KY KY - Grant Co., WhtMale UP86, 25-35, GSW, hands cut off, in barn, Apr'89

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by vadersbabe, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Susikatze

Susikatze Well-Known Member

Probably an indication of German descent, that usually shows as high amount of "Baltic" admix in Gedmatch. Does not normally mean the person was Latvian, Estonian or Lithuanian.

2. coffeeandacig

coffeeandacig Well-Known Member

It would not surprise me if a great number of Pennsylvania Dutch have "Baltic" admix. Historic Baltic Germans were very religious, some living in areas that were once owned by the Holy See. Also, having one's hands cut off really reminds me of ol'timey justice. Makes me think this could be a guy from the Amish country of Pennsylvania, Indiana or Ohio.

carbuff, YaYa_521, djanga and 2 others like this.
  3. djanga

djanga Well-Known Member

I am waiting for his FTDNA to be added to the spreadsheet, at the moment the status is "Not uploaded to Family Tree DNA", I wonder why, as his highest match on Gedmatch is only 37.3 cM.

YaYa_521 and MadMcGoo like this.
  4. GJKJR

GJKJR Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if he had some German descent either given those results. I'm about 75% German (specifically, PA Dutch) - along with 1/8 Slovene and 1/8 British and Welsh, mind you - and the Eurogenes K13 admixture calculator on GEDMatch scores me at about 25% Baltic ancestry, despite me not knowing of any ancestors that came from the Baltic region.
    eurogenes k13.PNG
    Grant County John Doe looks to have about 1/3 Baltic ancestry here, eyeballing it.
    grant.jpg
    His specific mix, though, is almost surely much different than mine considering he looks to have much more Mediterranean ancestry and much less North Atlantic ancestry than me. Not too familiar with how admixtures would align with particular ethnic groups, admittedly, but is it possible that Grant County John Doe could have some Italian or Eastern European ancestry as well to account for the difference?

5. djanga

djanga Well-Known Member

Joan has posted the explanation why some of the cases were not added to the FTDNA. Grant Co John Doe sadly is one of these cases. I believe in his case it can be either due to the fact that it costs DDP 700 $ to upload each case to the FTDNA and he is a DDP fund case or he has been already identified (which I doubt). There can be other reasons as well.

6. MadMcGoo

MadMcGoo Well-Known Member

I feel there’s nothing more I can do to help return your name to you now, but I know you’re in great hands. I feel we will call you by name soon. That will be a wonderful day!

YaYa_521, Suglo, annemc2 and 5 others like this.
  7. CarrieMe

CarrieMe Active Member

Ok, I have mulled this over for several months. I have tried to find any next of kin, any family, any footprint of this man. I've even reached out to see if DNA Doe had his last name on their radar. Could Grant County Doe be Martin Baccaglio? He fits and hasn't been seen since the 1980s.

Attached Files:

8. bombardier

bombardier Well-Known Member

Has Martin actually not been seen/been reported as missing or can you just not find any info about him publicly available online? If he's stayed under the radar since he finished his professional career I don't blame him! I'm interested into what made you look into this guy and what you've found out, if its okay I'd like to know more about why you think he could be missing :)

YaYa_521, Ajaygee11 and MadMcGoo like this.
  9. CarrieMe

CarrieMe Active Member

I've tried to find him, his family or any acquaintances over several months. I have friends within the Bengals franchise but haven't heard anything back. Greg Cook was a personal friend of mine but he passed a few years ago. Where Grant County John Doe was found is only 3 exits south of where most Bengals players buy homes, for the past four decades.

10. CarrieMe

CarrieMe Active Member

It's just a hunch. I just want to check every avenue.

11. MadMcGoo

I’m interested in this as well. For a couple of reasons. Martin should be in a database if he is officially still missing. And, I can see a resemblance between him and our KY UID. I’m not real good at determining if people are actually “missing” if they aren’t listed somewhere as missing, but I have access to databases/sites I don’t mind searching. Just let me know how I can help. Feel free to private message me if you don’t feel comfortable posting publicly.

YaYa_521 and Ajaygee11 like this.
  12. ntt1

ntt1 Well-Known Member

As per public records he is still alive and in San Jose, California.

13. MadMcGoo

Thank goodness!!

and thank you for looking into this!

Otterly, YaYa_521, Ajaygee11 and 2 others like this.
  14. CarrieMe

CarrieMe Active Member

Thanks for finding him!

MadMcGoo, Ajaygee11 and Feme98 like this.
  15. onceuponadecember

onceuponadecember Well-Known Member

I'm a small statistics and genealogy nerd, it looks like that West Asian might've been a second or third great grandparents worth.

Tabirey and MadMcGoo like this.
  16. onceuponadecember

I feel like this case is going to be harder for DDP considering the low match # and the probable West Asian link.

Tabirey, bombardier and MadMcGoo like this.
  17. MadMcGoo

It just occurred to me that he hasn’t met his Doe Fund Me goal, yet he is currently in the research phase. Maybe someone here can explain what that means exactly. Is him having not reached the goal delaying progress?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    Tabirey likes this.
  18. onceuponadecember

Maybe they haven't updated his page yet, IDK?

19. houndpounder

houndpounder Well-Known Member

Perhaps they started their research based on the 20% funding they have received to date for his case.

20. JovanSrna

JovanSrna Well-Known Member

Margaret mentioned in a Facebook comment that this means there are outstanding lab costs in such cases.