Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Knox, Aug 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Help-find

Help-find Well-Known Member

Meaning someone should have found her vehicle by now? I agree however as several have pointed out throughout our discussions - plenty of examples of people’s car being missed all the while it’s in “plain sight”. In a residential neighborhood etc. it’s probably not going to show up at the Memphis airport but for a random neighborhood somewhere (either side of the bridge) I could see it being overlooked. There has been very little press at all in regards to her disappearance-especially in our immediate area. I see more articles out of Alabama and Kansas City.

2. s10

s10 Member

I'm sure that MPD, WMPD, County Sherriff's, ARSP, TNSP etc all have a BOLO for that vehicle in their respective jurisdictions. It is just crazy to me that it hasn't turned up.

If she was to just 'walk away', that vehicle would have to be left somewhere. If she did drive into the river near the big river crossing, I'd assume it's down river.

3. Help-find

So what’s your take on the recent interest and conversion to Catholicism?

4. Help-find

Does MC homeschool her children...the ones old enough to attend? I wouldn’t imagine so if she was looking into taking on a teaching position herself. Which you had previously mentioned - the family doesn’t necessarily believe in women working outside of the home (beyond the level of church volunteering roles etc).

Perhaps she needed/wanted a break from the extreme conservative expectations.

5. BayouBelle_LA

BayouBelle_LA Well-Known Member

Case in point, Lauren Moss was found dead in her car in a Wal-Mart parking lot. She had been there for three months.

6. SB205sleuth

SB205sleuth Active Member

7. Help-find

Speaking of, someone - if they haven’t already - should probably search the Walmart in West Memphis. It’s directly off of i-40, in a high traffic area and probably within 10 miles of where her phone was last pinged.

Speaking of her phone, I was hoping we would get some information from that today.

8. Help-find

Glad you’re here @SB205sleuth. I know we all appreciate your insight. I’d imagine this entire situation is quite surreal for you. My sympathies

9. cluciano63

cluciano63 Well-Known Member

Did she have cash?
    I guess she has not used an Atm...

10. Help-find

I see on the find Marilane FB page no new news today except wishing their daughter a happy birthday along with wishing mommy was with her to celebrate. Heartbreaking

11. Help-find

As of last week (at time of the press conference by Overland Park KS PD) she had not used her cards past the last gas fill up in West Memphis just miles away from where her phone was last detected. There’s a good illustration (on here and on the find Marilane fb page) of where all she had been and the purchases she had made during her route until it all suddenly went silent.

12. MemPat

MemPat Without Art the Earth is just Eh!

OM, this is a quite accurate explanation of the position each takes on the other, certainly in the South.
    When we consider that helplessness and hopelessness are the very definition of clinical depression, it wouldn't surprise me to learn Marilane is holed up somewhere but the prospect of her husband harming her or confining her someplace won't leave my mind.

I don't paint preachers with a broad brush because some are good counselors but my mind goes back to a personal experience with clinical depression. Since I was new in town and not connected with anyone who could recommend a therapist I made an appointment with our new preacher. I spilled all my concerns and cried and you know what his advice was? "Go home and get your house really clean and you're going to feel a lot better." The end. Who knew that even suicidal ideation could be cured with polished floors?! (Finally I found a therapist who practiced Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy and was cured!)

I imagine cell phone records and street cameras will tell LE a good bit about the husband's travels. It may be that LE is keeping a lot close to the vest waiting for the husband (or someone else) to slip up.

It's so sad to think about Marilane's three-year-old celebrating without her.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    Bogbean, Laughing, WideOpen and 16 others like this.
  13. Help-find

@MemPat im sorry to hear about that but glad to know you are better. I too have had a bad experience with church counseling.

My take on AC in his video - it made me feel uneasy. That all is good pastor at the pulpit vibe doesn’t work for me when your wife is missing. The larger audience isn’t your congregation here. JMO

Iona, HulaMum, WideOpen and 11 others like this.
  14. MemPat

MemPat Without Art the Earth is just Eh!

Reminds me of Davey Blackburn and how he (before Amanda was cold) launched his Nothing Is Wasted campaign. Having Marilane disappear will work better for her husband's career than if she became a Catholic and left him. MOO

ReaderRabbit, Iona, Laughing and 17 others like this.
  15. killarney rose

killarney rose Well-Known Member

Remember a few years ago, a mega church pastor, Ron Carpenter's wife went missing. There is a thread here. Turns out she was off in a program, I believe it mightve been substance abuse, but that part I'm not remembering.

Laughing, neesaki, sassyblue and 9 others like this.
  16. cluciano63

cluciano63 Well-Known Member

I think her husband has been accounted for from the start and that she has been seen clearly alone out of the area.

kmtfl12, songbrd, Quill and 8 others like this.
  17. Ontario Mom

Ontario Mom stay safe ♥ be kind

I followed the Blackburn case for a while but I don't quite recall that.
    Was the Nothing is Wasted ministry some sort of grief program he put together?

ETA: googled it, so... nevermind :)

18. diggndeeperstill

diggndeeperstill Well-Known Member

I hope that is the case. I hope her “confusion” was completely made up as well.

But, then I rationalize with myself and say there is an element of mental illness that thinks hiding is necessary.

I’ve heard many people here over the year or so I’ve been here remind me of Occam’s razor. It’s just in this case I don’t know what the most simplistic answer is.

19. diggndeeperstill

diggndeeperstill Well-Known Member

UPDATE 8:45PM CST August 17, 2020

Search efforts are continuing around the region thanks to the many volunteers posting and searching. We've are getting word of people in NY, TX, IL, CO, and many other states who are posting flyers and looking all over for Marilane.

So far, sonar data reviews are not showing any signs of Marilane or her vehicle in the MS River. However, it's important to know that sonar reviews are not yet completed, and additional sonar teams are expected to arrive in the area soon to conduct more imaging and searching before we are able to rule out the possibility.

Law enforcement is reviewing tower data dumps and investigating any new leads. Please call local law enforcement if you have any info, leads, or tips.

We've been in touch with a connection that can coordinate crop dusters to fly aerial searches in the area as well. This is helpful as we look to receive more accurate phone ping location information from law enforcement investigators.

Marilane fueled up with $33.32 of fuel at the Shell Station on Petro Road in West Memphis, AR, on Sunday, August 2, 2020, at approximately 4:57PM CST. Based on the fuel capacity and range of her 2011 GMC Acadia, she could possibly have traveled nearly 400 miles without refueling.

Please review the attached map showing the 400-mile radius from her last fuel stop. Please look for Marilane and her vehicle. Marilane could be anywhere.

Marilane Carter - 36 years old / white female / 5' 8"/ 130 lbs / brown hair / green eyes / last seen red shirt and dark pants with a ballcap

Vehicle: 2011 GMC Acadia (dark gray / charcoal) with Kansas tag - 194 LFY.

Pray. Share. Hope. Look. #FindMarilane ❤️
    upload_2020-8-17_21-16-18.jpeg

Find Marilane

20. EllaMae

EllaMae Well-Known Member

Well....I am from the South(Alabama), have lived in the South my entire life ( in 4 different Southern states), and that's really not true in most areas down here. It may have been true 40-50 years ago, and maybe still is in evangelical sects, but most Southern Baptists just don't care that much, especially those under 50. I know lots of Catholics ( my SIL for one, my nieces and nephews also) who married Baptists, Methodists, Jews and even a few Hindus mixed in. It just isn't an issue with most people.

AnnaGrace, mlhenn, Quill and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.