Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hinky-meter is definitely pinging on this case.

The fact that the husband is Lead Pastor at a Baptist Church and Marilane possibly celebrated a first Holy Communion in the Catholic Church would threaten his career.

His job security would very much depend on her staying within his church. (Trust me on this.)

Also I'm always surprised when families talk all around the subject of depression as though "sleep problems" bad enough to seek therapy don't add up to that.

Again, a problem that falls in the category of mental illness could reflect badly on the Pastor, depending on who was judging the reflecting.

If I had to guess (and it is a guess), I'd suspect Marilane has been suffering from Clinical Depression and has been discouraged from seeing a therapist. A friend may have recommended a Catholic Priest who has been counseling her, leading to her decision to join the Catholic Church.

MOO

I hope I'm completely wrong and that she's someplace getting professional help. I'm here in Memphis praying she's in a hospital close by.
I wonder if the husband has online access to their credit cards and can see if she’s using them ?

I just went back to the beginning and reread the thread and looked at the videos and it struck me that this young woman was under incredible stress.
She is a daughter, mother and wife and with each of these roles she has enormous outside standards to meet. I also think she may not have had anyone she could trust, who she felt could understand, to talk to because the stressors came from the very people and circumstances that set the standards.
I truly don't believe there was abuse going on, I believe this is a person who felt she could not go on one more day feeling she could not meet the behaviors expected of her on all fronts.
I wonder if she made contact somehow with a group that would help her disappear. MOO MOO MOO

As a mental health professional, I think it’s unlikely - but not impossible - that she is in a psychiatric hospital. Typically, hospitals will try to contact a patient’s identified next-of-kin (if not a husband, then a mother, sister, etc.) as this is a key aspect of discharge planning (and planning for discharge starts right away). Also, there’s the matter of payment...I’m assuming her health insurance company has been contacted?

Just throwing ideas out....if she planned for some time that she might need to get away from her situation, could she have applied for a credit card in just her name? Squirreled away cash? Bought a burner phone to use? I had a relative who needed to leave a marriage and she did all these things in secret before leaving.

And I don't mean to say that there was necessarily abuse going on. If a person is suffering from mental illness, perhaps they could have paranoia to the extent that these things seem like prudent decisions.

Seems to me there are two primary possibilities here and they hinge on whether MC actually converted to Catholicism and whether her husband knew about it. If the woman listed in the Catholic Church bulletin is our missing woman (and not a typo or a different person) it seems likely to me that she’s struggling mentally and/or spiritually but is not running from a controlling or abusive husband. I can’t imagine such a man either allowing his wife to convert (given his position) or not knowing how she was spending much of her time.

A controlling husband would be checking out her reading materials, following her when she left the house, etc. From what I’ve read about this process, it would be hard to hide it from a spouse who was paying attention. Of course, I suppose he could have supported her in her conversion, and perhaps agreed to help her hide it from her conservative, perhaps evangelical family, in which case, we’re back to a mental/ spiritual struggle, but not an abusive husband.

If, otoh, our MC did not convert, IMO that makes the “escape from an abusive spouse” option more likely.

I started reading and trying to organize a timeline on paper and inconsistencies in my mind. I noticed this article and am further confused.

This Multi-state search for missing Overland Park mom continues as family fears for her safety | FOX 4 Kansas City WDAF-TV | News, Weather, Sports article states:

Since then, she was seen at a gas station in West Memphis, Arkansas, on Sunday and on Monday at another gas station in Southhaven, Mississippi. Officer John Lacy with the Overland Park Police Department said they’re waiting for more information.

--------
So, I am wondering what time the gas station was, if the video is available, what her demeanor was then, how she paid, and what she purchased. Did someone follow her from here? It wouldn't really make sense to go get gas if you were planning to commit suicide I wouldn't think.

I know the Southaven, Mississippi sighting doesn't have video per the family and therefore is "unconfirmed".
after the mom and daughter missing in FL and mom ending up dying in a bathroom from a "medical episode" I can't rule anything out for this one. If she is trying to get away - I've hesitated creating a media thread for her - but I may do it today if I have time. I just thought she would have shown up by now if this is medical related.
JMO

As a mental health professional, I think it’s unlikely - but not impossible - that she is in a psychiatric hospital. Typically, hospitals will try to contact a patient’s identified next-of-kin (if not a husband, then a mother, sister, etc.) as this is a key aspect of discharge planning (and planning for discharge starts right away). Also, there’s the matter of payment...I’m assuming her health insurance company has been contacted?
Thank you so much for that info! Makes sense and is reassuring to me. As much as I wish she was in good hands in a mental health facility, I have a VERY hard time believing that said facility would have failed to make themselves known by now!

IMO, between privacy policies and stigma, anyone (patient or loved one) touched by a mental health crisis has a tough row to hoe, to use an old farming idiom.

It can be complex and exhausting.

And pretty difficult to get it right.

Last edited:

This article mentions that she was hoping to receive treatment at a hospital in Birmingham where she formerly worked.

She left her home in Kansas Tuesday night heading to Birmingham where her parents live. She hoped to get help for anxiety and an inability to sleep at a hospital there where she once worked and felt comfortable talking with counselors.

Quoting myself to add to this. I shared before I listened.

Brady indicated he did not know of Marilane’s mental health problems before this.

LE indicated based on phone records and searches that she began looking for a place to go Saturday night.

He was asked something along the lines of why didn’t someone go with her, he gave the same answer. Something along the lines of she’s a grown woman then eventually we didn’t know it would deteriorate this fast.

Conversations during the drive indicate she was on a dirt road at some point.

Conversations with her mom made her mom think she was outside the vehicle.

Last edited:
Quoting myself to add to this. I shared before I listened.

Brady indicated he did not know of Marilane’s mental health problems before this.

LE infucated based on phone records and searches that she began looking for a place to go Saturday night.

He was asked something along the lines of why didn’t someone go with her, he gave the same answer. Something along the lines of she’s a grown woman then eventually we didn’t know it would deteriorate this fast.

Conversations during the drive indicate she was on a dirt road at some point.

Conversations with her mom made her mom think she was outside the vehicle.

If she was on a dirt road, this may be the reason they are organizing a search of the river. There are all kinds of little dirt roads along this area that could lead to the river. Some are even visible from the interstate. Maybe she chose to go to the river's edge for some reason known only to her? She could have become stuck or maybe she had a breakdown.

The other thing on my mind is GPS. She could have simply gotten lost using a nav system in her car. Last winter we attended a wedding in an area we know extremely well. The reception was about 10 miles away in a nearby area that we had not been to but knew how to get there. We set our GPS just to make sure we were not late by taking any wrong turns. It took us in the back way, and when I say back way, I mean not just dirt roads, but dirt roads that were badly washed out. It was precarious at best and we were driving a pick-up truck, to boot. Being at night made it even more intimidating. It was pretty crazy and there was definitely a much easier way to get there.

Just some ideas bouncing around in my head. Whatever led her off the path of the planned trip, something else has happened. Praying she can be found safe and whatever her needs are, that she gets what she needs.

What a bizarre case! There are so many strange little details that, when put together make things more confusing.

I guess the first thing that pops out with just the initial information is if she left her house at 8pm on 8/1 and only had a 12-hour drive to her destination why didn't her husband question her the evening of 8/2 when she still had not arrived. Based on reported sightings, it does seem she was heading towards Birmingham, but with only a 3 hour stop at the motel, why hadn't she gotten there yet, and why was she then reported missing on the 5th?

It does seem like it's possible she was leaving voluntarily. The worrisome fact is she has not used her credit cards and does not appear to have cash if she had to get help paying for gas from a stranger. All so strange.

The not sleeping is another factor. As far as we know from 8/1-8/2, the most sleep MC could have gotten was 3 hours, and that is assuming she slept at the motel. We also don't know how much sleep she had gotten previous to that, and after that, so being confused, disoriented from sleep deprivation is a big risk factor and can even lead to psychosis.

I am very worried for Marilane.

What a bizarre case! There are so many strange little details that, when put together make things more confusing.

I guess the first thing that pops out with just the initial information is if she left her house at 8pm on 8/1 and only had a 12-hour drive to her destination why didn't her husband question her the evening of 8/2 when she still had not arrived. Based on reported sightings, it does seem she was heading towards Birmingham, but with only a 3 hour stop at the motel, why hadn't she gotten there yet, and why was she then reported missing on the 5th?

It does seem like it's possible she was leaving voluntarily. The worrisome fact is she has not used her credit cards and does not appear to have cash if she had to get help paying for gas from a stranger. All so strange.

The not sleeping is another factor. As far as we know from 8/1-8/2, the most sleep MC could have gotten was 3 hours, and that is assuming she slept at the motel. We also don't know how much sleep she had gotten previous to that, and after that, so being confused, disoriented from sleep deprivation is a big risk factor and can even lead to psychosis.

I am very worried for Marilane.

BBM I do think that they have ruled out the woman who needed help with gas as not being her. That happened in Southhaven, MS and her phone last pinged in West Memphis, Ark. correct? Someone feel free to correct any of these details that I may have wrong.

BBM I do think that they have ruled out the woman who needed help with gas as not being her. That happened in Southhaven, MS and her phone last pinged in West Memphis, Ark. correct? Someone feel free to correct any of these details that I may have wrong.
I don’t think they “ruled it out” per se. I believe it was said that it couldn’t be confirmed. There was no video, no confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk