KY - Breonna Taylor, 26, unarmed, fatally shot multiple times by police, Louisville, 13 Mar 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s odd that he is complaining that the FBI and police department investigate/enforce civil rights violations.
Also, who is the criminal being canonized?

I don't think we will ever know which criminal he was talking about. jmo

@robferdman
I obtained this email, which was sent at 2:09am by Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly, who was involved in the raid on Breonna Taylor’s apartment and fired his weapon, from a source within LMPD who called it “an insane email"

LMPD Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly (who is being investigated as part of Breonna Taylor’s case) sent an email to around 1,000 officers at 2am that calls protestors thugs, complains about the government enforcing civil rights violations, and claims this is "good versus evil”
The section about the enforcement of civil rights violations is particularly jarring. "..the department and FBI (who aren't cops and would piss their pants if they had to hold the line) go after you for civil rights violations."
"Remember, you are just a pawn in the Mayor's political game"
This is all from one of the LMPD officers who not only were involved in the raid that led to Breonna Taylor's death, but one of the three who LMPD says fired their gun. Sgt. Mattingly, who was shot in the leg that night, has been on administrative reassignment since the incident

I think we can decode what is written in the email to his peers. "Thugs" , "what you identify as...this week" and other words inflame and create further division.

To me this issue is not about taking a side but rather standing for justice for all. I have written here many times that I have family in LEO. The LEO I know are good, hard working people. Are they capable of a mistake? Yes. The unfortunate thing about all of this is that there still remains bad seeds in these department who make it hard to sit idly by when injustices occur. With these people on the job, the good people who make a mistake are lumped in with those who push the legal limits on what behavior they can get away with.

Mr. Mattingly may not be a bad cop with bad intention, I don't really know. However, there is some clear overstating and declarations that go beyond truth that got that warrant (IMO). He may be as much a victim as the innocent Ms. Taylor. He (and others) also suffer when the system is not assessed and issues addressed. He was shot and his career may be ruined.

And, let's not forget that Ms. Taylor who was sitting in her bed watching tv is the biggest victim of this mistake and overreach (IMO). She is dead. Yes, she dated a bad man. No, she was not a dealer. No, she was not part of this man's drug dealing by any account.

I have posted the names of many people who have been shot in their homes, defending their homes over time during these raids that had wrong addresses, etc. Ms. Taylor is one more. The warrant type seems to be off the table but the behavior in getting warrants that overreach is not yet taken care of.

@robferdman
I obtained this email, which was sent at 2:09am by Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly, who was involved in the raid on Breonna Taylor’s apartment and fired his weapon, from a source within LMPD who called it “an insane email"
LMPD Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly (who is being investigated as part of Breonna Taylor’s case) sent an email to around 1,000 officers at 2am that calls protestors thugs, complains about the government enforcing civil rights violations, and claims this is "good versus evil”
The section about the enforcement of civil rights violations is particularly jarring. "..the department and FBI (who aren't cops and would piss their pants if they had to hold the line) go after you for civil rights violations."
"Remember, you are just a pawn in the Mayor's political game"
This is all from one of the LMPD officers who not only were involved in the raid that led to Breonna Taylor's death, but one of the three who LMPD says fired their gun. Sgt. Mattingly, who was shot in the leg that night, has been on administrative reassignment since the incident

You can read the 4 page email from Mattingly to "LMPD All Sworn" here:
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.tow...-11ea-8ca4-c7775bd1d766/5f6a06356c1d1.pdf.pdf

Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly email

here is the first page:

5f6a06351c542.preview.jpg

Last edited:
It sounds like a pep talk. I don’t see anything wrong with what he wrote. What am I missing?
Here are my thoughts on the timing of the release of this email and some of the content.
There is currently a grand jury empaneled against this officer as well as the others involved in the raid.

He clearly has no concept (IMO) of the civil right violations that LE caused that night and again (IMO) doesn't care about them.

He is degrading the Mayor Greg Fisher to 1,000 LE officers during an ongoing investigation.

He calls peaceful protesters Thugs there have been some that have done crimes and need to be held accountable ( it is never acceptable to throw things at LE, set buildings on fire, and be destructive to property) but why is it that people in our community have no right to peaceful protest without being called thugs
that can't peacefully protest but LE has the right to be Judge, Jury and Executioner and then feel they should not be held accountable?

He did not intend for this to be a pep talk in his first sentence he claims this is not a "Rah Rah" speech.

