KY - Douglas Middleton, 23, Knox County, 15 Feb 2017 *Arrest*

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by los2188, Feb 15, 2017.

1. los2188

los2188 North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

2. Loading...

3. Dalagali

Dalagali New Member

Continuing from the link:

His guardian told KSP that Middleton has a known disability and has never has left his residence alone. The guardian also stated that he has not been taking his medication.

4. los2188

los2188 North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

5. SBHack

SBHack Verified Attorney

Remains IDed; not Douglas Middleton.
    http://www.lex18.com/story/34548600...-knox-county-unrelated-to-missing-person-case

I couldn't find a thread for David Farmer, but I am glad for his family that he has been located.

6. bflocket

bflocket Active Member

Mr Middleton has been found safe after apparently wandering around the woods and mountains for two weeks. It seems so strange. I'm kind of near there, in central Kentucky, and we've had crazy weather. The temps went up into the 80's last Friday and then dipped down to almost freezing the next night and then it got warm again. Plus, there were a few days when we had extremely heavy rain statewide and bad thunderstorms.

I'm glad he's been found safe. I just wonder what he did the whole time. News stories said that he was "mentally ill," but I don't think many "mentally regular" people would be able to make it for that long out in the hills all alone. He had to have found some kind of shelter, maybe a barn or something? And somehow he surely had to find food. I'm really curious now.

After weeks missing, man found alive in Knox County woods
    WYMT (Hazard, KY)
    3/3/2017
    Man reported missing in Knox Co. found alive after two weeks in the woods
    WKYT (Lexington, KY)
    3/3/2017

7. bflocket

bflocket Active Member

Knox missing man found
    The Middlesboro Daily News (Middlesboro, KY)
    3/3/2017

8. bflocket

bflocket Active Member

I think this is from one of the stories that I linked to, but it's been slightly updated (edited).

9. bflocket

bflocket Active Member

OK, folks... This story didn't have quite the happy ending that we thought it did.

It turns out that there actually was foul play involved and Middleton will be (physically) crippled for the rest of his life. His frostbite was so bad that they had to amputate both of his legs.

These new details describe what actually happened to Middleton. The "Why in the Hell would anybody have done this to him?" part will probably never be answered. At least in a rational or intelligible way, as such an answer couldn't possibly exist.

Man pleads not guilty to kidnapping, holding man for two weeks in Knox Co.
    WKYT (Lexington, KY)
    5/4/2017

Arrest Made In February Kidnapping Case
    WLEX-18 (Lexington, KY)
    5/2/2017

10. AzPistonsGirl

AzPistonsGirl New Member

wow, I am bumping this because I know there are people that will want to know about this man and what happened. And of course, there are still a lot of questions that may go unasked and unanswered and that's ok too. The inhumanity is just baffling. May Mr. Middleton still find things that bring him joy and laughter every day, no matter how small.

11. bflocket

bflocket Active Member

I skimmed over the headlines while looking over the Lexington news and skipped reading the stories because I didn't know they were about this guy. There's been a lot of meth/opiate addicts doing dumb things to each other lately and I assumed that was what the stories were about.

I was kind of surprised to learn these new details. I thought that "mentally challenged man found alive after wandering around Knox County for weeks" sounded a bit weird.
    But all of the stories from when he was found seemed to all be saying that he was found and was safe and everything is A-OK.

At least we now know that someone did indeed harm him and that they will (hopefully) be severely punished for what everything they did to him.

I wonder if they were trying to weasel disability money out of him. Keeping a disabled guy captive in a shed in winter just doesn't make sense. I wanna see what the dude's excuse/reasoning is. I can't think of a single thing.

12. bflocket

bflocket Active Member

This is a story that I found from WKYT's "sister station" (WYMT) in Hazard that covers the mountain areas of Eastern KY. They often have similar stories on both of them, but occasionally one will say a tidbit more about "this" and the other will have a tidbit more about "that."

Not really much new info, but his aunt notes how all of this BS has changed him.

And it says that his nickname is "Bub," which I thought was kind of cute. I don't know how common of a nickname is, but it made me think of the friendly/smart zombie in Day of the Dead that tries to shave and knows how to load a gun.

Man pleads not guilty to keeping man in woods until his legs had to be removed
    WYMT-57 (Hazard, KY)
    5/4/2017
    Everyone involved in the poor fellow's ordeal needs to get everything that the law can throw at them.

I hope the perpetrators were having some kind of meth-induced psychosis leading up to this.
    It's scary to think that two or more "everyday people you pass on the street" could just get together, plan and then carry out such a strange and sadistic crime.

What they did to him just doesn't make a bit of sense any way you could possibly look at it. Even if you look at it as though the kidnappers had profound mental illness. WHY?

13. bflocket

bflocket Active Member

Judge denies Knox County kidnapping suspect's bond request
    WKYT (Lexington, KY)
    5/9/2017

14. Tealgrove

Tealgrove Active Member

Wow! I'm afraid of the answer to why?