GUILTY KS - Olivia Jansen, 3, found deceased, Kansas City, 10 July 2020 *arrests*

I think it is evident from reading the article that her grandparents recounted this story as an example of Olivia not wanting to go home, versus a whiny child who was having more fun with them. I'm sure they knew or suspected the dismal home life she was returning to.

It seems that they took her situation seriously and reported complaints to CPS. The file from CPS will verify if and when they made complaints. Apparently the grandparents were cut off from seeing Olivia in March, which is a common reprisal for abusers who resent family interference.

It is too early to cast blame on Olivia's extended family for not trying to help her. jmo
I am not casting any blame on the family at all - I'm simply wondering if this should happen - how far does one go? In this particular situation I found this MSM article about what was done to attempt to intervene for little Olivia:
Grandmother says police were called weeks ago to check on Olivia Jansen

snipped
Updated: 6:51 PM CDT Jul 13, 2020
Bianca Beltrán
KMBC 9 News Reporter

Privacy Notice

Show Transcript

KANSAS CITY, Kan. —
Olivia Jansen's grandmother said there were failed efforts to intervene on the 3-year-old's behalf before she was killed.

Elisabeth Jansen said she was scared to reach out to the Kansas Department of Children and Families because she was unsure of what the outcome might be. She hoped Olivia would be placed in her care.

All around Jansen's home, there are signs of the little girl missing from their lives.

"Everything is her. We fed the birds together. We watered the birdbaths together," she said. "All that's gone. I want it back," Jansen said.

Jansen said her stepson kept her granddaughter, Olivia, away since March.

In June, Jansen said she called 911, asking police to check on them after seeing Howard Jansen's girlfriend share a concerning Facebook post.

"They said they went up there. They knocked on the door, and there was no answer. So that's all they could do. So I have to call DCF. And I'm crying to him, 'That's all?'" Jansen said.

She said a call to DCF did not bring any comfort.

"Two days later, we get that email saying that they were going to put an investigator on it and I could send more information, but otherwise, I wouldn't be contacted," Jansen said.

Less than three weeks later, Olivia was found dead.

Now she is warning others to speak up if they suspect a child is in danger.

"Even if you are treated the way we were, just say something," Jansen said.

-----
KMBC reached out to both the Kansas City, Kansas, Police Department and DCF for more information about the family's requests for help and any challenges they may have faced in the process.

Because of the ongoing investigation, KMBC is waiting for a response to an open-records request.

DCF provided a statement saying it is working alongside law enforcement to provide information specific to the case.

Murder charges filed against father, girlfriend in death of 3-year-old Olivia Jansen
Family of Olivia Jansen reacts to charges, wants harsh penalties
------
BBM - so at first she was scared to contact CPS but then followed through and it would seem IMO she wasn't taken seriously because why wouldn't the child be removed? Did anyone visit the home in the meantime - and you are right, the CPS file will show what steps, if any were taken.
JMO

Olivia’s grandmother, Elisabeth Jansen, told KSHB 41 that they last saw the child in March. Olivia reportedly didn’t want to go home and wanted her grandparents’ assurance that she could come back to see them.

“She was always so unhappy to go home. She would frown and say, ‘You love me? You’re not mad at me? I come back? I come back?’ [sic] and I told her, ‘I will hurt anybody who that keeps you away from me.'”

Elisabeth added that although they contacted DCF, no one removed Olivia from her father’s care. “They wouldn’t do anything other than knock at the door–and so I was on the phone with them June 22 for 23 minutes telling them everything I could think of to tell them, and then they sent me an email on Thursday that I can send them more stuff but for me to know they wouldn’t be contacting me.”

Olivia Jansen: Grandparents say little girl pleaded with them before her death, didn’t want to go home

This is absolutely heartbreaking. I have followed cases for a very long time but reading this hits differently for me. This is the first time in a long time that I've broken down after reading about a case. This world is beyond cruel. There are SO many people out there who want children but don't have them for various reasons...yet these types of people procreate. I would have taken that little girl in a heartbeat. 3 years old. She should have been thinking about cartoons and teddy bears and ice cream instead of worrying about going back to an unstable home and not seeing her loving grandparents again. Sickening.

KANSAS CITY, Kan. — One week after Olivia Jansen was found dead in a wooded area off 34th and Steele Road, the child was laid to rest, surrounded by hundreds of people who will never forget her.

Olivia’s father, Howard Jansen III and his girlfriend, Jacqulyn Kirkpatrick, have been charged with her murder, but Friday was not about them, it was all about Olivia.

“Jesus we come to you with broken hearts,” said the pastor leading the funeral.

He was speaking to hundreds of people who gathered at The Maple Hill Funeral Home and Cemetery to say goodbye to the 3-year-old girl whose life was stolen almost before it began.

SBM
Olivia’s mother, who is in prison in Topeka for an unrelated crime, was able to attend her daughter’s funeral.

Brightly dressed in her favorite color yellow, mourners grieve loss of 3-year-old Olivia Jansen | FOX 4 Kansas City WDAF-TV | News, Weather, Sports

:(

KANSAS CITY, Kan. — Family and friends are working to raise funds for three memorial benches in honor of Olivia Jansen.

Supporters held a taco dinner benefit drive on July 25 in the parking lot of Coach Lite club, near the area where the 3-year old’s body was found.

Sbm
One of the benches will be located at Matney Park, another at Olivia’s memorial site on Steele Road and the third at her grandfather’s shop.

Local motorcycle groups are also showing their support. A special ride raising awareness of child abuse was held last Saturday.

More than 300 bikers participated, and close to 1,600 dollars was raised.

Community raising money for memorial benches honoring 3-year-old Olivia Jansen | FOX 4 Kansas City WDAF-TV | News, Weather, Sports

They found Olivia’s body in a shallow grave covered by sticks and dirt that Friday evening. Court papers say she was badly injured and it would have been apparent to anyone that saw her that she suffered great physical abuse. Her face, arms and legs were all covered in bruises.

She also had a small cut on the back of her head, and an autopsy revealed significant bleeding on the back of her brain, which caused her death.

The affidavit is heavily redacted and doesn’t reveal any interviews between Jansen III, Kirkpatrick and detectives. Both are still in the Wyandotte County Jail, held on $500,000 bonds, and due back in court on July 28.

Court papers: Olivia Jansen had bruising all over body when she was found in Kansas City, Kansas | FOX 4 Kansas City WDAF-TV | News, Weather, Sports

This came from the bottom of the article.

BELLE PLAINE, Kan. (AP) — Kansas' child welfare agency balked at releasing records about a 3-year-old girl whose battered body was found this month, despite a 2018 law that aimed to make such documents more transparent.

That law says Kansas Department for Children and Families' documents are public records in the event child abuse or neglect results in a child fatality or near fatality. However, the agency declined to release to The Associated Press records pertaining to Olivia Ann Jansen, saying it is still investigating whether Olivia's death was a result of abuse or neglect. Prosecutors have charged Olivia's father and his girlfriend with murder.

“Much to my dismay DCF continues to handle protective services as a confidential undertaking and it shouldn't be," said state Rep. John Carmichael, a Wichita Democrat. “The safety of our children is something all Kansans are entitled to know details and, if there has been malfeasance on the DCF, people need to know that.”

Olivia's remains were found in a shallow grave on July 10, after her father, Howard Jansen III, 29, reported the Kansas City, Kansas, girl missing. According to a probable cause affidavit, Olivia's body was covered with bruises and she died of a brain bleed.

The girl's grandparents said they had raised concerns about her safety with child protective services. The AP filed a request with the Department of Children and Families on July 13 seeking copies of any records concerning reports of alleged abuse or neglect about the girl.
Kansas agency balks at releasing records for slain child.

