KS KS - Mary Lang, 31, Hays, 21 Oct 1983

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score

Mary Georgine Lang
Ellis County, Kansas
31 year old white female

Height (inches)67.0
Weight (pounds)124.0

Hair: Brown; Light brown
Eyes: Blue; Wears contacts, possibly blue tinted.

Clothing and accessories:
Black turtleneck sweater, tan skirt.

Also was wearing a imitation rabbit fur coat which was located three days later folded up under a box bridge on a rural country road about 10 miles Northwest of Hays. Her vehicle keys were found in the pocket.

Vehicle make
Datsun
Vehicle model
280Z
Year1977
StyleCoupe
Vehicle color
Maroon and Gray
Tag type
Tag number
Tag state
Kansas
Expiration year
Vehicle comments
Recovered in parking lot where she parks it. Drivers door
was left ajar and unlocked. Purse and legal papers she was delivering to other attorney's offices in town were in the vehicle on the front seat.

Mary Lang was last seen in the downtown area of Hays, KS at approx 1:00pm on October 21, 1983. She had just started working as a legal secretary for a local attorney in the city of Hays. Mary was taking papers to other attorneys in town to be signed when she disappeared. Her car was found with the door open approximately 3 inches, and her purse and legal papers were found inside the vehicle. Days later, a search team found her coat along a country road six miles northwest from town with her car keys in the pocket. Her body was never found. Foul play is suspected.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/12862/

[h=3]Details of Disappearance[/h] Lang was last seen in downtown Hays, Kansas at around 1:00 p.m. on October 21, 1983. She was working as a secretary for a local attorney and was running errands for him when she disappeared, taking papers to other attorneys to get their signatures.

At 5:00 p.m., her maroon and gray 1977 Datsun 280Z was found in the 200 block of east 12th Street. The door was slightly ajar and Lang's purse and legal papers were on the front seat. There was no sign of Lang at the scene.

Her coat, with her car keys in the pocket, was found five days later, inside a box under a bridge on a county road about six to ten miles northwest of Hays.

Steven Carl Holdren is a person of interest in Lang's disappearance; a photo of him is posted with this case summary. He was accused of murder, but acquitted at trial in 1977. He was convicted of aggravated kidnapping in 1985 and is still in prison.

Holdren had been in downtown Hays accosting various women the day Lang disappeared. He has never been charged in her case, and investigators aren't sure whether he was involved.

Lang was declared legally dead seven years after her disappearance. Foul play is suspected in her case, which remains unsolved.

http://charleyproject.org/case/mary-georgine-lang

I searched to see if this case was here and its a testament to the dedication of this site and posters that it 's listed. I was just out of high school in Hays when this occurred. I've heard rumors over the years about what actually happened but its hard to say for sure. I often think this case and the 1976 murder spree committed by Francis Donald Nemechek (One victim, Carla Baker was from my neighborhood, though I didn't know her) are a big part of my life-long interest in missing persons

I searched to see if this case was here and its a testament to the dedication of this site and posters that it 's listed. I was just out of high school in Hays when this occurred. I've heard rumors over the years about what actually happened but its hard to say for sure. I often think this case and the 1976 murder spree committed by Francis Donald Nemechek (One victim, Carla Baker was from my neighborhood, though I didn't know her) are a big part of my life-long interest in missing persons

Welcome LastHistorian! It's too bad there is not more interest on this thread.

Here is an updated NAMUS link without the redirect message and Mary's photos again: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Original
Thumbnail
Thumbnail

So, I'm actually surprised to see this thread...even if no one has posted in a while.
More so, it's the only reason I made an account.
Mary Lang is actually my mother's cousin.
So, this case is actually something I'm quite fascinated about and is close to my heart. Every year, I find the clip about the cold case for her on Youtube and watch it. I'm drawn to it for some reason.

Mary's mother and father passed on a few years back (if I'm not mistaking my grandmother's sisters, I believe they were the ones who passed due to a car wreck--father died at the scene, mother died later because they failed to catch internal bleeding caused by the wreck).

I never met anyone from her family since I was born in 89 and don't live in Kansas, though my mother went to visit all of my grandmother's sisters and their families in Kansas a few years before the passing of Mary's parents.

:( Sadly, it doesn't look like this one will ever be solved. The entire immediate family all had a tragic end and that just makes it all the worse.

I did a deep dive into Mary's case and uncovered some interesting information. Maybe Steven Holdren was released from prison sometime after his life sentence. The attached Obituary is for a man named Steven C Holdren from Jewell, Kansas. Jewell is two hours outside of Hays. One of the deceased man's sons is named Carl. The age seems to match the suspect, but his obituary describes him as a good person, so that's interesting if it is the same man. Even more interesting, the obituary lists this man's cause of death as February 12, 2019.
The second link is an article talking about a man Steven Holdren who died after he left his jeep parked on the train tracks where it was hit by an Amtrak train. Familial DNA first made headlines in April 2018, shortly before Steven Holdren left his jeep on the train tracks. It's very interesting, and I felt like this was important to share for Mary. It does not say if investigators think the man intentionally killed himself in the article either.

Obituary for Steven C. Holdren | Kleppinger Funeral Home

I did a deep dive into Mary's case and uncovered some interesting information. Maybe Steven Holdren was released from prison sometime after his life sentence. The attached Obituary is for a man named Steven C Holdren from Jewell, Kansas. Jewell is two hours outside of Hays. One of the deceased man's sons is named Carl. The age seems to match the suspect, but his obituary describes him as a good person, so that's interesting if it is the same man. Even more interesting, the obituary lists this man's cause of death as February 12, 2019.
The second link is an article talking about a man Steven Holdren who died after he left his jeep parked on the train tracks where it was hit by an Amtrak train. Familial DNA first made headlines in April 2018, shortly before Steven Holdren left his jeep on the train tracks. It's very interesting, and I felt like this was important to share for Mary. It does not say if investigators think the man intentionally killed himself in the article either.

Obituary for Steven C. Holdren | Kleppinger Funeral Home
Interesting. The man in the obituary photo appears (to me) to be the same man on Mary’s CP profile. ETA: yup, definitely same man

Last edited:
I agree that is the same man that was on the train track. I wonder if he was a long haul truck driver, always wonder what other crimes there could be.

I agree that is the same man that was on the train track. I wonder if he was a long haul truck driver, always wonder what other crimes there could be.
Good point. He could have victims elsewhere.

Oh wow! Great work! I can't believe how his obituary describes him too. Thank you so much for continuing to search.

Mary Lang was last seen in downtown Hays, early in the afternoon of Oct. 21, 1983. At the time, she recently started working as a legal secretary for an attorney and was taking papers to be signed, but she was never seen or heard from again.

Her car was found abandoned with its door open, and her purse and legal papers were inside.

According to newspaper reports, investigators searched for Mary for days. Five days after she vanished, on Oct. 26., there was a foot search along the Saline River northwest of Hays. Her car keys were in the jacket pocket. Detectives continued to search four square miles around that area, but nothing turned up. The Kansas Bureau of Investigation also processed Mary's coat for additional evidence, but nothing was found.

"She didn't take off," Mary's mom, Lenora, declared in an interview with Harris News Service nearly two years after Mary was last seen. "But, I would still like to plead with the abductor that even if he wants to remain anonymous, just tell us where her body is, so we can give her a proper burial and close the books on this."

Unfortunately, Lenora and Mary's father, George, never got that answer. Lenora passed away in August 2013. George passed away in June 2021. They share a headstone at a cemetery with Mary, which reads, regarding their daughter, “On October 21, 1983, you were taken out of our lives; never to be seen again. Memories remain until we see your smiling face again.”

Mary was described as friendly and beautiful. Around the time she vanished, “She was also getting threatening, obscene telephone calls,” her mom shared in an news interview published in The Parsons Sun on Oct. 21, 1985. “She was scared. Somebody must have had something against her.”
Mary was 31 at the time she disappeared. If alive, she would be in her early 70's, though she was legally declared dead in 1990.
Foul play is suspected, according to the National Institute of Justice's National Missing and Unidentified Persons System.

MARY GEORGINE LANG
Missing from: Hays, Kan.
Missing since: Oct. 21, 1983
Age when missing: 31
Height: 5’7’’
Weight: 125 pounds
Hair: Light-grown hair
Eyes: Blue

Last Updated on July 2, 2023
Mary Lang
Photo credit: Wichita Eagle via Newspapers.com

HAYS, Kan. — Mary Lang was born on Sept. 23, 1952, to George and Lenora Lang and named after her grandmother. She has a brother, Paul, and two sisters, Kathleen Goeken of Shorewood, Illinois, and Barbara Jean Randa, now deceased.

Lang was a beautiful, energetic, and happy woman but believed she would die young. According to a Nov. 13, 1984 article from The Wichita Eagle-Beacon, Lang kept a journal and wrote on March 20, 1973:

“I had a really quacky dream. Dreamt I was in a grocery store and someone wanted to kill me.”

Another entry dated Sept. 24, 1978, more than five years after the first entry and following a car accident that hospitalized her for three days, stated:

“I was afraid to drive for a while but finally decided if I was going to die my number was up and there was no way I could get out of it. When God wants me he’ll get me. I’m sure. I have a strange feeling I’m going to die young, but then I really don’t want to live to be old.”

Later that year, Lang’s boyfriend, William Paul Jernigan, 24, died of asphyxiation near Stafford when blowing snow drifted over his car during a blizzard. The two had met at college.

Lang received her bachelor’s degree in social work from Fort Hays State University and was a credit hour away from receiving her master’s degree in counseling.
She moved to Dallas in 1980 to find work in her selected field. To support herself, Lang worked as a cocktail waitress at night and spent her days interviewing for jobs related to her college degree. After four months, she decided city life was not for her and returned to Hays, where she moved into an apartment with a couple of friends.

In Hays, Lang found local work as a cocktail waitress and a summer intern job with the state employment service.
Unfortunately, her friends eventually graduated from college and married, leaving Lang as the apartment’s sole tenant. Soon after, she began receiving obscene and harassing phone calls from an anonymous caller. She moved home with her parents in rural Hays and started working for Tom Boone, a local attorney who knew the Lang family.

Three weeks later, Lang vanished.

On Friday, Oct. 21, 1983, Lang, 31, left her office at the First National Bank Building (now the Chester Building) around 1 p.m. to have papers signed by another lawyer in the same building. She was supposed to take the documents to two other attorneys in Hays to obtain their signatures and then return to work.

When she had not returned by 2 p.m., Boone called the other attorneys and learned that she never arrived.

Boone found Lang’s red 1977 280-Z Datsun parked about a half-block away from the bank building in a city parking lot. The driver’s door was slightly ajar, the legal papers were lying neatly on the passenger seat, and her purse was sitting on the floorboard of the passenger side.

A 1983 newspapers article states Boone called the Hays Police Department at 5:32 p.m. When officers arrived at the parking lot, they found no signs of a struggle or disturbance in or around the vehicle, and nothing was taken from Lang’s purse.

Boone said Lang was a good employee and she would not have walked off the job. Her parents said the same thing, and nobody believed she ran away to start a new life elsewhere.

The following Wednesday, Oct. 26, Lang’s coat was found lying in a ditch beside a county road near Yocemento, seven miles north of Hays. Her car keys were inside one of the pockets. The discovery prompted law enforcement officials to focus their search in northwest Ellis County.
The massive search spanned more than 260 square miles of Ellis County by the first of November. The police spent almost 1,000 hours on the investigation. However, they found no clues to Lang’s whereabouts and called off the search.

Later that month, police filmed a reenactment of the disappearance and sent videotapes to at least eight television stations. While investigators received several phone calls afterward, no substantial leads resulted from the broadcast.

Investigators interviewed about 200 people and followed up on all leads they received, including out-of-state ones, but nothing led them to find Lang. They had very little physical evidence to work with, and even though Lang disappeared in broad daylight during a busy time in Hays, no one had witnessed an abduction. Several people in the area saw Lang approach her car around 1 p.m., but there were no further sightings of her.

On Sept. 21, 1987, skeletal remains were found under a hedge tree four miles west of Lincolnville in Marion County, about 155 miles southeast of Hays.

Investigators in the Lang case thought the body might be Lang. Marion County officials took the remains to Kansas State University, where anthropologist Michael Finnegan identified the body as a white female.

Officials initially determined the victim to be between 22 and 26, but Finnegan said she could have been as old as 30. Regardless, Lang was 5 feet, 7 inches tall, and the victim was shorter.

Police used Lang’s dental records for comparison, but they did not match.

It would take 32 years and advances in DNA technology before Kansas authorities identified the female. The Wichita Eagle reported in December 2019 that the Kansas Bureau of Investigation identified the victim as twenty-two-year-old Michelle E. Carnall-Burton of Wichita. According to the Eagle, Carnall-Burton had left her home in Cherryvale in 1986 and lost contact with her family. Investigators believe she was murdered in June or July 1987.

Mary Lang has never been found. Her family had her legally declared dead in 1990, seven years after her disappearance.

Steven Carl Holdren is a person of interest in Lang’s disappearance. He was from the Hays area and was previously charged with killing 21-year-old Sharon K. Leeding of Bellevue on Aug. 31, 1977. Leeding had been shot in the head and face but died from strangulation. A jury found Holdren not guilty on Jan. 25, 1979.
Mary Lang: picture of suspect Steven Carl HoldrenThe Charley Project

Plainville police had charged Holdren with making an obscene phone call, which led to his arrest in 1978. According to The Bellevue Telescope, “After two trials and being jailed for six months, a second Cloud County jury determinged there was insucfficient evidence and he was set free.” However, Holdren did plead guilty to the obscene phone call charge and was placed on probation. He pled no contest to an indecent exposure charge in July 1981.

On July 3, 1984, Fort Hays State University student Jacalyn Ann Peters, 30, had checked her mail outside her first-floor apartment in Hays. Shortly after, Holdren forced his way into her apartment and told Peters, “All right, this is a stickup. This is a real gun. It’s loaded with real bullets. I don’t want to have to hurt anybody,” The Telescope reported.

However, he struck Peters several times in the head with a .25-caliber automatic pistol before shooting her in the upper right chest. Neighbors heard the woman’s screams and called the police at 2:30 p.m.

About 10 armed police officers surrounded the building, guarding all exits and evacuating other residents in the apartment building. More officers arrived as a backup to those already on the scene.

Holdren surrendered at 3 p.m. Paramedics transported Peters to Hadley Regional Medical Center 10 minutes later. She survived and was released from the intensive care unit within a few days.

Police charged Holdren with six counts: aggravated kidnapping, attempted felony murder, attempted aggravated robbery, aggravated assault, aggravated battery, and aggravated burglary.

In February 1985, Holdren pleaded guilty to aggravated kidnapping in return for dismissing the other five charges. The following month, he was convicted of aggravated kidnapping and sentenced to life imprisonment. He died on Feb. 12, 2019, at age 67.

On the day Lang vanished, Holdren was in downtown Hays accosting several women. He was never charged in Lang’s disappearance, and investigators are unsure of his involvement.

Lang’s parents are now deceased. Kathleen married in 1996, and she and her husband reside in Shorewood, Illinois. They have two children.

If you have information regarding Mary Lang’s disappearance, you should contact the Ellis County Sheriff’s Office at (785) 625-1040.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back