Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Knox, Aug 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krAL2007

krAL2007 New Member

There is a monastery in Cullman, AL between Birmingham and Huntsville.

Benedictine Sisters of Cullman, AL

forgive me, as I don’t know much about Catholic workings, but I wonder if it could be something if someone really did report seeing a vehicle matching the description in Huntsville, AL.

2. dkryder

dkryder Well-Known Member

It occurs to me that if she did become a Catholic then her family might consider that as her "mental illness" . She might have been given the option to seek help in trying to chose between her new faith or her family. That would be a tough choice. Total speculation and MOO.

3. cluciano63

cluciano63 Well-Known Member

Bizarre that her car cannot be located.
    Her apparent conversion is certainly very strange, considering everything...

4. Laughing

Laughing Well-Known Member

I thought the video was part of an application for a college Education department, to complete coursework to become a certified teacher?

Maybe I need to find the link & have a re-run?

(Agree on how some people might view a conversion to Catholicism as a "mental illness.")

Marilane, call home, call a sister, call someone; drive into a police station just to say "I'm OK!"

JMHO YMMV LRR

Ninja Bunny, 303gmf, misgrn and 8 others like this.
  5. Kensie

Kensie Well-Known Member

I am in Huntsville and my son lives in Cordova, TN. We are on the lookout for Marilane.
    Hoping this young lady is found safe.

elliefant, AnnaGrace, j_in_c and 14 others like this.
  6. Ozarka

Ozarka Well-Known Member

I am somewhat familiar with the area. She could have thrown the phone out of the car on the bridge entering AR and could be anywhere now.
    MOO

7. Kensie

Kensie Well-Known Member

Good point Ozarka.

ReaderRabbit, Ozarka, misgrn and 4 others like this.
  8. Subiechik21

Subiechik21 Well-Known Member

I am in Birmingham and on the lookout as well!

9. Subiechik21

My husband's family is from Fairhope so this hits a little close to home. And he has family in the Athens area which is close to Huntsville.

10. Subiechik21

I hope that's what she did, that would be the best outcome.

11. cluciano63

cluciano63 Well-Known Member

Have they said phone is not not functional? For some reason I thought it was possible to find a phone, even if turned off, but probably wrong...

Marg from Oz, Ozarka, misgrn and 8 others like this.
  12. diggndeeperstill

diggndeeperstill Well-Known Member

I dint think we know what she was applying for just that it sounded like a teaching position or program. We don’t know where.
    Interesting the media release says prepared by Detective Larsen but on the NAMUS the detective is-
    Overland Park Police Department
    (913) 895-6000

Agency Case Number2020-013033
    Kathleen Wedel, Detective
    --

13. thebigcookie

thebigcookie Active Member

I also live in Memphis in the suburb of Germantown and I have heard about this case on social media. I find it odd she only stayed in the hotel for two and a half hours and hardly got any sleep. She may have mental issues and sleep issues. Seems odd the trip takes so long. The drive from the hotel in West Plains, MO to Memphis is only about three hours yet it took her all day. Where was she for all those hours? I’ve been near there canoeing in Mammoth Spring, AR which is on that route. That route also passes through Hardy, AR where Kia Kima Boy Scout Camp is. I have been across that old bridge many times. In fact, I was just on it a month ago when I was going on a trip to NW Arkansas. There is a pedestrian bridge next to it but it does not connect to the water. You would have to access it from Riverside Drive or from Mud Island.

This whole Catholic thing seems strange too. I wonder if it was a different person and their name was misspelled in the bulletin like another poster said. But then again, she followed a Catholic priest on her YouTube channel so maybe it was her. Seems odd she is married to a Baptist minister and joins a Catholic Church like that.

And the church her husband is pastor of is Leawood Baptist Church in Leawood, KS. And it just so happens there is also a Leawood Baptist Church here in Memphis in the Highland Heights/Nutbush area at Macon and Homer.

I think it sounds like this woman may be depressed and have mental issues. This could be a voluntary disappearance where she just needs to get away. I only hope she will be found and return to her family.

14. swedeheart

swedeheart Well-Known Member

live now: (marilane's case coming up soon).

15. swedeheart

she didn't pack bags, but was seen rolling a suitcase in and out of the hotel. that's not making sense to me.

16. diggndeeperstill

Gray Hughes discussing live-

17. diggndeeperstill

I started reading and trying to organize a timeline on paper and inconsistencies in my mind. I noticed this article and am further confused.

This Multi-state search for missing Overland Park mom continues as family fears for her safety | FOX 4 Kansas City WDAF-TV | News, Weather, Sports article states:

Since then, she was seen at a gas station in West Memphis, Arkansas, on Sunday and on Monday at another gas station in Southhaven, Mississippi. Officer John Lacy with the Overland Park Police Department said they’re waiting for more information.

--------
    So, I am wondering what time the gas station was, if the video is available, what her demeanor was then, how she paid, and what she purchased. Did someone follow her from here? It wouldn't really make sense to go get gas if you were planning to commit suicide I wouldn't think.

I know the Southaven, Mississippi sighting doesn't have video per the family and therefore is "unconfirmed".

18. MemPat

MemPat Without Art the Earth is just Eh!

My hinky-meter is definitely pinging on this case.

The fact that the husband is Lead Pastor at a Baptist Church and Marilane possibly celebrated a first Holy Communion in the Catholic Church would threaten his career.

His job security would very much depend on her staying within his church. (Trust me on this.)

Also I'm always surprised when families talk all around the subject of depression as though "sleep problems" bad enough to seek therapy don't add up to that.

Again, a problem that falls in the category of mental illness could reflect badly on the Pastor, depending on who was judging the reflecting.

If I had to guess (and it is a guess), I'd suspect Marilane has been suffering from Clinical Depression and has been discouraged from seeing a therapist. A friend may have recommended a Catholic Priest who has been counseling her, leading to her decision to join the Catholic Church.

MOO

I hope I'm completely wrong and that she's someplace getting professional help. I'm here in Memphis praying she's in a hospital close by.

19. swedeheart

@diggndeeperstill i think the sightings are unsubstantiated. does anyone know if the hotel footage is 100 percent her? has that been confirmed by LE?

also, i have read and heard clips (news) that her husband was driving around looking for her and asking about her (after she went missing, i'm assuming, but when exactly?) where was he the day she went missing, and where all did he drive to and when? (i'm so confused about this timeline and her route).

why did he state she left with only the clothes on her back and maybe a backpack, but she is at a hotel with a suitcase, and a heavy one by the looks of it? why did she check in and out so quickly? if the hotel was 4 hours from her home, why did it take her 8 to get to the hotel? could her husband have found where she was at (hotel) by calling her credit card or tracking her phone? is it possible that's why she left so quickly (both home and the hotel)? was she running from him?

she's listed in NAMUS, but why aren't all 3 states she was travelling through involved in searching for her?

and wth is he so adamant that boats are needed? seems like he's jumping to conclusions pretty fast.

this is all speculation, so moo, but i'm just throwing some ideas (and some questions) out there bc it's nagging at me.

AnnaGrace, MemPat, Laughing and 12 others like this.
  20. MemPat

MemPat Without Art the Earth is just Eh!

I should have read your post before I left mine! Thanks for getting us beyond speculation about Marilane's circumstances,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.