KY KY - Crittenden, 50 Ft From Kenton Co Line, WhtFem 13-15, UP6711, Found Nude On Menefee Road, Long, Light Brown Hair, Apr'76

Please do not submit altered images of any rendering (sketches, reconstructions) done by a qualified forensic artist.

While we understand that members are only trying to be helpful, we have 180,000+ members and can't have official images that have been altered presented here. Such alterations may be misconstrued by the public as an official LE/forensic rendering of a UID, or a suspect sketch, etc.

Websleuths is very fortunate to have CarlK90245 on board as a professional forensic artist and UID forum Moderator. Carl's work is highly regarded in the law enforcement community and as a result of his work with the DNA Doe Project.

Thank you to all our members who care so much and try so hard to give a name back to these UIDs. You are all appreciated.

Has anyone mentioned Sandra Nadine Landrum? She vanished September 29, 1975 from Union City, Georgia. Sandra was described as between 5'1-5'3 and around 100 pounds. She was eighteen years old. She left home to use a pay phone and never returned. She was also barefoot.
Soon after her disappearance the family started receiving phone calls from someone who provided details about Sandra being murdered.
Sandra looks younger than she appears.
GA - GA - Cassandra Landrum, 18, Union City, 29 Sept 1975

Attachments

• IMG_20201230_030234.jpg
    IMG_20201230_030234.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20201230_030304.jpg
    IMG_20201230_030304.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 26
Has anyone mentioned Sandra Nadine Landrum? She vanished September 29, 1975 from Union City, Georgia. Sandra was described as between 5'1-5'3 and around 100 pounds. She was eighteen years old. She left home to use a pay phone and never returned. She was also barefoot.
Soon after her disappearance the family started receiving phone calls from someone who provided details about Sandra being murdered.
Sandra looks younger than she appears.
GA - GA - Cassandra Landrum, 18, Union City, 29 Sept 1975
I do see some resemblance. The timing and circumstances could fit. The biggest discrepancies for me are the age and her nose. I imagine they used other characteristics and science to estimate her age, which I think is fairly accurate; Early teens.

The nose difference is based on comparison to a recon that I feel could be updated and finessed a little. It’s very caricature-like in my opinion (it’s hard for me to see past), which causes the bridge of the nose area to look very different than Sandra’s. This is just me nitpicking though.

BUT, considering NamUs shows zero exclusions for our girl, I don’t see any harm in submitting her!

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

A long shot. Could this sweet girl be Lynette Dawn Culver missing since May 1975 from Pocatello, Idaho? Of course you could wonder about a few things;

Where was she during a whole year,
how did she came from A to B? It's an approx. 26 hours drive.
Bundy seems to have confessed killing her, but LE have their doubts about it.

Thumbnail

Missing Age 12 Years (approx. 13 in 1976) / UID estimated 13 - 15
Long light brown hair / UID long light brown hair
5'2 / UID 5'2

Look at her mouth...and her very big eyes. It looks a lot like the recons IMO.
She does have the overall look and I never trust the word of a serial killer. She could have fooled everyone and made her way to Kentucky!

This case frustrates me. I think we should submit anyone who meets the criteria.

I do see some resemblance. The timing and circumstances could fit. The biggest discrepancies for me are the age and her nose. I imagine they used other characteristics and science to estimate her age, which I think is fairly accurate; Early teens.

The nose difference is based on comparison to a recon that I feel could be updated and finessed a little. It’s very caricature-like in my opinion (it’s hard for me to see past), which causes the bridge of the nose area to look very different than Sandra’s. This is just me nitpicking though.

BUT, considering NamUs shows zero exclusions for our girl, I don’t see any harm in submitting her!
I completely agree. I really want to see an updated recon of this girl. I actually live in Kenton County (near where Doe was found) and it's strange that there's not much media attention or updates on this Jane Doe. I know the distance is about 7 hours away but I've driven across states like Georgia in about that time. I also take noses on recons with a grain of salt. Many noses aren't accurate. If there was a pm of this Doe I'd make a recon just to submit it. As for Sandra Landrum I see a few small details in the recon that resemble Jane Doe like the hair, lips, eye shape and chin. You're right about this recon drawing looking like a caricature. It also looks like an older woman instead of a young teenager.

I’ve read back through the thread...again...and remember why it’s been so frustrating. I think a great start to any hope of making an identification would be to find her body. How in the world do we go about doing that?!

Odd the parents named her..
Carol Sue Klaber
If the UID DOE was identified as Carol Klaber, here is a much appreciated Othram update.. rbbm
ETA

''Summary​

In June 1976, 16-year-old, Carol Sue Klaber was found brutally murdered in a roadside ditch on Chambers Road in Walton, Kentucky. The Kentucky State Police (KSP) responded to the scene and began their murder investigation at that time. The investigation revealed that Ms. Klaber died as a result of blunt force trauma with evidence of strangulation as well as sexual assault. KSP Detective Jerry Keith worked the investigation for nearly a decade before it went cold.

The Boone County Sheriff’s Office Cold Case Unit was established in 2017 and is comprised of two (2) detectives, Detective Coy Cox and Detective Tim Adams. They adopted Ms. Klaber’s murder investigation that same year. Detectives learned that evidence of the suspects’s DNA was collected in 1976 as well as the suspect’s fingerprints. In the years that followed, Detectives Cox & Adams targeted two (2) credible suspects, however, they were later forensically ruled out.

In September 2022, the Boone County Sheriff’s Office partnered with Othram to determine if advanced forensic DNA testing could help establish an identity for the male suspect or a close relative. With funding provided by Season of Justice, the Kentucky State Police Central Forensic Center sent Othram a DNA extract developed from the 1976 crime scene. Othram scientists used Forensic-Grade Genome Sequencing to build a comprehensive DNA profile for the unknown suspect. Once the profile was built, Othram’s in-house genealogy team used forensic genetic genealogy to produce investigative leads which were returned to the Boone County Sheriff's Office. In a follow up investigation, detectives were then able to positively identify the suspect.

The suspect is identified as Thomas W. Dunaway originally of Park Hills, Kentucky. He was 19 years old when he brutally murdered Ms. Klaber in 1976. Dunaway developed an extensive and violent criminal history over the years and died in 1990 at the age of 33. The Cold Case Unit met with the Klaber family to notify them of their findings.

Dunaway’s DNA will be entered into the Combined DNA Index System (CODIS) for comparison against other unknown profiles.

We are grateful to Season of Justice for providing the funding necessary for Othram to complete the laboratory testing and genetic genealogy.''

Last edited:
@dotr @othram I don't think Carol and this UID are the same person, Though I wonder if they were killed by the same person, given the close timeframe and geographic proximity?

The subject of this UID thread was found 17 April 1976.
Carol didn't go missing until 4 June 1976 (and her body was found on 5 June).

Carol's parent's comments seem to indicate that they ID their daughter almost immediately after her body was found on 5 June 1976, and not recently.

<sbm>.......her parents wrote on the website Parents of Murdered Children. “As far as we know, Carol was kidnapped on Friday night, June 4, 1976. She was going to eat supper with friends. It was not her habit to not let us know where or what she was doing,” her page on the website reads.

The next night on the news, we heard that the body of a young girl was found in a ditch in Boone County. We called the Kentucky State Police. It was our daughter. She had been strangled with a heavy chain necklace she wore. She was raped and mortally wounded seven times in her head with an object similar to a jack handle.”
<sbm> www.fox19.com/2023/03/08/suspect-named-nky-teens-1976-cold-case-murder-sheriffs-office-says/

@dotr @othram I don't think Carol and this UID are the same person, Though I wonder if they were killed by the same person, given the close timeframe and geographic proximity?

The subject of this UID thread was found 17 April 1976.
Carol didn't go missing until 4 June 1976 (and her body was found on 5 June).

Carol's parent's comments seem to indicate that they ID their daughter almost immediately after her body was found on 5 June 1976, and not recently.

<sbm>.......her parents wrote on the website Parents of Murdered Children. “As far as we know, Carol was kidnapped on Friday night, June 4, 1976. She was going to eat supper with friends. It was not her habit to not let us know where or what she was doing,” her page on the website reads.

The next night on the news, we heard that the body of a young girl was found in a ditch in Boone County. We called the Kentucky State Police. It was our daughter. She had been strangled with a heavy chain necklace she wore. She was raped and mortally wounded seven times in her head with an object similar to a jack handle.”
<sbm> www.fox19.com/2023/03/08/suspect-named-nky-teens-1976-cold-case-murder-sheriffs-office-says/
ETA the correct thread in link above, sorry for the confusion!

The Doe Network page for one of the candidates, Lori Jean Lloyd, has been removed. I do think she's this girl, but Jane Doe's Doe Network page is still active. \

930UFKY
I think you are correct. I saw something on FB about her identification. It seems when they? were going through her stuff one more time they? discovered an additional photo of her dentals and this made the identification possible. Hmmm.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back