KS KS - Mary Lang, 31, Hays, 21 Oct 1983

Discussion in '1980's Missing' started by Gardener1850, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Mary Georgine Lang
    Ellis County, Kansas
    31 year old white female

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]Height (inches)[/TD]
    [TD="class: view_field"]67.0[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Weight (pounds)[/TD]
    [TD="class: view_field"]124.0[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Hair: Brown; Light brown
    Eyes: Blue; Wears contacts, possibly blue tinted.

Clothing and accessories:
    Black turtleneck sweater, tan skirt.

Also was wearing a imitation rabbit fur coat which was located three days later folded up under a box bridge on a rural country road about 10 miles Northwest of Hays. Her vehicle keys were found in the pocket.

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]Vehicle make
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: view_field"]Datsun[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Vehicle model
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: view_field"]280Z[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Year[/TD]
    [TD="class: view_field"]1977[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Style[/TD]
    [TD="class: view_field"]Coupe[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Vehicle color
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: view_field"]Maroon and Gray[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Tag type
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: view_field"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Tag number[/TD]
    [TD="class: view_field"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Tag state
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: view_field"]Kansas[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Expiration year
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: view_field"]1984[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Vehicle comments
    [/TD]
    [TD] Recovered in parking lot where she parks it. Drivers door
    was left ajar and unlocked. Purse and legal papers she was delivering to other attorney's offices in town were in the vehicle on the front seat.
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Mary Lang was last seen in the downtown area of Hays, KS at approx 1:00pm on October 21, 1983. She had just started working as a legal secretary for a local attorney in the city of Hays. Mary was taking papers to other attorneys in town to be signed when she disappeared. Her car was found with the door open approximately 3 inches, and her purse and legal papers were found inside the vehicle. Days later, a search team found her coat along a country road six miles northwest from town with her car keys in the pocket. Her body was never found. Foul play is suspected.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/12862/

2. Gardener1850

[h=3]Details of Disappearance[/h] Lang was last seen in downtown Hays, Kansas at around 1:00 p.m. on October 21, 1983. She was working as a secretary for a local attorney and was running errands for him when she disappeared, taking papers to other attorneys to get their signatures.

At 5:00 p.m., her maroon and gray 1977 Datsun 280Z was found in the 200 block of east 12th Street. The door was slightly ajar and Lang's purse and legal papers were on the front seat. There was no sign of Lang at the scene.

Her coat, with her car keys in the pocket, was found five days later, inside a box under a bridge on a county road about six to ten miles northwest of Hays.

Steven Carl Holdren is a person of interest in Lang's disappearance; a photo of him is posted with this case summary. He was accused of murder, but acquitted at trial in 1977. He was convicted of aggravated kidnapping in 1985 and is still in prison.

Holdren had been in downtown Hays accosting various women the day Lang disappeared. He has never been charged in her case, and investigators aren't sure whether he was involved.

Lang was declared legally dead seven years after her disappearance. Foul play is suspected in her case, which remains unsolved.

http://charleyproject.org/case/mary-georgine-lang

3. Seeker404

Seeker404 Former Member

My cousins still live in Hays and this is a true Ellis county mystery still talked of today 35 years afterwards and rumors still fly.

LastHistorian likes this.
  4. LastHistorian

LastHistorian Member

I searched to see if this case was here and its a testament to the dedication of this site and posters that it 's listed. I was just out of high school in Hays when this occurred. I've heard rumors over the years about what actually happened but its hard to say for sure. I often think this case and the 1976 murder spree committed by Francis Donald Nemechek (One victim, Carla Baker was from my neighborhood, though I didn't know her) are a big part of my life-long interest in missing persons

Gardener1850 likes this.
  5. Gardener1850

Welcome LastHistorian! It's too bad there is not more interest on this thread.

Here is an updated NAMUS link without the redirect message and Mary's photos again: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

LastHistorian likes this.