Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about monestaries? If she converted to Catholicism, could she have decided to become a nun? Those places may not have internet or realize that people are looking for her. Here is one in Memphis. Could we pull up others and get people in the areas to check the parking lots for her vehicle?
Poor Clare Sisters
Edited: I sent the Memphis location a flyer.

I think we should be leaning more towards she did convert based on all the evidence.

The YouTube account follows a priest who interestingly talks about his calling in one of the 7 videos he has uploaded. He only has 12 subscribers and Marilane is one. We’ve already figured out the user name is her deceased fiancées birthday.

Sometimes intellectuals do change religion. We know she had her masters in divinity.

The key question for me will be did her husband know.

I hope she has been taken in by a catholic related safe house for lack of a better word.

Here is the YouTube and screenshot of who she subscribed to. I also find interesting she subscribed to Alanis Morisette who had her own public battle with mental illness.
https://www.youtube.com/user/trc32483
Alanis Morisette's "India" comes to mind, and Sister Theresa.

What about monestaries? If she converted to Catholicism, could she have decided to become a nun? Those places may not have internet or realize that people are looking for her. Here is one in Memphis. Could we pull up others and get people in the areas to check the parking lots for her vehicle?
Poor Clare Sisters

If she’s married with small children she can’t become a nun. The process is rigorous and a woman has to be unmarried, no minor children, no outstanding debts, no “worldly obligations,” and can’t just join to be running from something. She’d fail the screening process.

Poor Clare Sisters
I understand the Memphis Poor Clare Sisters are shutting down for good. The sisters are all relocating to other monasteries.

if she was so anxious to get to alabama that she booked a flight one day before departure, then why was so much time spent travelling by car? why all the stops and missing hours, when she could have gotten there much quicker if she'd waited and flew?

it had to have been something that made her feel the need to leave her home immediately, as well as eat the cost of the plane ticket. (it's usually not cheap when you buy a last-minute ticket).

the distance from her house to the hotel where she was seen on camera took about the right amount of travelling time. (6 hours to the first gas station (about 272 miles as the crow flies), then 1 more hour to the hotel ( about 60 miles as the crow flies), so 7ish hours from her home to the quality inn.

but then she leaves the hotel at 6 am, and it takes her 8 HOURS to drive 150 miles to the next sighting, the gas station in Hazen. (should have only taken about 2.5 hours max). there are 6 hours of missing time between the quality inn and hazen.

THEN she leaves hazen gas station and drives to another shell gas station which is approximately 96 miles, but it took her 3 hours, when it should have only taken about an hour an half.

that's 9 hours of missing time.

moo, there was something going on in that section of her trip.

i would still like to know: when did adam drive down that way to jackson, ms. to ask around at mental health facilities for her? was that before or after he reported her missing?

Last edited:
if she was so anxious to get to alabama that she booked a flight one day before departure, then why was so much time spent travelling by car? why all the stops and missing hours, when she could have gotten there much quicker if she'd waited and flew?

...but then she leaves the hotel at 6 am, and it takes her 8 HOURS to drive 150 miles to the next sighting, the gas station in Hazen. (should have only taken about 2.5 hours max). there are 6 hours of missing time between the quality inn and hazen.

THEN she leaves hazen gas station and drives to another shell gas station which is approximately 96 miles, but it took her 3 hours, when it should have only taken about an hour an half.

moo, there was something going on in that section of her trip.

Is it possible she stopped at a church to pray/meditate and/or perhaps talk to someone who is helping her hide now? Maybe her car is locked in this helper's garage.

She was a hospital chaplain at one point, right? Maybe she visited a hospital chapel? Anyone can access those anonymously.

Or maybe she just pulled over to sleep in her car, too tired to drive safely anymore.

(edited to correct mistakes)

Is it possible she stopped at a church to pray/meditate and/or perhaps talk to someone who is helping her hide now? Maybe her car is locked in this helper's garage.

She was a hospital chaplain at one point, right? Maybe she visited a hospital chapel? Anyone can access those anonymously.

Or maybe she just pulled over to sleep in her car, too tired to drive safely anymore.

(edited to correct mistakes)

it's definitely possible for both of those things to have happened. but she stopped for numerous hours on 2 different legs of her trip. she had just left the hotel for the 3 hour stop, where surely she would have slept, if that's why she stopped there. why would she have checked out at all if she was still sleepy? and one or 2 hours wouldn't be that strange, but 9 hours missing? surely you would not sleep that hard on the side of the road if you pulled over. right? maybe a couple of hours, but it's not very comfortable to sleep in your car.

also: IF suicide is being questioned, why would she have filled up her car only to run it in to the mississippi 10 minutes later? that makes no sense.

i think the answer is in those missing hours of time. something was happening.

moo.

...she leaves the hotel at 6 am, and it takes her 8 HOURS to drive 150 miles to the next sighting, the gas station in Hazen. (should have only taken about 2.5 hours max). there are 6 hours of missing time between the quality inn and hazen.

I have the nagging feeling that after she left the hotel at 6:05am, she drove to St. Michael's Church in West Memphis (170 mi, about 3 hr drive with no stops) to attend the 10:30am Sunday service. Before the service she confides in a priest or someone else connected to the church (maybe someone linked to that priest she follows on YouTube who seems to be based in London), then the service ends around 12:15pm. She leaves ~12:30pm and drives the 90 miles to Hazen, placing her there around 2pm -- 8 hours after departing the hotel.

I think she was trying to decide what to do. Whatever she had planned to do in the direction of Hazen, she changed her mind and decided to head BACK to West Memphis. So after pacing around, maybe getting something to eat somewhere (paying cash), feeling very hazy and sleep-deprived & indecisive, she decides to return to West Memphis around 3:30, arriving at the gas station at 5pm. When she gets there, she makes the decision to ditch her phone and go into hiding with the assistance of someone from that church.

I think in the months leading up to her disappearance, some people close to her convinced her that her desire to convert from Baptist to Catholic was a symptom of mental illness and that a conversion was a very BAD thing. She was already depressed and struggling with that decision, and paired with insomnia that was going on for who knows how long, she was in a very fragile, vulnerable state of mind. She started to wonder if she really was crazy and needed help, so she told her husband she was going to go seek mental health help and stay with family for a while. But instead she made that trip to see someone at St Michael's church and she began to feel more confident in her decision to convert. This confidence led her to return there a second time and whatever happened during that 2nd visit convinced her to go off the grid while she figures out what to do.

What do others think? Is this just all crazy speculation? The timing lines up pretty well. Only problem is I don't know what took her toward Hazen.

Last edited:
UPDATE 4:30PM CST August 15, 2020

Volunteers are distributing and posting flyers not only in the West Memphis/Memphis areas, but nationwide. THANK YOU to all who are stepping in and making this happen.

MS River search: Sonar data from the volunteer boaters is still in review process. Daphne Search and Rescue was unable to launch as planned. Thankfully, Team Watters Sonar Search and Recovery is preparing to launch a secondary sweep of the areas within and downstream of the last cell ping. We have some amazing volunteers handling this.

BIG news on cell phone triangulation / data: It appears law enforcement in Arkansas were able to obtain an exigent circumstances search warrant for Marilane's cell phone - to include tower data dumps and content. This data should help law enforcement forensic cell phone experts better determine where Marilane's phone is. Please pray this results in a breakthrough to find her.

Expansion of search area: we are asking everyone across not only the region and the areas she stopped (Rolla, MO; West Plains, MO; Hazen, AR; and West Memphis, AR), but NATIONWIDE to BOLO for Marilane and her car.

Here is a map that shows locations based on Marilane's credit card purchases (note: it does not account for missing time in the timeline).

She could be anywhere. 2011 GMC Acadia (dark gray / charcoal) with Kansas tag 194 LFY. No stickers or distinctive markings. Marilane was last seen wearing a red shirt and dark pants with a hat.

