KY KY- James “Jim” Duckett, 43, former military police, tortured to death, Shelbyville, 11/10/2008

dotr

Reaction score
COLD CASE ON THE DEATH OF JAMES “JIM” DUCKETT – kentuckystatepolice.org
james_Duckett.jpg

''Kentucky State Police Request Help Resolving James “Jim” Duckett Death
On 11/10/2008, James “Jim” Duckett was located deceased in his residence on Rockbridge Road in Shelbyville, KY. Mr. Duckett had been tied to a chair and had suffered multiple stab wounds.
If you have any information regarding this murder please contact Lt. Todd Harwood at Post 12. : Investigations Lt. Todd.harwood or by phone at 1-502-227-2221''

Family still without answers 11 months after brother's murder
WFLKXSGAAVDDLL6ZRZ4EGTCOKI.jpg

James Duckett's truck (Photo courtesy: Kentucky State Police

''When she stepped inside her brother's home, Katherine says she lost her breath. His beloved cowboy boots were on the floor, and his dead body was just steps away.

"I know it was a couple of seconds, but it felt like a lifetime," Katherine said. "You're just standing there. It's an image you never ... it's something you never get out of your mind."

Police say Duckett was tied up and tortured before he was killed. His truck was stolen but recovered later in the day. Surveillance video from the Shelbyville Fifth Third Bank shows someone using Duckett's ATM card, but so far police have not made any arrests.

Now, 11 months later, Katherine says her life is still upside down, and she still wonders if a stranger on the street was involved in her brother's murder. And she says she has spent a lot of sleepless nights thinking about the person or persons responsible for her brother's murder.''

''The family remembers Duckett as a man who was a people pleaser, with a great sense of humor. He was a Doss High graduate, a father and an army veteran.

"He was in the military police," Katherine said. "He did do Desert Storm and when he joined he went to D.C. and was in Ronald Reagan's Old Guard."

''Duckett's niece - who happens to have a Masters in Justice Administration - says she won't stop trying to trigger the public's memory about Jim's truck and the night of the murder.

"It was a very loud truck," Brittney said, describing the Dodge Ram pickup that Duckett's killer took the night of his death. "It was new. It had temporary plates. It was unseasonably warm that night, and it was the night of Light Up Shelbyville."

I feel so sad for James Duckett's family/friends. Thirteen years and no answers... no justice... a killer is still roaming free.

"Her brother's death has, rightfully, changed Nichols' life. She created a group for family and friends of those who were killed, Kentuckians' Voice for Crime Victims, and continues to work to find answers. She said she continues to think about her brother, desperate to get closure."

Family searches for answers 10 years after veteran's murder in Kentucky | whas11.com

Persimmonpluot posted a comparison between Jim Ducketts's murder and the Al Kite murder in Aurora Colorado in 5/22/04. The two cases are very similar and I agree it is likely that same killer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unresolved..._oakey_al_kites_killer_murder_a_kentucky_man/

1. Both men tortured with knife cuts
2. Both men were bound
3. Both men's vehicles were stolen to drive to ATM to steal money from their accounts but the killer wore a ski mask to obscure his face.
4. The killer was evidence aware in both cases
5. The killer in the Kite murder beat the soles of Al's feet. Jim Duckett's killer had the chair tipped but police have not said if his feet were also beaten but his sister did say his cowboy boots were on the floor of the house.
6. Both murder scenes were bloody
7. The men were both left in small rooms in the houses. Al Kite was left in a small basement room. Jim Duckett was left in a bathroom.

Wondering if there are any pics of the stolen jewelry, maybe they have turned up somewhere?
2019 rbbm.
Family searches for answers 10 years after veteran's murder in Kentucky | whas11.com
''After spending years in the military, Jim Duckett settled down in Shelbyville. A former crime scene investigator in Germany, he moved to be near his sister and her family.

"He moved to Shelbyville because of me," Nichols said. "He moved here to help my husband and I with our children because of my work schedule."

Duckett lived a quiet life. He owned a rescued a lab mix named Beau. By his sister's account, he was one of the kindest people she'd ever known.

Around the time of his death, Nichols said she knew something was unusual. Duckett had mentioned wanting to move. His house had been robbed on Halloween, his jewelry was taken.''

Anyone with information is asked to contact Kentucky State Police Post 12 at 502-227-2221.

“I ask people to do the right thing," Nichols said. "My brother did not deserve this.”

Last edited:
Persimmonpluot posted a comparison between Jim Ducketts's murder and the Al Kite murder in Aurora Colorado in 5/22/04. The two cases are very similar and I agree it is likely that same killer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unresolved..._oakey_al_kites_killer_murder_a_kentucky_man/

1. Both men tortured with knife cuts
2. Both men were bound
3. Both men's vehicles were stolen to drive to ATM to steal money from their accounts but the killer wore a ski mask to obscure his face.
4. The killer was evidence aware in both cases
5. The killer in the Kite murder beat the soles of Al's feet. Jim Duckett's killer had the chair tipped but police have not said if his feet were also beaten but his sister did say his cowboy boots were on the floor of the house.
6. Both murder scenes were bloody
7. The men were both left in small rooms in the houses. Al Kite was left in a small basement room. Jim Duckett was left in a bathroom.
Interesting, posting to keep this Jim D killer guy in mind...fwiw, speculation.
UNKNOWN SUSPECT - UNSOLVED HOMICIDE - AURORA, COLORADO | Federal Bureau of Investigation
preview

Hair Brown or Black
Eyes Brown or Hazel
Height 5'10"
Weight 170 -180 pounds
Complexion Fair/Very Fair
Sex Male
Race White

''Remarks:

Possibly the suspect has an Eastern European accent.

Details:
On May 25, 2004, the body of 53-year-old Oakey Albert "Al" Kite, Jr. was discovered in the basement of his residence in Aurora, CO. Kite had been bound, beaten, tortured, and stabbed.

Kite’s wallet and cell phone were taken from the scene. An unidentified male attempted to use his debit card at an ATM following the murder. Surveillance video from the ATM shows a male wearing a ski mask driving Kite’s pickup truck, which was later recovered near Kite’s residence. Kite’s cell phone was discovered in a pay phone booth.

A male who rented a room from Kite prior to his murder is the primary suspect in this case. The renter, who identified himself as "Robert Cooper," claimed to be from the East Coast and to work for Wells Fargo Bank. He provided false identification and contact information on his rental application. Witnesses generally described the suspect male as white, in his forties or fifties, 5’10", 170 to 180 pounds, with black or brown hair. Witnesses reported that he walked with a limp and used a cane, and another reported that he spoke with a possible Romanian accent.'

2019 rbbm
"We think that the person or persons...sought him out specifically," Napier said. "We don’t think that this was a random act of violence that could have been anybody. We think that they specifically sought after James Duckett."
During the initial investigation, police found that the killer not only stole Duckett's truck, but they drove it to his bank and used his ATM card to withdraw from his account.
"His house is way out in the country and instead of going to any ATM, they drove from his house all the way across town to his ATM," Nichols said. "I mean you can go to any ATM and withdraw money, but they went to his."

''As the investigation into his death continued, investigators took DNA from the scene, hoping to get a lead. When the DNA came back two years later, Nichols said police told her it could around four months to get an arrest.''

'Nichols said she believes the murder was revenge, and that people in the town know what happened.
“They always say there’s three reasons for murder, and its revenge, greed or jealousy. His was revenge," Nichols said. "There are people in this town that know -- they have information and they won’t come forward. That's what kills me."

"Jim Duckett's case has been unsolved for over 10 years. People with information that could lead to his killer could receive a $25,000 reward.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Kentucky State Police Post 12 at 502-227-2221.
Get a Behind-the-Scenes look at Jim Duckett's story here.

'Nov 7, 2011
Kentucky State Police are looking for information in the 2008 slaying of Jim Duckett.'

Last edited:
I feel so sad for James Duckett's family/friends. Thirteen years and no answers... no justice... a killer is still roaming free.

"Her brother's death has, rightfully, changed Nichols' life. She created a group for family and friends of those who were killed, Kentuckians' Voice for Crime Victims, and continues to work to find answers. She said she continues to think about her brother, desperate to get closure."

According to the article, there was DNA and it was 'processed' but nothing came of it....

If it was a poor sample (seems that there should be plenty of it, given the scene), OTHRAM should be asked if they can improve it to be useful.

If it was submitted to matching (back then, local LE may not have done this) and there was no match, CeCe Moore should be asked to do her 'detective work' on it....after the current databases are re-checked.

"Nichols said when the investigation began, detectives were able to take DNA from evidence. It took over two years to get the DNA back, and detectives told her she'd have some answers soon. She heard nothing."

Last edited:
What exactly would the killing be revenge for? I would sooner say greed. Steal the ATM, extract from the victim the PIN number and take the truck. It is disturbing what one person will do to another for insignificant amounts of money.

I would think he knew the perpetrator and he had some level of trust. The guy doesn't strike me as someone a criminal would look at and think easy target.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
?Unicorn/Fkboi?
Back