KS KS - DENNIS LYNN RADER, BTK Serial Killer

Discussion in 'Serial Killers' started by blueclouds, Mar 25, 2004.

1. meade

meade Member

This is fascinating, if true. Is CloudProud still around?

2. gregjrichards

gregjrichards Well-Known Member

He was one of this country's most notorious serial killers, tying up, torturing, and murdering 10 people in the city of Wichita from 1974 until he was arrested in 2004.

And now it has been revealed that Dennis Rader, who dubbed himself the BTK killer for his method of 'bind, torture, kill', had planned an 11th killing but was caught before he could carry it out.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ide-door-fled-street-crew-turned-outside.html

What a horrifying individual.

3. renah

renah Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or do victims 5 - 10 all share a similar look despite their age disparity?

4. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

5. gregjrichards

It's difficult I don't like the fact he is enjoying the attention but at least it may help FBI profilers get a better understanding of how individuals like Rader think. I'm glad the profits of the book are going into a trust for the victims families rather than to Rader or the author. I didn't know much about BTK apart from the name before today but if anybody symbolises evil its him. He is rare in that he murdered people of all ages and gender.

6. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

7. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

Looks like another of those books that will make me sleep with the lights on. ;-)

Rader really was an exception in the league of serial killers. In a way, he was like the Green River killer - stayed local, went for long periods of time w/o killing anyone, etc. Most serial killers are sociopaths, control freaks, narcissists, but Rader took the narcissism up a notch. He just had to let the police know he was still out there and it ended up being his undoing.

ETA: These articles remind me, again, that I'm too friendly and trusting of workers/repairmen, etc. who show up to my home. I always do stuff like invite them in, give them water or coffee, etc. I need to remember to ask for ID's and keep them outside. I feel badly, though. Some workers look like they don't earn much money. The guys who came to work on my chimney and fireplace looked practically homeless. I wish these businesses would pay their workers better. If I'm paying $350 to have my chimney cleaned, I know the business owner can afford good wages for the guy doing the work.

8. Shelby1

Shelby1 Cancer Sucks

I just finished reading the new book. It's very very....... detailed. I had to stop reading several times during his descriptions of bondage and the killings. I rolled my eyes a lot, too. He thinks he is super smart when in reality, he is super dumb. I was one that just couldn't believe that his wife had no clue about what he was doing, but after reading this I changed my mind.

I am local to this so I have heard a lot about the case yet I found out a few new details I hadn't known.

9. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Thanks Shelby, and btw hello!

10. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

11. gregjrichards

You are brave I think I would have even more trouble sleeping at night if I read it he really is evil and extremely mentally disturbed.

12. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

13. ksprincess

ksprincess Well-Known Member

14. is there any chance that he murdered more than 10 people

15. ksprincess

ksprincess Well-Known Member

I really don't think so, he likes to brag too much about the murders he committed so I think he would have told police if he had killed anymore than 10 people.

SassynOz likes this.
  16. Yukarin

Yukarin New Member

Extremely unlikely. If I recall correctly there were mementos and other evidence in his possession from all the murders he was linked to, and the timeline for his comings and goings is fairly clear cut, as far as these things go. His MO and personality has been mapped out to a degree that anything even remotely match from the area would have been noticed by now; and also the sequence of events that eventually lead to his capture got its start from him reactivating, so there's nothing that would lead one to believe that there's more victims out there.

While about as schlocky as they come with its ham handed juxtaposition of the bad Rader and the good boy scout cop Landwehr, Roy Wenzl's book is a fun read. Even though it's about as subtle as a blow to the head and certainly no In Cold Blood, it has a such a heart under it that I can't hate lol. At about 200 pages, it gives one a good dl on the case.

joejs89 likes this.
  17. Jewels53

Jewels53 Well-Known Member

BTK serial killer planning his own ‘kick-the-bucket scenario’

The BTK serial killer, who planned the deaths of 10 victims, is planning for his own death now.

Dennis Rader, 72, had a recent cancer scare.

“I had two relatives died of colon cancer and I was sure it had found me,” Rader wrote The Wichita Eagle last week, from the El Dorado Correctional Facility. He’s serving time there for 10 counts of first-degree murder. The Kansas Department of Corrections lists his earliest possible release date as the year 2180 – 163 years from now.

http://www.kansascity.com/latest-news/article154275709.html

more at link ^

18. Colmil

Colmil New Member

19. Bargle

Bargle Active Member

Yes, Rader himself created the name in one of his letters to the police.

20. Remi_Aventura

Remi_Aventura Member

Regarding Rader's contention that his wife knew he was killing people: It will be interesting to see how his daughter's book handles that allegation. He had, on their property a shed that absolutely no one was allowed into--wonder how many people, as kids, would have found a way into that shed anyway?

Rader wasn't particularly smart; but he was beyond ordinary, except, of course, for his secrets, his bondage play and his murders.

Betty P likes this.