KS Evident "Toynbee tile" mysteriously turns up in Topeka

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by wfgodot, Jun 20, 2013.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Tile embedded in downtown street bears mystery message.(Topeka Capital-Journal)
    the rest at CJ link above

Toynbee tiles. (Wiki)

The mysterious Toynbee tiles. (damnedinteresting.com)

2. Loading...

3. Jewels53

Jewels53 Justice For Lucas!

Darn it probably to late to go over there now to take a picture! I live about 35 miles from Topeka.

How interesting, and I do wonder how long it has been there.

4. my_tee_mouse

my_tee_mouse Done. Put a Fork in Me.

Hmmmm...who could have placed the tile? Some bored sleuther with time on their hands...who is craftily setting up their alibi by telling folks they have been sick?! We're too smart for that! We've heard similar alibis before! We're on to you! :detective:

:floorlaugh:

5. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Not quite sure why - after all, Topeka's the capital of my "I was born and bred there" favorite state - but Topeka's about the last place I'd expect a Toynbee tile to turn up.

6. my_tee_mouse

my_tee_mouse Done. Put a Fork in Me.

Hmmmmm.....and yet it got MSM.....hmmmmmm.

7. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Kansas is not exactly brimming over with newsworthy events, lol. I'm thinking that this is a bogus Toynbee tile, for some reason - a counterfeit. Which would make the story actually more interesting.

8. Show Me

Show Me New Member

First there was mysterious crop circles popping up in farms all over.

Then came mysterious Toynbee tiles....embedding themselves in pavements all over.

What's next? Crop tiles? Pavement circles?

I just wanna know when mysterious $100 dollar bills will be planted in yards across the USA.

9. Gardenlady

Gardenlady Active Member

10. Ausgirl

Ausgirl Enough Is Enough!

This reminded me of 'Eternity' - the once-mysterious chalk word written all over Sydney.. There's a strange, wistful sort of story behind it, and I love how it's been embraced by the city, rather than being dismissed as vandalism..

Though it wasn't always. However, God seems to have sorted that out:

The Sydney City Council brought him to the attention of the police as they had rules about the defacing of pavements, so much so that he narrowly avoided arrest around twenty-four times. Each time he was caught, he responded with, "But I had permission from a higher source".

http://louerchezsoi.wordpress.com/2...884-1967-to-2000-new-year-sydney-celebration/

11. Ausgirl

Ausgirl Enough Is Enough!

Thanks so much for that tip - I watched it last night.. odd but charming doco. I love how it ends up being half about the doco-maker, and that both he and the tile guy are 'birdmen', and all the lucky breaks they got, too. There was a slightly eerie sense of kismet to it all. :D

12. Herding Cats

Herding Cats New Member

Ausgirl, I went and watched it on Youtube myself...darling. And the docu dudes show such great respect and self restraint...even despite their obvious eagerness and drive.

Interesting mystery indeed. The "Frankenstein" theory raises itself again - can we be brought back? And if so, will we be the same as we are now?

Just intriguing and very thought provoking. Thanks, Wuffy...this is an interesting, and to me before now unknown mystery.

Best-
    Herding Cats