KANSAS CITY, KS (KCTV) - For two weeks now, KCTV5 News has been pushing to get answers about calls to children’s services about a 3-year-old girl who was murdered. Tuesday, we got some.

The memorial 300 feet from where detectives found Olivia Jansen buried in a shallow grave is massive. People who never met her are leaving signs, stuffed animals and posters.

When KCTV5 News pushed the Department of Children and Families, or DCF, about why they’ve haven’t yet released records related to Olivia, they spoke about evidence holding things up, saying they got the evidence, “very recently.”

KCTV5 News learned Tuesday, “very recently” was two weeks ago.
KCTV5 News pushes for answers from DCF in Olivia Jansen case

BELLE PLAINE, Kan. — Kansas Department for Children and Families (DCF) has released a summary of their public records of cases involving 3-year-old Olivia Jansen after concluding that her death was in fact a result of child abuse.

The information release comes on the heels of protests and public outcry over the records, which the agency initially declined to release, despite police reports and an autopsy result.

The summary indicate three separate reports from two days almost four months apart.

The first two reports both came on Feb. 28, 2020. One report alleged “dad,” Howard Jansen III, hit Olivia on the leg leaving a bruise, and there was indication that her leg might be broken, according to the summary. The other report alleged dad’s girlfriend, Jacqulyn Kirkpatrick, hit Olivia.

An agent observed Olivia that day and didn’t see any signs of abuse. The person who alleged abuse recanted her story, and the case was closed.

Then on June 22, 2020, the Kansas Protection Report Center received information alleging caregiver substance abuse. The case was designated as a Family in Need of Assessment, which allows seven work days to respond to. A call was set up with Kirkpatrick eight days later on June 30, and Olivia’s father was requested to take a drug test. He tested positive for THC on July 7. The case remains open, and there are no findings as a result.

Kansas City, Kansas police also received five calls to the house for things like abuse and welfare checks. Other family members told FOX4 that they knew drugs were in the home, but police told them there was nothing they could do and suggested they contact DCF.

Kansas’ child welfare agency releases public reports involving killed 3-year-old Olivia Jansen | FOX 4 Kansas City WDAF-TV | News, Weather, Sports

BELLE PLAINE, Kan. — Kansas Department for Children and Families (DCF) has released a summary of their public records of cases involving 3-year-old Olivia Jansen after concluding that her death was in fact a result of child abuse.

The information release comes on the heels of protests and public outcry over the records, which the agency initially declined to release, despite police reports and an autopsy result.

The summary indicate three separate reports from two days almost four months apart.

The first two reports both came on Feb. 28, 2020. One report alleged “dad,” Howard Jansen III, hit Olivia on the leg leaving a bruise, and there was indication that her leg might be broken, according to the summary. The other report alleged dad’s girlfriend, Jacqulyn Kirkpatrick, hit Olivia.

An agent observed Olivia that day and didn’t see any signs of abuse. The person who alleged abuse recanted her story, and the case was closed.

Then on June 22, 2020, the Kansas Protection Report Center received information alleging caregiver substance abuse. The case was designated as a Family in Need of Assessment, which allows seven work days to respond to. A call was set up with Kirkpatrick eight days later on June 30, and Olivia’s father was requested to take a drug test. He tested positive for THC on July 7. The case remains open, and there are no findings as a result.

Kansas City, Kansas police also received five calls to the house for things like abuse and welfare checks. Other family members told FOX4 that they knew drugs were in the home, but police told them there was nothing they could do and suggested they contact DCF.

Kansas’ child welfare agency releases public reports involving killed 3-year-old Olivia Jansen | FOX 4 Kansas City WDAF-TV | News, Weather, Sports

Thanks for posting this sad but crucial info. There is a numbing familiarity in these reports — allegations of abuse, drug taking, brief, inconclusive follow-up and concerned parties fobbed off while the child victim suffers on. Over and over, again and again.

I can’t help feeling that it should be a LOT harder, impossibly harder, for a child to be abused to death.

Shannon O'Brien
6d ·
Laura Howard, Secretary of Kansas Department for Children and Families answers tough questions about her agencies involvement with 3-year-old Olivia Jansen and her family. She sat down with me to discuss her agencies Child Fatality Summary regarding Olivia.

Olivia was reported missing June 10, later that day her body was found in a shallow grave in Kansas City, Kansas. Olivia's father Howard Jansen III and his girlfriend Jacqulyn Kirkpatrick are in jail, charged with Olivia's murder.

Kansas DCF outlined two reports made to its Kansas Protection Report Center. DCF was involved with the Jansen family when Olivia died.
This is the raw, uncut interview.

116883298_289981685617781_6111691216982048882_n.jpg

-26:38
37 Comments35 Shares

Last edited:
Kansas DCF to release summary of Jansen’s file

TOPEKA, Kan. — Mekhi Boone, Evan Brewer and Adrian Jones, all from different areas in Kansas, were all killed by people who were supposed to love them.

The young boys each had files with the Kansas Department for Children and Families.

Now, family of 3-year-old Olivia Jansen said they too placed calls to the agency and to police for help.

On Monday, Mike Deines, spokesperson for Kansas DCF told the 41 Action News I-Team the agency plans to release a summary of Olivia's file. When asked if that's confirmation that one exists, Deines said the agency cannot confirm they have information on a child until it's confirmed the child died from abuse.

Grandmother of slain KCK boy 'devastated' by Olivia Jansen's death
So sad . Kansas dcf needs to do better yesterday! Adrian Jones was one that stayed with me for awhile.. just heartbreaking

I'll bed dollars to donuts Children's Services was using that time to evaluate which calls they received were going to be brought up in court so their "summary" only included what was absolutely going to be revealed very soon.

This press release and interview seem coldly calculated to give just enough information that they think will get the press to back off. They should really be sued until they release the full info i.e. every single call they received on that address or that family.

Children's services needs to be held accountable and the public needs to be aware how grossly underfunded they are compared to other public safety agencies.

We will have to wait to hear all the facts on this case as it relates to the actions, or lack of actions by CPS. But I am concerned with their file report, if it is correct. The only report of actual "abuse" was recanted by the person who alleged it? The allegations of rampant drug use resulted in a drug test of Olivia's father that had positive results for only marijuana ? That's it, per their case file at this point. There is some explaining that needs to be done--hopefully the real facts will be forthcoming with regard to the "reported" allegations.

1--The first two reports both came on Feb. 28, 2020. One report alleged “dad,” Howard Jansen III, hit Olivia on the leg leaving a bruise, and there was indication that her leg might be broken, according to the summary. The other report alleged dad’s girlfriend, Jacqulyn Kirkpatrick, hit Olivia.

An agent observed Olivia that day and didn’t see any signs of abuse. The person who alleged abuse RECANTED her story, and the case was closed. (bbm)

2--Then on June 22, 2020, the Kansas Protection Report Center received information alleging caregiver substance abuse. Olivia’s father was requested to take a drug test. He tested positive for THC (marijuana) on July 7. (CPS do not remove a child if their parent tests positive for marijuana --which I agree with).

I'll bed dollars to donuts Children's Services was using that time to evaluate which calls they received were going to be brought up in court so their "summary" only included what was absolutely going to be revealed very soon.

This press release and interview seem coldly calculated to give just enough information that they think will get the press to back off. They should really be sued until they release the full info i.e. every single call they received on that address or that family.

Children's services needs to be held accountable and the public needs to be aware how grossly underfunded they are compared to other public safety agencies.

CPS needs to stop hiring thugs and busted up conmen who are in bed with the worst types... there is a reason that time and again and again we see horror stories like this.

It's lucrative to waste the time and money they do have on fighting with families who have minor issues.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back