PARENTS KILLED AMBER ALERT ISSUED FOR 13-YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER
---
POLICE NEED PUBLIC'S HELP IN FINDING MISSING AND PREGNANT KIERRA COLES

KY - Faith Callahan, 18, raped & murdered, Louisville, 9 Jan 1969

Discussion in 'Past Trial Discussion Threads' started by bflocket, Sep 6, 2014.

1. bflocket

bflocket Well-Known Member

Kentucky court denies appeal in 45-year-old case

I saw this story this morning and have been looking into it. I found a little about the murder, but many of my search results were from somewhere that needed a subscription (i.e. newspaperarchives.com, the archives of individual newspapers or e-books).

The e-book I found, Book of Leroy (Lee Creek, 2013), claims his innocence (per the synopsis) and goes over his life in prison.

(synopsis from Amazon)

2. bflocket

This is a slightly more detailed story about his appeal being denied. Oddly enough, it is from a CT newspaper. It is the same as one in the Lexington newspaper (Lexington Herald Leader) but it needs a subcription.

Kentucky court denies appeal in 45-year-old case

3. bflocket

There are a few articles about Death Row that mention Fryrear. That is because he was sentenced to death shortly before Furman vs. Georgia (1972), which basically stopped the Death Penalty for a few years.

Besides the execution matter, as noted by the judge who denied the appeal, the sentencing guidelines for rape changed. When he was convicted, you could get Life Without Parole (or Death?) for rape, which is no longer the case. That was a big part of his appeal.

This is the only story I've found (thus far) about the actual crime. It's short enough that I am including a snip and the link.

Man Held In Rape-Slaying (Kentucky New Era, Hopkinsville, Ky, 1/13/1969)

fryrear 1969.JPG

*** If anyone has access to e-books or some kind of Kindle subscription...

Please check up on the "innocent" aspect of the book (Book of Leroy, Creek, 2013) and elaborate if any of it rings true. For the moment, I'm just a broke boy in Kentucky and don't really want to pay for any info at the time being. I understand his argument about the sentence, but haven't found anything else that mentions the "innocence" part.

4. bflocket

I found a website (Smashwords) that has snippets/previews of Book of Leroy.

Here is the first page, which has a map with the homes of various players marked. You can navigate the book below the text
    http://www.smashwords.com/extreader/read/295790/9/book-of-leroy

5. bflocket

Apparently rape was not a Capital offense in Kentucky. I'm not sure about the "Life Without Parole" though.

Ruling On Rape May Be A Blessing (Kentucky New Era, Hopkinsville, Ky, 7/29/1977)

KY rape.JPG