KS KS - Lori Heimer 57, murdered in her Saline County home, 25 Jun 2016

Most of the earlier threads focused on the Salina stabber John Brown, but that connection has since eroded. ...If the police officially cleared Brown, then naturally you would have to look elsewhere. The police don't need to publicly eliminate or disavow suspects, but being that Brown is in prison and his DNA is in the criminal database, he's probably been cleared.
<modsnip - removed names of people not named as suspects or POIs in this case>

As far as I know, and I'm no expert, just someone who lives in the area and who has taken an interest in this case because Lori lived in much the same secluded situation I live in and I've been locking my doors ever since her murder - they've never named a person of interest.

The local sheriff's office did have a BOLO out for the gentleman I mentioned earlier, but he seemed to have disappeared. A rumor - and this is just one rumor from a relative who works in law enforcement (I'm sure there are dozens more) - is that the guy I saw, and others saw and reported, wasn't seen again after her murder, and speculation was that he might have been a serial killer. She was murdered on a Saturday, and the last I saw him was on Friday a couple of miles south of the road that leads to her home -- 81 Highway. A couple of days before that, he had been sitting in the ditch across from my home -- again on 81 Highway, and I rode my bike past him. Later that day or the next day, I was driving on the highway in my car and he was walking toward the same highway coming from a dead-end road. Those were the three times I saw him, others also saw him and mentioned "that guy was odd." Others reported seeing him to the Saline Sheriffs Office and the KBI. I heard about the BOLO, but nothing else.

As far as the murder itself, as some have posted here, it was brutal and (in my opinion) you'd either have to hate someone so badly that you were enraged to do what that killer did -- or you'd have to be the kind of person who kills for the thrill of it.

The minute I heard about the murder, I thought about the man who'd been along the highway. Others thought the same thing. But, he was on foot, and that would mean he'd have a hard time getting away from Lori's house without being seen. I've checked the topography and there's a river he wouldn't be able to cross without being noticed. My sister I decided to ride our bikes down the dead-end road I saw him coming out of and at a point where the road is crossed by a trail you can walk on or ride your bike on, we found a bike hidden in the weeds. I know it probably had nothing to do with him, but it looked like a good bike so we notified law enforcement about it. They picked up the bike and nothing else was ever said about it.

This case haunts me and I think LE dropped the ball. Normally, I don't think anyone needs to know the graphic details of how someone died, but in this case, I think it might be wise for LE to put it out there in case any other killings like that have happened elsewhere and, they too, are keeping it quiet.

I used to feel safe at home but not so much since Lori was killed. Too much time has passed, her beautiful girls deserve closure. Her husband deserves closure. We all want to feel safe again.

I am, too. I live just a few miles away from the Heimer farm and I don't think the Salina Sheriff's Office did a good job. For example, many of us reported seeing a man dressed all in black who was up and down 81 Highway in the three days before her murder -- but no one bothered to take a description from any of us. Then, the Sheriff's Dept. said they would not work with a TV show about her murder.
Good to have you on board GRT!

Have you read the earlier posts about the young man and his knives? Very interesting but the police say he is a definite no. Right around the same time however, this particular person sliced the thumb of a "friend" and then almost killed another person with a sword.

I think that whoever killed her would have to know where she lived. It doesn't strike me as a place someone would stumble uponand decide to hurt or rob her but that's jmo.

If you get a chance, check out the part of the thread covering "John Brown".(?)
He had buddies from Gypsum. Just east of LH's home.

And it's the KBI that has the case. They are not releasing much. (Nothing).

Good to have you on board GRT!

Have you read the earlier posts about the young man and his knives? Very interesting but the police say he is a definite no. Right around the same time however, this particular person sliced the thumb of a "friend" and then almost killed another person with a sword.

I think that whoever killed her would have to know where she lived. It doesn't strike me as a place someone would stumble uponand decide to hurt or rob her but that's jmo.

If you get a chance, check out the part of the thread covering "John Brown".(?)
He had buddies from Gypsum. Just east of LH's home.

And it's the KBI that has the case. They are not releasing much. (Nothing).

