nerosleuth

Reaction score
Dixie Barker
Missing since February 8, 1983 from Ashland, Kentucky
Classification: Endangered Missing Person

Vital Statistics
Date of Birth: December 31, 1926
Age at time of disappearance: 56
Age now: 82 (will be 83 at end of December)

Race: White
Sex: Female
Height: 5’ 2”
Eyes: Blue
Complexion: Medium
Hair Color: Brown
Weight: 105

Body Details: Scars and Marks:

(1) Appendectomy scar on abdomen.

(2) Scar on upper leg close to hip.

Circumstances:

Dixie Barker lived in a trailer at a trailer park that she shared with her son. Dixie Barker was last seen at her residence on February 8, 1983 in the area of the 3400 block of South 29th Street in Ashland, Kentucky.

There were approximately 60 homes in the trailer park where Dixie Barker lived. No one from the trailer park saw Dixie Barker leave home on that day.

Nothing was missing from Barker’s home to suggest that she left on her own accord as all of her personal belongings were found undisturbed.

At the time of her disappearance, her son was a city sanitation worker. Her son told police investigators that he last saw his mother at their home before he left that morning for work.

Dixie Barker was never seen or heard from since the day she disappeared.

A close relative posted years later on an unsolved mysteries message board that Dixie Barker was a little wild for her age, liked to go to bars, and wore fancy clothes. Dixie Barker also went by the handle Baby Blue on the CB Radio.

While police investigators have several persons of interest in the disappearance of Dixie Barker, they never had enough evidence to make an arrest in this case.

Dixie Barker’s case remains unsolved.

The Ashland, Kentucky Police Department is investigating this as an endangered missing person case.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning Dixie’s disappearance, please contact:

Ashland Police Department
Phone: 606-327-2072
Investigative Case # 83-03673

Source Information:

HTTP://WWW.ASHLANDKYPD.COM/MISSINGPERSONS.CFM

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/barker_dixie.html

HTTP://WWW.THEYAREMISSED.ORG/NCMA/GALLERY/NCMAPROFILE_ALL.PHP?A200301047W

HTTP://FORTHEMISSING.BLOGSPOT.COM/2009/11/MISSING-SINCE-1983-DIXIE-BARKER-ASHLAND.HTML

http://www.unsolvedmysteries.com/usm5452.html

My sister and I are starting a blog on the missing children and adults of Kentucky. Dixie Barker is our first missing person to research and post on. It's now 2019, almost, 2020 and she is still missing.

I have a question:
In these missing cases do they run their SS# every so often? I am curious if this is part of the process?

Sadly, I do not believe she is still living but just through NamUs there are 260 missing men, women and children in Kentucky alone. It would be a huge help if they could tell us when it was last used.

According to updates on The Doe Network she's been located.
Located & Identified Persons
DBarker.jpg

Dixie Barker (711DFKY) is no longer missing per namus. No further information is available.

Dixie Barker – UNSOLVED APPALACHIA
I went to the above posted it shows her speaking to truck drivers on the CB. During the 80s it was a pretty big thing to do. You can watch several movies during that time showing the fad of talking on the CB. My brother-in-law is a truck driver and he was telling me you can pin point a person's location if they talk long enough by using "Squelch" on his cb. I wish we could ask if she had a cb there in the home. Does the FCC have a way to track the use of cb radios? There are questions I have.

I went to the above posted it shows her speaking to truck drivers on the CB. During the 80s it was a pretty big thing to do....

Someone was (fairly) recently ID'ed (UP82 04/01/1985 Knox KY) is earlier up the thread in Dixie's rule-outs, but I'm not really sure why. Perhaps because she was found in eastern Kentucky. She had just been dead for a few days (very recognizable) and was notably younger than Dixie. She was a "traveller" (or however you'd say "lot lizard" in a nice way) from North Carolina. She also got around by finding rides via CB's at truck stops. Her name was Espy Regina Black-Pilgrim and was found naked and dead in a refrigerator beside the main road between I-75 and Cumberland Gap. But she'd been unknown from 1985 - 2018. Black's likely murderer (Jerry Leon Johns) is now dead. Just about every aspect of her story is actually painful to learn about.

I wonder how "wild" Dixie was. She was in her 50's, which isn't as old when thinking about that kind of thing today. But back then, she would have been close to my grandmother's age and she and her friends seemed "old" to me around that time when I was a little kid.

I had "a thought" that I thought may point to Dixie's being found as a mistake. I haven't had a chance to decide if I could be right of if it was stupid and should be disegarded. What do y'all think?

On DoeNet, it said that Dixie is listed as found per NamUS. I am accustomed to when that happens, their NamUS profile immediately disappears forever - usually before anything on any other website has the chance to make note of the ID or someone being located.

Her NamUS profile is still active and mentions nothing regarding any kind of conclusion to her case.

???

Dixie Barker – UNSOLVED APPALACHIA
I went to the above posted it shows her speaking to truck drivers on the CB. During the 80s it was a pretty big thing to do. You can watch several movies during that time showing the fad of talking on the CB. My brother-in-law is a truck driver and he was telling me you can pin point a person's location if they talk long enough by using "Squelch" on his cb. I wish we could ask if she had a cb there in the home. Does the FCC have a way to track the use of cb radios? There are questions I have.

I remember when I first started posting here I'd see certain members tag a specific WS member who'd post MP notices on trucker boards or something similar. I have no idea who any of them were but it'd be nice if someone would tag that person now. Perhaps she/he would know the answer to this question.

ETA - maybe @Gardener1850 or @dotr knows who it is I'm talking about. :)

Last edited:
I had "a thought" that I thought may point to Dixie's being found as a mistake. I haven't had a chance to decide if I could be right of if it was stupid and should be disegarded. What do y'all think?

On DoeNet, it said that Dixie is listed as found per NamUS. I am accustomed to when that happens, their NamUS profile immediately disappears forever - usually before anything on any other website has the chance to make note of the ID or someone being located.

Her NamUS profile is still active and mentions nothing regarding any kind of conclusion to her case.

???

It could be a mistake on DoeNet's part. Maybe send an email to them asking them to verify their information. OTOH, I remember reading a thread once where it supposedly took 8 years (iirc) for them to delete a profile after an ID was made.:confused: It could go either way, imo.

Dixie Barker Fife has NOT been found. I know her granddaughter. When Dixie went missing, her purse was still at the home, something that was out of character for her. They found a hand not far from her home, but they think it belonged to another woman that was missing and they later found her body in a field. Yet, the newspapers say there was not enough left on the hand to test for a matching DNA, after they had completed other testing on it. Whatever that means. So, the hand has never been fully idenified. Her granddaughter said she was recently told the evidence had been lost. I'm waiting on a reply from them. I want to mention the case on my YouTube channel, and also dig into it as much as they will let me. I tried to click the link, but it's expired. Did they ever change the information on their site, stating she has NOT been found? I don't want people to stop looking for her, or researching the case. Considering it probably happened (whatever it was), at the house, what are your thoughts now, after reading the available information? Thank you.

Dixie Barker
Missing since February 8, 1983 from Ashland, Kentucky
Classification: Endangered Missing Person

Vital Statistics
Date of Birth: December 31, 1926
Age at time of disappearance: 56
Age now: 82 (will be 83 at end of December)

Race: White
Sex: Female
Height: 5’ 2”
Eyes: Blue
Complexion: Medium
Hair Color: Brown
Weight: 105

Body Details: Scars and Marks:

(1) Appendectomy scar on abdomen.

(2) Scar on upper leg close to hip.

Circumstances:

Dixie Barker lived in a trailer at a trailer park that she shared with her son. Dixie Barker was last seen at her residence on February 8, 1983 in the area of the 3400 block of South 29th Street in Ashland, Kentucky.

There were approximately 60 homes in the trailer park where Dixie Barker lived. No one from the trailer park saw Dixie Barker leave home on that day.

Nothing was missing from Barker’s home to suggest that she left on her own accord as all of her personal belongings were found undisturbed.

At the time of her disappearance, her son was a city sanitation worker. Her son told police investigators that he last saw his mother at their home before he left that morning for work.

Dixie Barker was never seen or heard from since the day she disappeared.

A close relative posted years later on an unsolved mysteries message board that Dixie Barker was a little wild for her age, liked to go to bars, and wore fancy clothes. Dixie Barker also went by the handle Baby Blue on the CB Radio.

While police investigators have several persons of interest in the disappearance of Dixie Barker, they never had enough evidence to make an arrest in this case.

Dixie Barker’s case remains unsolved.

The Ashland, Kentucky Police Department is investigating this as an endangered missing person case.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning Dixie’s disappearance, please contact:

Ashland Police Department
Phone: 606-327-2072
Investigative Case # 83-03673

Source Information:

HTTP://WWW.ASHLANDKYPD.COM/MISSINGPERSONS.CFM

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/barker_dixie.html

HTTP://WWW.THEYAREMISSED.ORG/NCMA/GALLERY/NCMAPROFILE_ALL.PHP?A200301047W

HTTP://FORTHEMISSING.BLOGSPOT.COM/2009/11/MISSING-SINCE-1983-DIXIE-BARKER-ASHLAND.HTML

http://www.unsolvedmysteries.com/usm5452.html

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie