Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since she had a ticket to fly out to Birmingham and didn't use it, has there been a thorough search of long term lots and parking garages at the Memphis airport to see if she paid cash for another ticket and left from there? Would LE check like that for a missing person or only for suspected foul play victims.
Also, this sounds like a case, in which a good private detective could get more results quicker than LE.
I’ve wondered why the family haven’t hired a PI as well.

Press conference was extremely good. IMO she is/was in danger. I live about 10 minutes from Louisville, Ky. An article on their local TV station said carjackings here are up 275% from last year!
Although the river is massive (I travel through that area a lot), I would be more inclined to think of a carjacking and abduction simply because West Memphis/Memphis is very dangerous.
Just my opinion.

The fact she didn't take the flight doesn't strike me as completely odd. SW is very good at giving you credit for the flight you didn't take. With that said, maybe that's exactly what she did?
I hope you’re right. SW is definitely accommodating. I keep thinking I hope TODAY is the day she is finally found safe.

Hi all, I've been following this story and thread but didn't have much to offer as I am such a newbie sleuth. I wondered if anyone had thought more about the priest she followed on youtube? For some reason, this just stuck out to me and I keep going back to that. I looked him up on other social media platforms and found that he was most active on Twitter until mid-July when he stopped posting and now has a deactivated account. I used webarchive to see if I could find anything that stuck out to me but didn't find anything out of the ordinary in regard to posts. Just that he was very active, sometimes posting multiple times a day. It could be a complete coincidence, but I just found it interesting with everything going on. Perhaps he was a confidant to her? JMO of course, but with so little to go off in this case I thought maybe a newbie could offer something new.

I can’t answer for MemPat, but I concur with her viewpoint.
My suspicions are based on 14 years of cases we’ve watched play out on WS and 26 years personal experience in my own failed marriage to man who’s identity is dependant upon absolute power in his profession and a perfect public image. Charm, charm, benevolence and charm.
Perfection isn’t reality. Any family member who is not enhancing this image of perfection can be ostracized. Whispers begin with the powerful person threatening or spreading rumors about the spouse’s behavior or mental health. Control.
Suddenly, someone is missing. And there are plenty of excuses ready and waiting to be tossed about so that will look like she’s crazy or suicidal.

I hope this is not the case with MariLane and her family, but it is a valid theory.

MOO

I think Marilane did a runner.

I think she was in a relationship where she felt she was being controlled and her chafing at the role of “perfect baptist pastor’s wife” got her labeled as “mentally ill.” A baptist pastor’s wife converting to catholicism would be a pretty big deal in their circle (I think she did it to assert some independence) and I bet there had to be at least some arguments about it. I bet she got tired of being stifled and took off.

Instead of checking into a mental health facility, I think she sought refuge at a catholic church that hooked her up with a safe house; despite COVID some may be open for limited or emergency services.

Last edited:
Hi all, I've been following this story and thread but didn't have much to offer as I am such a newbie sleuth. I wondered if anyone had thought more about the priest she followed on youtube? For some reason, this just stuck out to me and I keep going back to that. I looked him up on other social media platforms and found that he was most active on Twitter until mid-July when he stopped posting and now has a deactivated account. I used webarchive to see if I could find anything that stuck out to me but didn't find anything out of the ordinary in regard to posts. Just that he was very active, sometimes posting multiple times a day. It could be a complete coincidence, but I just found it interesting with everything going on. Perhaps he was a confidant to her? JMO of course, but with so little to go off in this case I thought maybe a newbie could offer something new.

Welcome to WS, canyons.... great first post and terrific sleuthing! :)

MOO

Speaking as a Catholic, I don’t think she’s hiding out in a Catholic Church. As far as I know the church doesn’t hide people.

I don’t believe she is in a convent either. Convents don’t take in married women. Some take in widows to become nuns.

Maybe she is in a shelter funded by the Catholic Church but that would probably be the extent of it.

IMO

I think Marilane did a runner.

I think she was in a relationship where she felt she was being controlled and her chafing at the role of “perfect baptist pastor’s wife” got her labeled as “mentally ill.” A baptist pastor’s wife converting to catholicism would be a pretty big deal in their circle (I think she did it to assert some independence) and I bet there had to be at least some arguments about it. I bet she got tired of being stifled and took off.

Instead of checking into a mental health facility, I think she sought refuge at a catholic church that hooked her up with a safe house; despite COVID some may be open for limited or emergency services.

While I'm on the same boat as you with her taking off, I keep coming back to the fact that she was en route to her parents house and called in several times.
If she got help and was going to take off - why not ditch her phone out the window and take off in whatever direction she wanted/needed to?

Last edited:
UPDATE 4:30PM CST August 15, 2020

Volunteers are distributing and posting flyers not only in the West Memphis/Memphis areas, but nationwide. THANK YOU to all who are stepping in and making this happen.

MS River search: Sonar data from the volunteer boaters is still in review process. Daphne Search and Rescue was unable to launch as planned. Thankfully, Team Watters Sonar Search and Recovery is preparing to launch a secondary sweep of the areas within and downstream of the last cell ping. We have some amazing volunteers handling this.

BIG news on cell phone triangulation / data: It appears law enforcement in Arkansas were able to obtain an exigent circumstances search warrant for Marilane's cell phone - to include tower data dumps and content. This data should help law enforcement forensic cell phone experts better determine where Marilane's phone is. Please pray this results in a breakthrough to find her.

Expansion of search area: we are asking everyone across not only the region and the areas she stopped (Rolla, MO; West Plains, MO; Hazen, AR; and West Memphis, AR), but NATIONWIDE to BOLO for Marilane and her car.

Here is a map that shows locations based on Marilane's credit card purchases (note: it does not account for missing time in the timeline).

She could be anywhere. 2011 GMC Acadia (dark gray / charcoal) with Kansas tag 194 LFY. No stickers or distinctive markings. Marilane was last seen wearing a red shirt and dark pants with a hat.

Marilane was traveling to Birmingham, AL to seek mental health help and last seen in West Memphis, AR, on Sunday, August 2, 2020, at approx 5PM at the Shell Station at 3900 Petro Road.

God bless all of you working to help us find Marilane.

Pray. Share. Hope. Look. #FindMarilane ❤️
Find Marilane
upload_2020-8-15_16-42-42.jpeg

Agree with someone else, great first post. Funny I was sleuthing him this morning as well. I noted what you did and saw many deleted tweets. I wonder why? Also, very few followers on the YouTube which made me wonder how and why she found him. I did wonder if his story of his calling resonated with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23