Marilane was traveling to Birmingham, AL to seek mental health help and last seen in West Memphis, AR, on Sunday, August 2, 2020, at approx 5PM at the Shell Station at 3900 Petro Road.

God bless all of you working to help us find Marilane.

Pray. Share. Hope. Look. #FindMarilane ❤️
Find Marilane
View attachment 260047

What kind of gas mileage does her car get that she had to stop that many times in a seemingly smallish distance??? I mean- my car gets about 30MPG so i can make it a solid 6-7 hours before i even hit near empty.

What kind of gas mileage does her car get that she had to stop that many times in a seemingly smallish distance??? I mean- my car gets about 30MPG so i can make it a solid 6-7 hours before i even hit near empty.

This fits in nicely with my hypothesis above that she was driving quite a bit more than assumed, thus requiring more trips to gas stations.

This fits in nicely with my hypothesis above that she was driving quite a bit more than assumed, thus requiring more trips to gas stations.

Okay- I did some research. The 2011 GMC Arcadia gets 17/24 Across the board (All models) For a whopping 19MPG combined. She HAD to have been driving more than it seems, Otherwise I cant understand so many stops, Unless i'm not the norm with letting my car get close to E before a refill (Esp. On road trips and long drives) I mean- It isnt incredible gas mileage but I think thats relatively standard? in my mind its pretty standard IMO.

Okay- I did some research. The 2011 GMC Arcadia gets 17/24 Across the board (All models) For a whopping 19MPG combined. She HAD to have been driving more than it seems, Otherwise I cant understand so many stops, Unless i'm not the norm with letting my car get close to E before a refill (Esp. On road trips and long drives) I mean- It isnt incredible gas mileage but I think thats relatively standard? in my mind its pretty standard IMO.

Yes, they should be able to extrapolate approximately how many miles she drove based on how much gas she purchased. But the cell phone records that apparently have been released to LE might provide that information too.

ETA, fuel tank capacity for her car is 22 gallons. So assuming she's doing mostly highway driving let's bump her up to 20 mpg average -- that's 440 miles on a full tank.

Last edited:
Long shot but, the out of the way roads she took to get to West Memphis, AR...wonder if any homes might have cameras that caught her passing by for a better timeline and the missing hours.

Also, there are quirky little service roads (running beside the main roads) that can get you turned around in AR also. I’ve driven and been in a passenger form Memphis to Arkansas many times and I can still get lost coming back where 240 takes you to Little Rock, AR or Memphis, TN.

If she was sleep deprived or mentally going through something, I can see her getting lost and confused even more.

What path could she have taken from West Memphis if the not the road to Memphis? Hope they take a good close look at outside the box directions wise. No doubt she’d already been lost before West Memphis.

Home camera checking and foot searches in other less likely directions might be a good place to look also.

Where is Marilane?

MOO

Last edited:
Doesn’t gas burn off faster if the engine Is just running? Maybe she stopped several times to try to rest and had the car running and sitting in a parking lot? I feel like I’m grasping at straws here.

Long shot but, the out of the way roads she took to get to West Memphis, AR...wonder if any homes might have cameras that caught her passing by for a better timeline and the missing hours.

Also, there are quirky little service roads (running beside the main roads) that can get you turned around in AR also. I’ve driven and been in a passenger form Memphis to Arkansas many times and I can still get lost coming back where 240 takes you to Little Rock, AR or Memphis, TN.

If she was sleep deprived or mentally going through something, I can see her getting lost and confused even more.

What path could she have taken from West Memphis if the not the road to Memphis? Hope they take a good close look at outside the box directions wise. No doubt she’d already been lost before West Memphis.

Home camera checking and foot searches in other less likely directions might be a good place to look also.

Where is Marilane?

MOO
I find the interstates in cities like this very confusing if it’s not somewhere I drive frequently. If one accidentally takes the wrong exit, they can go miles and miles before realizing it’s the wrong way.
If something like this happened, maybe due to her sleep deprivation, she became so disoriented and confused she didn’t know where she was. Could have ended up anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff