KY KY - Grant Co., WhtMale UP86, 30-39, GSW, hands cut off, in barn, Apr'89

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by vadersbabe, Jul 8, 2008.

1. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

Rape happens everywhere, but there don't seem to be all that many cases where youngish men are raped and murdered. And most of them are serial killers, like Corll in Texas etc.

MadMcGoo likes this.

2. MadMcGoo

MadMcGoo Well-Known Member

**GRAPHIC POSTMORTEM photo attached**

I decided to “Occam's Razor” my search efforts today and look through local LE websites for possible MP matches. I really think could be our Doe! for several reasons; IMO, the stats all fit. “No foul play is suspected” usually indicates to me that there is definitely foul play involved or the MP left of their own accord. I think both apply here but one after the other - he left of his own accord and shortly thereafter met with foul play.

The teeth. They look very similar in both men. The eyebrows, identical. So is the chin and nose IMO. The ears look different to me but this poor guy also sustained a significant amount of trauma to his face and head. The eye color. Based on the reconstruction of the UID posted on NamUs and the conflicting reports, ‘brown but could be blue’, I think his eyes very well could have been light (hazel is confusing even in a living person).

I compared the photos more in depth but I’m just attaching the photos that may not be as disturbing for some people. It is worth it to use the actual postmortem photo if you want to compare them for yourself IMO. The angle and positioning of the UID make it a bit more difficult but the similarities are there.

Henry Richard Eubank, Jr.
    71A6B5BA-6721-4AB8-B5B3-2EC205FECBE7.jpeg 397BCC07-270B-44DF-B6A7-A6C8EACC7319.jpeg 822C4C64-34B2-4C5D-AE12-EF85FA4FC598.jpeg
    Louisville - June 15, 1988 (Jan. 1990 / PMI days)
    - 33 years old (25-40)
    - 5’7-5’9” (5’0”-5’7”)
    - 160-165 lbs (125-140 lbs.)
    - Light brown hair (medium brown)
    - Hazel eyes (brown or blue)
    - Henry Eubank was reported missing by his mother on June 15, 1988. At the time of the report, he was 33 years old and was in regular contact with his mother. Her last contact with him was on May 19, 1988. After not hearing from him, she contacted the LMPD and reported him missing.

Henry Eubank is described as a white male, 5 foot 8 inches in height, weighing 160 pounds. His hair is described as light brown in color and collar length. He may have facial hair, consisting of a beard. The clothing he was last wearing is unknown. He is reported to always wear a pair of brown suede tennis shoes. He also wears prescription eye glasses.

Eubank is a talented musician who can play many instruments. He graduated from Jeffersonville High School in Jeffersonville, Indiana and later joined the Air Force. There is no foul play suspected at this time.

As always, these are just my theories and opinions.

Attached Files:

carbuff likes this.
  3. MadMcGoo

re: Henry
    additional info... I also don’t see a thread for him! :(
    Henry Richard “Junior” Eubank, Jr (1955-1988) -...

carbuff likes this.
  4. carbuff

The Lighthouse at that address is a wellness center and/or massage therapy place. Don't know if that's what it was in 1989.

I did find out that there are several real lighthouses in Kentucky: Lighthouses of the U.S.: Kentucky

There are also fake lighthouses at the Waterfront Plaza in Louisville Images of Waterfront Plaza I | Images | EMPORIS Look closely and you can see them on top of the two towers.

I doubt if any of this is relevant but I thought it was fun to know.

5. GJKJR

GJKJR Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    April 11, 1989. The Courier-Journal, Louisville, Kentucky.

mrsselig and MadMcGoo like this.
  6. MadMcGoo

7. MadMcGoo

Oh Mr. Coolaid! :oops::( I’ve really messed up here, my friend! A big piece of humble pie. *sigh*

POSTS #42, 43, & 44 on this thread DO NOT PERTAIN to UP86 rather UPeighty-seven!

I don’t suppose there’s a way to correct this is there? I feel awful. I should have paid more attention...

Edited to remove the keyword. Ugh, sorry guys!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    GJKJR likes this.
  8. GJKJR

GJKJR Well-Known Member

You could report the post for being on the wrong thread, maybe? You're fine, we all have those days/mix things up sometimes. Part of the journey of being a human, I guess. As long as you realize it and address it instead of ignoring it, or something like that.

carbuff and MadMcGoo like this.
  9. JovanSrna

JovanSrna Well-Known Member

The DNA Doe Project is now involved with this case!

10. MadMcGoo

YOU HEAR THAT MR. COOLAID?!?! You’re gonna get your name back sooooooon!!!!!

Melt71 likes this.
  11. MadMcGoo

This question may have an obvious answer but I’m curious... When DDP becomes involved is it safe to assume the person we’re looking for is not in any of the missing person databases??

ETA: Also, according to The Doe Network, our guy had “insufficient DNA for profiling”. What does that mean in terms of what DDP is doing?

12. ntt1

ntt1 Active Member

That probably means they couldn't extract enough for an STR profile. The type of extraction/profile that genetic genealogy requires requires much more genetic info than STR profiles, so it should be interesting to see if they can extract enough.

From Genetics extends the long arm of the law

MadMcGoo and carbuff like this.
  13. carbuff

It also means they can use different techniques to get bits and pieces of DNA and build up a sample--since they're not looking for the parts that make an individual but rather the parts that are shared by kin groups, they can use a broader range of tools and put together results from different sources. I think most of the techniques used for this sort of extraction are similar to the ones used in paleontology.

Melt71 and MadMcGoo like this.
  14. Liv27

Liv27 Well-Known Member

There's been a lot of new technology that has recently come out for extraction work even in the last year. If they can get an extraction off of Joseph Newton Chandler's old tissue sample, I am sure they can do something for Grant Co. Doe. DDP is amazing.

MadMcGoo and victoriarobinson642 like this.
  15. MadMcGoo

Oh thank you! Great article by the way!

I really can’t wait for us to have a name to put to this face!

16. Melt71

Melt71 Well-Known Member

I’m so glad DDP have this one. I can’t help but think that the perp cut off his hands because ID of the UID would lead to ID or the murderer. I hope we see an ID and a conviction.

carbuff and MadMcGoo like this.
  17. MadMcGoo

Look at this missing person who was recently added to NamUs!!

Arnold Joseph Epel MP65338
    371253B4-DC40-4B3A-9C9D-DC86FDC57F33.jpeg D86D19FC-8C65-4EDE-BC37-BF5BB412E53D.jpeg
    - Miami, Florida
    - January 19, 1989
    (April 9, 1989; PMI days-weeks)
    - 25 years old (25-40)
    - 5’9” - 5’11” (6’4”-6’5”)
    - 160-170 lbs (220)
    - Brown hair & eyes (brown & unknown)
    - Mr. Arnold Epel left a note for his family, leaving instructions on how to handle his belongings and property. He has not been seen or heard from since.

I know his listed height and weight are off, but he looks (at least) taller than what it says he is, in the photo of him with the baby...

I’m really curious what that note said! I found a few New York court records with his name, but nothing else (ETA: these records are not for him, that was just all that came up when I first searched!)... is he a possible match?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  18. MadMcGoo

I second all that!!!

19. MadMcGoo

Still searching for info on Arnold. Found a 1980 South Miami High School yearbook photo of him... I see more of a resemblance!
    350EC368-780B-40F3-9110-BCCA2FA346FC.jpeg

Attached Files:

20. carbuff

Sure could be. I think the chins are quite different, but I don't rule out from photos any more.

If you go with +/- 3" on height, the top of the missing person's height range does overlap with the bottom of the UID's estimated height.

victoriarobinson642 and MadMcGoo like this.