He wanted to say he was sorry to all of the officers who are going through this and I don't disagree with that statement but what about Breonna? Her friends and family? Kenneth Walker? And our entire community? Do we not deserve an apology we have been going thru this since March 13th and this is Sept 22 if he is gonna hand out apologies then apologize to all that have been affected.

Then he goes after the FBI saying the would not hold the line and would piss themselves, well who would LMPD call if they needed help with a serious investigation the same organization who without question bring all there investigative resources to help out.

He claims they all signed up to be Police Officers but the city doesn't have their backs, so I guess in his eyes LE can do no wrong ever and the city should just put their heads in the sand like they have before and maybe doing in this exact case.

He states for the officers to not let their egos get them in a trick bag, to bad he can't take his own advice because that is where his own ego seems to be.

(IMO) the part about have your partners 6 and dont let the pencil pushers open investigations on you is a reference to the blue line, don't speak about anything that LE may do wrong on a case so that investigations cannot be opened against you. He doesn't say make sure you do your job in a way that there would be no reason to be investigated in the first place.

He does have it correct when he says this is going to be a long bad week well I hope he realizes the actions taken against Breonna Taylor the night of March 13tb is the reason why.

Nothing like throwing a can of gas on a fire that has been brewing for months, I am sure his brothers and sisters in blue appreciate that since they will be the ones trying to contain this city.

Last edited:
Thank you for the well written explanation Kimmer. I saw the whole thing differently so it’s good to have a level headed explanation from someone else. Doesn’t necessarily change what I think but it gives me another way to view it.
When different views can be expressed without nasty or negative responses THAT is how a conversation starts.

Here are my thoughts on the timing of the release of this email and some of the content.
There is currently a grand jury empaneled against this officer as well as the others involved in the raid.

He clearly has no concept (IMO) of the civil right violations that LE caused that night and again (IMO) doesn't care about them.

He is degrading the Mayor Greg Fisher to 1,000 LE officers during an ongoing investigation.

He calls peaceful protesters Thugs there have been some that have done crimes and need to be held accountable ( it is never acceptable to throw things at LE, set buildings on fire, and be destructive to property) but why is it that people in our community have no right to peaceful protest without being called thugs
that can't peacefully protest but LE has the right to be Judge, Jury and Executioner and then feel they should not be held accountable?

He did not intend for this to be a pep talk in his first sentence he claims this is not a "Rah Rah" speech.

He wanted to say he was sorry to all of the officers who are going through this and I don't disagree with that statement but what about Breonna? Her friends and family? Kenneth Walker? And our entire community? Do we not deserve an apology we have been going thru this since March 13th and this is Sept 22 if he is gonna hand out apologies then apologize to all that have been affected.

Then he goes after the FBI saying the would not hold the line and would piss themselves, well who would LMPD call if they needed help with a serious investigation the same organization who without question bring all there investigative resources to help out.

He claims they all signed up to be Police Officers but the city doesn't have their backs, so I guess in his eyes LE can do no wrong ever and the city should just put their heads in the sand like they have before and maybe doing in this exact case.

He states for the officers to not let their egos get them in a trick bag, to bad he can't take his own advice because that is where his own ego seems to be.

(IMO) the part about have your partners 6 and dont let the pencil pushers open investigations on you is a reference to the blue line, don't speak about anything that LE may do wrong on a case so that investigations cannot be opened against you. He doesn't say make sure you do your job in a way that there would be no reason to be investigated in the first place.

He does have it correct when he says this is going to be a long bad week well I hope he realizes the actions taken against Breonna Taylor the night of March 13tb is the reason why.

Nothing like throwing a can of gas on a fire that has been brewing for months, I am sure his brothers and sisters in blue appreciate that since they will be the ones trying to contain this city.

Thank you. I must point out . . . though he is writing about the protesting "thugs," Breonna Taylor wasn't involved in a protest when she was killed, nor was her partner. They were sleeping. Breonna Taylor wasn't involved in his good & evil fight, she was sleeping. I find his reminder to "do it with dignity and make sure you can justify your actions because everything down there is being recorded" just as chilling as the statement about civil rights violations. I have not a thing against the police, and know quite a few career police officers and detectives, as well as a couple of prosecutors. I don't think any of them would admit to being mad about civil rights investigations. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope not.

Television has usually portrayed the internal affairs dept. as something that the rank and file had no love for. Didn't like being judged by desk jockeys.

Since when does the head of the FOP get to say what banners are hung in any city, and I am just as sorry that some of the LMPD felt it was a slap in the face for those banners to be hanging, but go talk to Tamika Palmer and Breonna sisters and friends and go speak with her boyfriend Kenneth Walker and see if they feel like they have been slapped in the face since March 13th 2020. then answer that question. JMHO.

It just shows the total lack of remorse that a banner of a woman THEY shot and killed is a slap in the face to THEM. This is what disgusts me with attitudes I see. It's almost like a god complex. No one is supposed to find fault in anything they did no matter how egregious. It doesn't matter that an innocent woman was shot repeatedly and lost her life in her own home! The public is just supposed to side with LE no matter what. You aren't a hero just because you wear a badge. You are a hero if you actually live and behave as one.

I look about as conservative as they come and am in many ways. But I have been following the state of LE in this country for well over a decade now and find it repulsive and dangerous. I'm not looking to live in some lawless state. But they should not be allowed to act and endanger lives with impunity.

I will never forget the poor toddler in my state who was the victim of a no knock the raid. LE was just cowardly and tried to weasel out of doing anything for that family. They had NO honor in their actions. The protesting and rioting are a direct results of decades of worsening behavior by LE. If they were truly honorable and truly served their community instead of being a good old boys club our country wouldn't be in the state it's in. But they refuse to take responsibility for their actions over and over again.

If a GJ decission is made that the authorities think will lead to "rioting", when would be the best time to divulge this info & how to release it in order to prevent it. This is assuming they want to lessen the impact.

It just shows the total lack of remorse that a banner of a woman THEY shot and killed is a slap in the face to THEM. This is what disgusts me with attitudes I see. It's almost like a god complex. No one is supposed to find fault in anything they did no matter how egregious. It doesn't matter that an innocent woman was shot repeatedly and lost her life in her own home! The public is just supposed to side with LE no matter what. You aren't a hero just because you wear a badge. You are a hero if you actually live and behave as one.

I look about as conservative as they come and am in many ways. But I have been following the state of LE in this country for well over a decade now and find it repulsive and dangerous. I'm not looking to live in some lawless state. But they should not be allowed to act and endanger lives with impunity.

I will never forget the poor toddler in my state who was the victim of a no knock the raid. LE was just cowardly and tried to weasel out of doing anything for that family. They had NO honor in their actions. The protesting and rioting are a direct results of decades of worsening behavior by LE. If they were truly honorable and truly served their community instead of being a good old boys club our country wouldn't be in the state it's in. But they refuse to take responsibility for their actions over and over again.

I was doing real good following along until "our country wouldn't be in the state it's in". I'm kind of dense. It went over my head.

If a GJ decission is made that the authorities think will lead to "rioting", when would be the best time to divulge this info & how to release it in order to prevent it. This is assuming they want to lessen the impact.
You have people on both sides of this disaster in Lou, you have people with long Guns strapped to their chest with multiple magazines full of ammo (this is a full carry state) they are more on LE side (which is not wrong). Then you have the people who are on Breonna's side (they are not wrong) so there is a serious situation that has been set up no matter what the decision is. Again I would just ask that people pray for my community as this has been a very difficult situation for all involved.

You can read the 4 page email from Mattingly to "LMPD All Sworn" here:
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.tow...-11ea-8ca4-c7775bd1d766/5f6a06356c1d1.pdf.pdf

Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly email

here is the first page:

5f6a06351c542.preview.jpg

Jon Mattingly: Officer involved in Breonna Taylor shooting sends candid email to LMPD colleagues

Mattingly’s wife posted to Facebook Tuesday night in defense of her husband. She began the post by writing “as a mother, I empathize with the pain Taylor’s mother feels for losing a child.”

In the lengthy post, she writes about the five-hour surgery her husband underwent the night of the shooting, how her family has been in hiding since, and how it has caused night terrors and anxiety for her young son.

She also addresses the part in her husband’s emails where he calls some protesters “thugs.” She says he was not defining the peaceful protesters and was referring to the radical groups who have “taken it upon themselves to be violent.”

For people who have seen this vice news special that was released 3 months ago it is a look at no knock warrants in Lou as well as info about Breonna Taylors raid

@dctello

Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron will be announcing the decision in the fatal shooting of 26-year-old Breonna Taylor by Louisville police at 1:30 p.m. in Frankfort

@Kimmer
Stay safe
I hope it’s calm.
Thank You so much I will be on pins and needles and I appreciate for all of the people who are concerned about this community..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419