finch told the Eagle. “The reaction to that has taken the life of another young man.”

As 'swatting' defendant is sentenced, victim's family tells of further tragedies 'directly related' to case

JaxFlaGal, Kasmeer, Jax49 and 3 others like this.
  9. flute4peace

Oohh my gosh I didn’t know about this. How heartbreaking!!

Jax49 and Blondie in Spokane like this.
  10. Jewels53

Jewels53 Forever in my Heart!

I didn't either and when I saw it I thought I should post it. It is very heartbreaking! You never know how something will affect others. Just like the Stoneman shooting or the Sandy Hook shooting.

This incidence has definitely had a domino effect with people close to the crime. I pray this is the end of death associated with this crime. imo

JaxFlaGal, Jax49 and flute4peace like this.
  11. JaxFlaGal

JaxFlaGal Well-Known Member

LadyL and Jewels53 like this.
  12. flute4peace

Thank you for posting this. I couldn't bring myself to give it a "like", because FIFTEEN MONTHS ARE THEY FREAKING KIDDING??!!!!! Three lives gone, a family shattered, not to mention the LE who were involved and the entire community.

Ugh. I'm very sad and disappointed about this sentence.

JaxFlaGal and Luckyzmom like this.