KS KS - Rachel Pratt, 15, Garden City, 16 Jan 1995

JAN 30, 2015
Police still looking for missing GC woman after 20 years
[...]

Rachel’s brother had set a rollaway mattress on fire in the basement. It had been removed but the basement still smelled of smoke. Ramirez walked into the house and asked where Rachel was, saying she hoped she was not sleeping in the basement with the smoke. Rachel’s brother told her he had fallen asleep as he watched “The Swiss Family Robinson” with Rachel.

“When I went downstairs, everything of hers was there except her jacket that I had got her for school,” Ramirez recalled. “She never took her contacts out, her license or even her Social Security card. She took nothing.”

[...]

Police investigations indicated that Rachel’s siblings and her stepfather were in the house when she disappeared. There were no signs that indicated she had been abducted.

[...]

The pregnancy had rattled the family. Ramirez said she had forced her daughter to reveal how it had happened, and Rachel gave her the name of a local boy, who was 18 years old at the time, as the person responsible.

“We went to his home and we talked to his dad. His mother was not there, but when we got back to our house his mother called and basically called my daughter a liar, that it wasn’t her son’s responsibility,” Ramirez said. “I took the phone away from my daughter and said my daughter doesn’t need to hear this.”

Rachel recorded a statement with police shortly afterward, according to Ramirez.

“A few weeks after that, the boy went to the police department and wrote his statement, so he didn’t deny it,” Ramirez said, adding that after Rachel went missing, the boyfriend always said he didn’t know anything about the disappearance.

Garden City police Capt. Mike Utz said an aggravated indecent liberties with a child case was reported to the department on Dec. 31, 1994, about two weeks before Rachel disappeared. When she went missing, the case was dropped since she, as the primary witness, was not available.

[...]

“We don’t know if she’s alive. We suspect foul play, but there’s nothing definitive to show what happened to her,” he said. “We have talked to the boyfriend on occasion. We cannot rule him out, but we cannot say he is involved because we are still trying to find out if she left on her own accord.”

Utz added: “We know that either a former boyfriend or a former friend, someone out there in this community knows something and we would encourage them, no matter how minute it is they know, to call the police department and ask to speak to a detective.”

Missing person cases usually are solved not by law enforcement alone; community help is considered vital, according to Utz. He acknowledged the department does not believe they have spoken to all of Pratt’s friends, but they have talked to everybody that they knew was associated with her.

[...]

JAN 30, 2015
Police still looking for missing GC woman after 20 years
[...]

Rachel’s brother had set a rollaway mattress on fire in the basement. It had been removed but the basement still smelled of smoke. Ramirez walked into the house and asked where Rachel was, saying she hoped she was not sleeping in the basement with the smoke. Rachel’s brother told her he had fallen asleep as he watched “The Swiss Family Robinson” with Rachel.

[...]

Snipped by me

Rachel’s brother set a mattress on fire? That’s sketchy as hell! Trying to get rid of evidence perhaps?

Rachel also has a sister named Rennie Pratt who is in prison for murder in California (manslaughter conviction). She killed her boyfriend. Not saying I think she harmed Rachel, but found it interesting nonetheless.

Rachel also has a sister named Rennie Pratt who is in prison for murder in California (manslaughter conviction). She killed her boyfriend. Not saying I think she harmed Rachel, but found it interesting nonetheless.

Bumping for Rachel.

Btw, I watched the Snapped episode that is featuring Rennie Pratt's case yesterday.

The boyfriend is the clear suspect. He had means, motive, and opportunity. Rachel only took her jacket with her, which suggests she stepped out briefly, like to speak to her boyfriend. It could have been someone acting on the boyfriend's behalf. From the article posted, his family sounded hostile to the news that he got Rachel pregnant.

I don't want to throw out the alleged sighting five days later, but the witnesses didn't know the missing, it could've been another couple they saw.

From the article posted, his family sounded hostile to the news that he got Rachel pregnant.
Yes, exactly. Her boyfriend was forthcoming with info and didn’t deny it. I’m sure he truly cared about her at least to some extent. When she disappeared, the charges against him were dropped as was the issue with the unwanted pregnancy. There was motive to get Rachel out of the picture. I can see her disappearance being orchestrated by a person or persons associated with the boyfriend who feel they are looking out for what they believe are in his best interests.

Rachel's CP was updated in 2021.

pratt_rachel.jpg
pratt_rachel2.jpg
pratt_rachel3.jpg

Rachel, circa 1995

pratt_rachel_ap.jpg

Age-progression to age 41 (circa 2020)

Last updated February 3, 2021; age-progression updated.

May 16, 2023

15-year-old Rachel Pratt lived in Garden City, Kansas with her parents and seven younger siblings. She did well academically speaking and participated in several extra-curricular activities.

Rachel never ran away from home, broke her curfew, or got into trouble of any kind so it came as quite a shock to her parents when she was caught stealing from Walmart on New Year's Eve 1994.

But it was what Rachel had tried to steal that truly disturbed her parents: A pregnancy test.

They took Rachel to the doctor and confirmed that she was indeed pregnant. Rachel told her parents that her boyfriend, an 18-year-old senior at her high school, was the baby's father.

Rachel's parents paid a visit to the young man's home, and his parents were outraged. His mother accused Rachel of being a liar and insisted that the unborn baby wasn't her son's responsibility.

Rather than celebrate the new year, the Pratts spent the evening filing charges against the boy since their daughter was a minor. Rachel was supposed to testify against him, instead, she disappeared.

On January 15, 1995, Rachel performed in a band concert at her high school. Her parents came to support her, cheering her on from the sidelines. Afterward, the Pratt family went home and had dinner together. Later that evening, Rachel's mother, Jan, kissed her kids goodnight and left for work.

Rachel was last seen by her 3-year-old sister, Layne, when she woke up to get a drink of water at 1 am on January 16th. At the time, Rachel was watching a movie with her brother.

Jan called home at midnight but the line was busy. She felt uneasy and wondered who was up at that hour, talking on the phone. Trusting her motherly instinct, Jan left work early, arriving home at 2 am. She found Rachel's brother asleep on the couch but Rachel was gone and so was her jacket. The rest of her belongings had been left behind including her clothes, ID, and Social Security card.

https://img.particlenews.com/image.php?url=1ul62v_0mQhmMLe00

Rachel PrattPhoto byFacebook

Jan waited up hoping Rachel would return. At 5 am, she heard a car drive by her home. She looked outside and noticed it was the same car that Rachel's boyfriend drove, however, the car didn't stop.

The Pratts reported Rachel missing that day but she was labeled a runaway. They disagreed, insisting their eldest child wouldn't have abandoned her younger siblings, who she adored.

Five days later, a group of girls said they saw Rachel and her boyfriend talking to someone on a payphone. They said Rachel asked them for a ride to Dillon’s, a grocery store. A friend of Jan's also reported seeing Rachel and her boyfriend near his home where he lived with his parents. However, neither of these sightings were confirmed and it's unclear where it actually was Rachel.

The charges against Rachel's boyfriend, whose identity has not been revealed to the public, were ultimately dropped since Rachel wasn't around to testify against him. He denied being with her after she went missing but he has not officially been ruled out as a suspect.

Rachel missed several prenatal appointments and there is no evidence she ever gave birth, received a driver's license, or used her Social Security Card to apply for a job. She left everything behind indicating she planned to return, yet 28 years have gone by with no sign of her.

Today, Rachel would be 43

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back