Thank you for the kind welcome! Yes, I spent quite a bit of time reading all the posts about JB. Yes, someone would have to go our of their way to reach her. It's very disturbing.

As far as I know, and I'm no expert, just someone who lives in the area and who has taken an interest in this case because Lori lived in much the same secluded situation I live in and I've been locking my doors ever since her murder - they've never named a person of interest.

The local sheriff's office did have a BOLO out for the gentleman I mentioned earlier, but he seemed to have disappeared. A rumor - and this is just one rumor from a relative who works in law enforcement (I'm sure there are dozens more) - is that the guy I saw, and others saw and reported, wasn't seen again after her murder, and speculation was that he might have been a serial killer. She was murdered on a Saturday, and the last I saw him was on Friday a couple of miles south of the road that leads to her home -- 81 Highway. A couple of days before that, he had been sitting in the ditch across from my home -- again on 81 Highway, and I rode my bike past him. Later that day or the next day, I was driving on the highway in my car and he was walking toward the same highway coming from a dead-end road. Those were the three times I saw him, others also saw him and mentioned "that guy was odd." Others reported seeing him to the Saline Sheriffs Office and the KBI. I heard about the BOLO, but nothing else.

As far as the murder itself, as some have posted here, it was brutal and (in my opinion) you'd either have to hate someone so badly that you were enraged to do what that killer did -- or you'd have to be the kind of person who kills for the thrill of it.

The minute I heard about the murder, I thought about the man who'd been along the highway. Others thought the same thing. But, he was on foot, and that would mean he'd have a hard time getting away from Lori's house without being seen. I've checked the topography and there's a river he wouldn't be able to cross without being noticed. My sister I decided to ride our bikes down the dead-end road I saw him coming out of and at a point where the road is crossed by a trail you can walk on or ride your bike on, we found a bike hidden in the weeds. I know it probably had nothing to do with him, but it looked like a good bike so we notified law enforcement about it. They picked up the bike and nothing else was ever said about it.

This case haunts me and I think LE dropped the ball. Normally, I don't think anyone needs to know the graphic details of how someone died, but in this case, I think it might be wise for LE to put it out there in case any other killings like that have happened elsewhere and, they too, are keeping it quiet.

I used to feel safe at home but not so much since Lori was killed. Too much time has passed, her beautiful girls deserve closure. Her husband deserves closure. We all want to feel safe again.
About this ninja looking person.......read what the guy who had his thumb sliced said. Seems he alluded to JB in a ninja outfit? I need to go back and reread this. But it appears that during this time, JB was way off his rocker. Or so it seemed through newspaper articles and court records.
JB was eventually charged and convicted for assault on the 2nd guy he attacked. This young man had to be airlifted to Wichita he was in such bad shape.

About this ninja looking person.......read what the guy who had his thumb sliced said. Seems he alluded to JB in a ninja outfit? I need to go back and reread this. But it appears that during this time, JB was way off his rocker. Or so it seemed through newspaper articles and court records.
JB was eventually charged and convicted for assault on the 2nd guy he attacked. This young man had to be airlifted to Wichita he was in such bad shape.

That is definitely an odd coincidence. I saw JB's photo and he looked quite a bit younger, however. This guy had like black jeans and some sort of black jacket even though it was pretty hot out. He looked to be in his late forties, maybe, he had some graying of his black hair, and his hair was kind of long, but not fluffy -- thinner. But, the black clothing he had on and the description of JB as "ninja" are very strange.

That is definitely an odd coincidence. I saw JB's photo and he looked quite a bit younger, however. This guy had like black jeans and some sort of black jacket even though it was pretty hot out. He looked to be in his late forties, maybe, he had some graying of his black hair, and his hair was kind of long, but not fluffy -- thinner. But, the black clothing he had on and the description of JB as "ninja" are very strange.

The person you describe sounds like one of the guys in the truck that was sighted. I'm going to refer to your ninja as N81. You know, if a person is dressed as a ninja and doesn't get cut during a violent murder, would the ninja outfit keep his dna from being all over the place? This is all very interesting. I need to do some organizing of known facts. It may take awhile.

The nearest Cracker Barrel to Lori's would be about an hour's drive to the south, but typically when a breeder is going to "show" someone a dog, the person comes to their home. We don't know if anyone other than the killer ever showed up at Lori's home that afternoon. No one has come forward at any rate. I, too, think phone logs would show -- and I'm sure the family and KBI had access to her Facebook and email accounts, so they could see if she was chatting online with anyone. Yet, they've never said. Nor, have they ever said if a puppy or puppies were ever taken. I don't think any were missing but I don't know for sure.
It has always been to my understanding, from law enforcement sources, that there were so many puppies there, they were unable to officially determine if any were actually missing. Other dog breeders I’ve known over the years typically kept a log of their inventory of puppies, but I’m guessing LH did not keep a log if they couldn’t determine if any were missing.

Last edited:
It has always been to my understanding, from law enforcement sources, that there were so many puppies there, they were unable to officially determine if any were actually missing.

That may well be true, but law enforcement has been so lax (JMOO) in their handling of this case. From the very beginning, it was all hush-hush and they completely ignored the guy who'd been walking/sitting/sleeping on 81 for the week prior. I saw him the day prior to her murder but no one saw him afterward to my knowledge. The Saline Sheriff's Dept. could have worked with Unsolved Mysteries or other crime shows, but they didn't want to share their information. Way back then, I wish people would have gotten together and hired a private investigator. Now, four years later, her poor daughters are still dealing with the fallout. Just awful.

That may well be true, but law enforcement has been so lax (JMOO) in their handling of this case. From the very beginning, it was all hush-hush and they completely ignored the guy who'd been walking/sitting/sleeping on 81 for the week prior. I saw him the day prior to her murder but no one saw him afterward to my knowledge. The Saline Sheriff's Dept. could have worked with Unsolved Mysteries or other crime shows, but they didn't want to share their information. Way back then, I wish people would have gotten together and hired a private investigator. Now, four years later, her poor daughters are still dealing with the fallout. Just awful.
Unsolved Mysteries just recently went back into production and new episodes are actually set to be released on Netflix later this week, so that option still exists and should be considered, in my view.

I am, too. I live just a few miles away from the Heimer farm and I don't think the Salina Sheriff's Office did a good job. For example, many of us reported seeing a man dressed all in black who was up and down 81 Highway in the three days before her murder -- but no one bothered to take a description from any of us. Then, the Sheriff's Dept. said they would not work with a TV show about her murder.
I don't think he had line-of-vision sight of their home the whole time he was harvesting, but others, reportedly, were with him that afternoon.
I don’t know that he was working with others. According to Loris poodle page— June 23rd 10:39 pm , they will be finished with harvest tomorrow and she’ll be able to answer questions on the pups after that. Why did Lori state they be done with harvest tomorrow making date June 24th. It sounded like to me in the post she’s been busy with harvest, so I do think Lori was helping Ron with harvest. I also believe if Ron was Harvesting on 25 th Lori would of still been helping him as she had been. So where’s the link to people said they were with him all afternoon. No one knows what time Lori was killed. It may not of been in the afternoon it could of been around 5:00 that’s not afternoon. Please click the link scroll down to june 23rd 10:35 pm.. loris poodle page .. read her post ..Lori's Poodle Patch

I don’t know that he was working with others. According to Loris poodle page— June 23rd 10:39 pm , they will be finished with harvest tomorrow and she’ll be able to answer questions on the pups after that. Why did Lori state they be done with harvest tomorrow making date June 24th. It sounded like to me in the post she’s been busy with harvest, so I do think Lori was helping Ron with harvest. I also believe if Ron was Harvesting on 25 th Lori would of still been helping him as she had been. So where’s the link to people said they were with him all afternoon. No one knows what time Lori was killed. It may not of been in the afternoon it could of been around 5:00 that’s not afternoon. Please click the link scroll down to june 23rd 10:35 pm.. loris poodle page .. read her post ..Lori's Poodle Patch

Yes, I've seen her page, and I, too, wonder why the harvest ran longer than it was supposed to.

I was told Ron had help in the fields, and that would make sense, because someone has to drive the truck to the silo, dump it and come back. They did check him out but (as I understand it from family in law enforcement) his alibi was airtight. I'm not sure if there is a link to an MSM story that verifies that so I'll say JMOO on that topic, but he's not a suspect at this point.

JMOO that they needed to look into the guy on 81 highway that so many of us reported. They had a BOLO out on him right after the murder but never found him. As far as I know, no one who reported the man (myself included) was ever contacted to do a sketch. All supposition, but it seems like someone dropped the ball on that one.

I don’t know how I just came across this case. I’m assuming since they could never determine if any puppies were stolen then LH didn’t keep good records or it wasn’t a priority to the family (no judgement I wouldn’t have known it someone stole a dozen of my moms dogs).

My mom and several of her friends (5) raised dogs, stealing puppies is pretty common. People would just show up at our house when my parents weren’t home, or when we were asleep to steal puppies.

It wouldn’t surprise me if it was a puppy stealing gone wrong. Maybe Lori tried to stop them and they killed her.

While it sounds like the husband was verified having an alibi working with other people, it’d be nice to have him officially cleared because you know it’s always the husband.

Anyway, I hope Lori gets justice and her family gets closure.

Cause of death or at least how I read it dosnt sound like " oh we are caught strike them in the head and run" kinda deal to me ?

Still nothing on this.

The guy that was arrested several days after LH murder was eventually tried and convicted on an assault on another person
using a samurai type weapon.

I have NO clue how this person got about town. Can't recall his name but LE insisted he was NOT responsible for LH murder.

One of our Sleuths took a Google earth trip around nearby areas of LH's home and found a vehicle fitting the description of one of the vehicles witnessed that day. It was in Gypsum, Kansas, nearby Assairia, KS. The KBI was notified but it is unknown if anyone followed up on it.

Another reason I found this interesting is because some of the people that the Samurai guy hung with were from Gypsum.

All that is located in this thread except for the info re the suspect vehicle which was done through PM.

Please, someone take a new and unbiased look at this case.

Still nothing on this.

The guy that was arrested several days after LH murder was eventually tried and convicted on an assault on another person
using a samurai type weapon.

I have NO clue how this person got about town. Can't recall his name but LE insisted he was NOT responsible for LH murder.

One of our Sleuths took a Google earth trip around nearby areas of LH's home and found a vehicle fitting the description of one of the vehicles witnessed that day. It was in Gypsum, Kansas, nearby Assairia, KS. The KBI was notified but it is unknown if anyone followed up on it.

Another reason I found this interesting is because some of the people that the Samurai guy hung with were from Gypsum.

All that is located in this thread except for the info re the suspect vehicle which was done through PM.

Please, someone take a new and unbiased look at this case.

I did the Google Earth trip around LH's house as well--the Smoky Hill river cuts off a number of roads, so the killer only had a few paths out of there if he was heading West to Old 81.

I still wonder about the guy in all black who was along 81 for the week or so before Lori was killed. I saw him numerous times and he's not the same guy as the one with the sword. The last I saw him was the day before she died, and he was just north of Bridgeport, still on 81. A number of us in the area reported him to both Saline County Sheriff as well as the KBI. Never got a callback. I always thought they'd at least take a description from one of us. Nope.

As far as I know, the Saline County Sheriff is more into keeping everything quiet rather than sharing with any investigative shows.

By now, it's obvious they're not investigating the case anymore.

I feel so badly for Lori's four beautiful daughters. I really wish they'd release more details in hopes someone, somewhere, recognizes the type of crime and can offer a link.

After five years, leads still sought in Lori Heimer murder case
After five years, leads still sought in Lori Heimer murder case
Posted Jun 25, 2021 8:39 PM
By SALINA POST

ASSARIA - After five years, the death of Lori Heimer in her rural Saline County home remains unsolved.

"Unfortunately we do not have new information to share with the public that we believe would help further the Lori Heimer murder case," Melissa Underwood, communications director for the Kansas Bureau of Investigation, told Salina Post this afternoon. "The investigation remains ongoing."
[...]

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288