KY - Breonna Taylor, 26, unarmed, fatally shot multiple times by police, Louisville, 13 Mar 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Louisville federal buildings close for week as city awaits state findings on Breonna Taylor

Federal officials have not announced why the Courthouse and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services field office are closing. But a courthouse official said that building is closing in anticipation of an announcement.

Once the grand jury makes a decision, State Attorney General Daniel Cameron is expected to make a public announcement to share his office’s investigative findings and the grand jury’s decision on possible indictments for the three officers who fired their weapons that night.

One of the officers has been terminated for displaying “an extreme indifference to the value of human life” when he “wantonly and blindly fired ten rounds into the apartment of Breonna Taylor,” according to his termination letter posted to the Louisville Metro Police Department’s Twitter account.

Louisville federal buildings close for week as city awaits state findings on Breonna Taylor

Federal officials have not announced why the Courthouse and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services field office are closing. But a courthouse official said that building is closing in anticipation of an announcement.

Once the grand jury makes a decision, State Attorney General Daniel Cameron is expected to make a public announcement to share his office’s investigative findings and the grand jury’s decision on possible indictments for the three officers who fired their weapons that night.

One of the officers has been terminated for displaying “an extreme indifference to the value of human life” when he “wantonly and blindly fired ten rounds into the apartment of Breonna Taylor,” according to his termination letter posted to the Louisville Metro Police Department’s Twitter account.

While we all are free to stress what we feel is important in an article, I found the statement about the federal structures being near previous demonstrations the most interesting.

I have a feeling the reason the city agreed to a payout is because they will not be charging the officers, it will be interesting to see what the Grand Jury does.
I would like to see reform across the country regarding these warrants. Police go in with the assumption that they have the correct address. Criminals lie, they're not going to update their address with the police. Too often innocent 'bystanders' (family, neighbors, etc) and police are at risk for petty crimes. If they're really already surveilling homes beforehand , then maybe do a better job of identifying the person they are looking for. Especially with the Covid-19, you have disabled people that do not leave the home for weeks/months and surveillance will not pick that up.

@dctello

Calling it a "close" case, Jefferson Circuit Court Judge Barry Willett has ruled Louisville Metro Police does not have to release its investigative file into the fatal police shooting of Breonna Taylor. At least for now.
The
@courierjournal
is seriously considering an appeal.
Judge rules against releasing Breonna Taylor file to Courier Journal

@robferdman
Some hints in here that even after Kentucky AG Daniel Cameron announces whether any charges will be brought against officers involved in Breonna Taylor’s case, the Louisville Metro Police Department still won’t have to release info it’s been hiding for the past several months

Last edited:
@TravisRagsdale
@LMPD
has cancelled off days and vacations for officers as city prepares for Breonna Taylor announcement. Police also putting up barricades in parts of the city.@WDRBNews

Attachments

• 95100E31-2966-4903-8DC7-EA932124C58D.png
    95100E31-2966-4903-8DC7-EA932124C58D.png
    92.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 177A3452-19C0-4E83-B20C-BBB894B89C5F.jpeg
    177A3452-19C0-4E83-B20C-BBB894B89C5F.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 7
https://twitter.com/TessaDuvall
Three more LMPD officers are under investigation by the Professional Standards Unit for their connection to the fatal shooting of Breonna Taylor. They are detectives Tony James, Michael Campbell and Michael Nobles, who were all on-scene March 13.
The PSU is also investigating detective Myles Cosgrove and Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly, who fired their weapons at Taylor's apartment, along with detective Joshua Jaynes, who wrote the affidavit to get the search warrant for Taylor's apartment.

Breonna Taylor case: What we know about the special prosecutors

Reposting this article. The AG may announce the GJ decission but the case is being presented by two career prosecutors in the AG office. Remember the GJ needs 9 of 12 votes to indict. They are not guilty verdicts & only suggests there is enough evidence to take the case to trial. Whatever the GJ decides, I will be interested in what charges were offered & the reasons for and against bringing them. As I said before, I've not seen all the evidence, so I don't feel comfortable saying someone should be charged. I have no skin in the game and if the evidence presented & the interpretation of the law is clear I have no problem with charges.

Six LMPD officers under internal investigation for roles in deadly Breonna Taylor shooting

mattinglycosgrovehankison-png-1600746619.png

The police department's Professional Standards Unit (PSU) has initiated an internal investigation.

The officers include Sgt. Jon Mattingly and Detective Myles Cosgrove, who fired their weapons during the raid on March 13 at Taylor's apartment.

Detective Brett Hankison was the other officer who opened fire, but was fired in June. The LMPD said he violated two standard operating procedures, including obedience to rules and regulations and use of deadly force.

The other officers named in the PSU investigation include detectives Joshua Jaynes, Tony James, Michael Campbell and Michael Nobles.

Jaynes is the detective who sought the no-knock warrant for Taylor's apartment. He was also put on reassignment, along with Mattingly and Cosgrove.

The PSU investigation is separate from the one that Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron's office is conducting, which will determine whether Mattingly, Cosgrove or Hankison will face charges.

@robferdman
I obtained this email, which was sent at 2:09am by Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly, who was involved in the raid on Breonna Taylor’s apartment and fired his weapon, from a source within LMPD who called it “an insane email"

LMPD Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly (who is being investigated as part of Breonna Taylor’s case) sent an email to around 1,000 officers at 2am that calls protestors thugs, complains about the government enforcing civil rights violations, and claims this is "good versus evil”
The section about the enforcement of civil rights violations is particularly jarring. "..the department and FBI (who aren't cops and would piss their pants if they had to hold the line) go after you for civil rights violations."
"Remember, you are just a pawn in the Mayor's political game"
This is all from one of the LMPD officers who not only were involved in the raid that led to Breonna Taylor's death, but one of the three who LMPD says fired their gun. Sgt. Mattingly, who was shot in the leg that night, has been on administrative reassignment since the incident

Attachments

• 5DECA439-F19D-4374-A77F-6284A267790F.jpeg
    5DECA439-F19D-4374-A77F-6284A267790F.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 8661020D-DC41-43D0-B047-6C7E8FB56252.jpeg
    8661020D-DC41-43D0-B047-6C7E8FB56252.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 24F4B46B-F673-45B0-BCA8-6083752F935C.jpeg
    24F4B46B-F673-45B0-BCA8-6083752F935C.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 22
I think it’s odd that he is complaining that the FBI and police department investigate/enforce civil rights violations.
Also, who is the criminal being canonized?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998