Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant, if she had already converted to one faith, she would feel she was betraying her own convictions if she attended a service of her former faith.
I know families comprised of one parent Catholic and the other of different faith. Some of those families attend church services of both faiths.
In my Catholic family, my high school aged son had a girlfriend who attended a nondenominational church. My son enjoyed attending church with her, however; our rule was that he had to attend mass with us before he attended church service with the girlfriend.

I know families comprised of one parent Catholic and the other of different faith. Some of those families attend church services of both faiths.
In my Catholic family, my high school aged son had a girlfriend who attended a nondenominational church. My son enjoyed attending church with her, however; our rule was that he had to attend mass with us before he attended church service with the girlfriend.

That's interesting, for sure.
I don't know any Baptists that would attend mass in a RC church, but I assume they exist.

What may be difficult for some to understand is, many of the RC faith, and many of the Baptist faith, essentially see the other "side" as adhering to an entirely false gospel, and that means a false religion and not genuine Biblical Christianity at all.

For both sides, that's massive.

I know that might sound outrageous to some but I assure you, many Baptists and many RC will agree 1,000%.
What I do not know, is if MC's Baptist church was of this position (and by default, her very own husband and his Biblical/doctrinal convictions), or the church she allegedly converted to, was of this position.

For the household of Christian faith, this is not a small thing - this is the main thing.

Just trying to explain to those not familiar. I do hope this helps.

So true. I was raised in non denominational churches and went to private schools through 9th grade. Due to my upbringing, it was no big deal when my parents decided to send me to a catholic school for 7-9 grades. (The decision was made from an academic standpoint.) I went to a Baptist college and no one there batted an eye about my 3 years of catholic schooling. However, I married Into a southern baptist family, and they were flabbergasted at my parents’ decision to send me to catholic school.

This is the quietest thread, it's been weeks and we are just at 655 posts. The lack of news is scary to me.
Unfortunately the story has all the hallmarks of a story the media would usually jump on sensationalize yet so quiet. I agree @killarney rose yet at the same time if I was the family I would choose any exposure rather than none. At this point I feel like the entire country needs to keep an eye out so we can locate her.

MOO MOO

I cannot shake the feeling that some type of addiction is at play here.

Having an airplane ticket booked and at the last minute deciding to "drive instead" really raises my hinky meter. I'm not sure she decided to drive instead. I think she may have just said...I'm not going and headed out. This then would explain why her husband reported her missing at 3:00 am in the morning when she didn't come back. It would also explain why she didn't go to Birmingham (as far as we know). She wasn't about to go and get help. If she wanted help for whatever her issues were - she'd be there.

If Marilane was headed to rehab, a cover story that she was going to be with her sister for the birth of her baby would definitely be above question. There are several rehabs in Birmingham.

The whole converting to Catholicism is a bit of wrench in the works. That's a really big decision especially when one is married to a Baptist Pastor. Yikes. How do you explain that? Did he know? What precipitated that decision?

Mental illness and addiction go hand in hand.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I would not be surprised at all to find out that Marilane is on a bit of a bender - holed up in some motel or even living in shelters right now.

I also don't think we have the entire story.

I hope and pray that Marilane gets the help she needs (in whatever form that takes) and reunites with family and friends. Her children need her.

MOO

I do think she was unhappy or maybe even merely overwhelmed by the stressors of life - mom of 3, pastors wife. She was looking for answers elsewhere than her own faith for some perspective. Given she was a mDiv graduate this makes even more sense. Although firmly rooted in the SBC she is obviously an intellectual thinker as well.

With that being said, I think she initially left to get help. Try to figure out despite “having it all” she was still seeking purpose in life. We have been told her family wouldn’t be supportive of divorce, under any conditions. Once she left (and/or leading up) she realized the gravity of what this meant to her family and her husbands career. I can easily see her completely panicked traveling realizing she made a choice. A choice her family/sisters would have never made.

Along the way someone saw she was vulnerable. Very possibly around the w memphis area. It’s not safe. Sadly, there are individuals who would recognize she was an easy target.

I hope I’m wrong. MOO

MOO MOO

I cannot shake the feeling that some type of addiction is at play here.

Having an airplane ticket booked and at the last minute deciding to "drive instead" really raises my hinky meter. I'm not sure she decided to drive instead. I think she may have just said...I'm not going and headed out. This then would explain why her husband reported her missing at 3:00 am in the morning when she didn't come back. It would also explain why she didn't go to Birmingham (as far as we know). She wasn't about to go and get help. If she wanted help for whatever her issues were - she'd be there.

If Marilane was headed to rehab, a cover story that she was going to be with her sister for the birth of her baby would definitely be above question. There are several rehabs in Birmingham.

The whole converting to Catholicism is a bit of wrench in the works. That's a really big decision especially when one is married to a Baptist Pastor. Yikes. How do you explain that? Did he know? What precipitated that decision?

Mental illness and addiction go hand in hand.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I would not be surprised at all to find out that Marilane is on a bit of a bender - holed up in some motel or even living in shelters right now.

I also don't think we have the entire story.

I hope and pray that Marilane gets the help she needs (in whatever form that takes) and reunites with family and friends. Her children need her.

MOO
Considering the airline ticket was purchased just hours before she decided to drive, I would consider the ticket a spur of the moment thing.

I don’t think she has an addiction or is being hidden by the Catholic Church or anyone in it. I’m also less inclined to believe she was car-jacked or met with foul play.

Almost everything IMO points to her being in a fragile state. She speaks to her husband and the phone call drops/goes dead. I imagine the husband calling her mother and that precipitated the call from her mother 15 minutes later, in which the phone coincidentally goes dead. I think she turns the phone off at this point.

All speculation and JMO.

I hope I didn’t overlook this already, but does anyone know why it took so much longer than it should have to drive the two segments (before and after her hotel stay)? That’s what’s really odd to me. There is no way I believe this 36 yo woman drove 20 mph in the right lane to West Memphis...?

Well, this is an enlightening topic right now. I am wondering how many here know more than one or two people of the Baptist faith? I am one. My uncle married a Catholic girl and my cousin is a practicing Catholic. Her confirmation was attended by our Baptist family. My brother-in-law married a Catholic girl, they are now divorced but I was at their Catholic wedding. One of my kids has a best friend who is a devout Catholic and has attended mass with her. They enjoy teaching each other about their faith. Another kid of mine is dating a guy who is Catholic. We have other family members who are Catholic and a couple of Jewish family members also. Just thought it might be interesting to you. I think many people have a misunderstanding of Baptists in general, but especially Southern Baptists. The last time it came up on a thread here some were really confusing Southern Baptists with a much more strict and severe Pentecostal type group, FWIW. Not looking to debate, only to provide a perspective.

Just a side note, today is back -to-school day here and one of my friends had picture of her pre-schooler on social media with her new teacher's name on there. Her name? Marilane. I had never heard it before this case, but there it is.

Just began looking into Marilanes disappearance and have read many of your posts! Such a mystery, but I am sure LE has much more info than they have shared with the public.
Hopefully with more to work with it can only help them solve this.

After skimming the posts Perhaps the place they should be looking is Millington, TN. Her fiancé lived there and she may know people there. She may have gone to see someone there and stay below the radar. I believe it is only 20 miles north of Memphis.
Seems to me her mental and sleep problems may be due to a problem with her husband and He labels that Mental instability.

Her stop at the hotel , check in 3:37 am and check out at 6:05 was just to shower and change.
Wonder if LE checked for any phone calls made there?
She could not go seek help locally for her concerns , since her husband is the local Pastor and most towns have a rumor mill. her last phone call to family was at 8:02 then nothing.
My belief is she may have just wanted to get away from her life. She filled her car up with Gas in South Haven, Miss. Maybe the help with $10 to $20 dollars worth of gas was cash so nothing would show on credit card. Drove to a spot that was dicey and ended her trail.
Could she have gone back to Millington, TN??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni