KY KY - James Cable And Philip Clopton - Murdered And Dismembered Teen Girls

Discussion in 'Serial Killers' started by bflocket, Jun 7, 2018.

1. bflocket

bflocket Well-Known Member

I'd posted about these sickos on a thread about a (male) UID found near Owensboro, KY. I will try to get those links onto this thread. I didn't realize that they didn't already have one.

I've wondered (for quite a while, actually) whether any of the girls involved are still "missing." Some of the body parts that were found were apparently identified, but I don't know if they were ID'ed as either of the two girls mentioned by name to be suspected (definite) victims of the two. And I don't know if the heroine of their story was ever mentioned by name. She'd been through Hell and back, so I don't blame her for not wanting to be named.

Here's what I posted on the other thread:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018

2. bflocket

I don't think what I quoted from the other thread copy/paste'ed right. Both links are still up, but the Larue County Herald News is one of those sites where you can only look at a few stories before it wants you to pay.

I still don't know whether Bridget Allen and Sherry Wilson are still "missing" (though they were definitely killed and dismembered by Clopton and Cable). I can't find them on any MP websites.
    At least one of their Louisville victims was found and identified. At least part of them. I just don't know if it was either Allen or Wilson. If it wasn't, I've never been able to find out who the ID'ed one was. It's kind of "iffy" since they might not publicize it since they were all underage runaways.

And Cable is in prison for their murders. The "heroine" I mentioned wiggled her way out of chains/rope and blew Clopton's brains out with his shotgun.

I've searched as good as I can, but I know that there are probably a few stories on Newspapers.com, and I don't have a subscription. Can anybody find out?

I used to hang out where I knew that they'd found "some girl's hands" (and saw one of the biggest turtles this side of a zoo there) but I didn't really know the extent of how sick these killers truly were back then. I was high on boredom and Busch Light sitting on that low-water bridge in those days.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    watcher9 likes this.
  3. bflocket

1990 COLD CASE: MISSING CHILD/RUNAWAY: BRIDGET ALLEN
    The story this relates to (on WHAS) is no longer available.
    JAMES RAY CABLE v. COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
    This has some details about the story, but it is mostly related to Cable trying to get out of the pen. I actually knew the judge mentioned here. His widow does my mom's hair.

watcher9, creepcrusher and silverjug like this.
  4. bflocket

This story has a lot of info, but it is from one of those "look at more than a couple articles... PAY ME!" websites.
    I don't wanna get in "copyright" trouble by quoting too much of, but I'll attach the story that I've saved... It's complete but looks a little messy.

It notes that Bridgett Allen (her arm) was identified as being a "found" victim, found at the place I know of as "the hands." So there must still be at least one victim that is missing. Still not sure whether any of Sherry Wilson's remains were found or not.
    But if I'm putting it together right in my head, I don't think that there are still any unidentified remains.

Death of a serial killer: James Ray Cable
    The News-Enterprise
    (Elizabethtown, KY)
    12/15/2013

Attached Files:

5. buckeye05

buckeye05 Member

What is the original thread regarding the UID Owensboro male? Would like more info on that case.

bflocket likes this.
  6. bflocket

I'll have to look for it. I'll let you know. It should be in my history somewhere.

7. buckeye05

buckeye05 Member

Thanks! Reading more on these guys, particularly James Cable. He is linked to 6 murders, and from what I have gathered, may be responsible for a total of 8 murders. I put together a little timeline:

-April 1977: Cable's first known murder. He beat a fellow inmate to death with a horseshoe while imprisoned for rape. Received an extra 1o years.

-June 9, 1982: 18 year old Sandra Gail Kellems was sexually assaulted and beaten to death by Cable while walking to meet with friends. Her body was dumped in a vacant lot at 12th and Sweeney in Owensboro. Cable was out on parole at the time and was later linked to this case by DNA.

-Date Unknown: Cable may be linked to the murder of an unidentified male who was dumped near Owensboro. I need more information regarding this particular case.

-Dec. 10, 1986: The body of Oma Marie Bird, 26, found in an alley in the 1000 block of Dixie Highway in Louisville. She was partially clothed and had suffered a blow to the head. Cable was out on parole at the time and was later linked to this case by DNA.

-May 11, 1989: The body of 24 year old Helen V. Booth was found in Riverside Park at 3900 Lees Lane in Louisville. Cable had raped her and hit her in the head with a sharp object. Cable was out on parole at the time, and was later linked to this case via DNA.

-March 1990: 39 year old Mary Lucinda Strange, a resident of Nelson County, was stabbed to death while walking along Clarktown Rd. Cable is not officially linked to this murder, but it fits the time frame and geographic location. A 14 year old girl was also raped in this area around this time.

-April 1990: Clopton and Cable abduct, murder, and dismember Bridget Allen and Sherri Wilson, scattering their remains in surrounding areas of LaRue, Nelson and Hardin counties. Third victim, KLT, survived after shooting Clopton and escaping.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    bflocket likes this.
  8. buckeye05

buckeye05 Member

Correction regarding the potential male victim:

-January 1990: The nude body of an identified white male (known as Daviess County John Doe) was found by hunters in a briar thicket along Pleasant Valley Road outside of Owensboro. He suffered blunt force trauma to the head, disfiguring his face, and his hands and feet were cut off. He had also been shot multiple times. While not officially linked to this murder, Cable's name did come up in the investigation. Cable had ties to Owensboro, and was involved in a double homicide that involved dismemberment during this same time frame.

bflocket likes this.
  9. bflocket

Here's the page on the Owensboro murder that relate to Cable and/or Clopton:
    KY KY - Owensboro, WhtMale UP87, 25-40, in woods off Pleasant Valley Rd, Jan'90

I'm doubt that Strange's murder was connected to Clopton/Cable. She was a little old for them to go after. As I recall, she was found along side the road and it was suspected that she was a hit-and-run victim while she was out jogging. Until they found the stab wounds... I was in about the fifth grade then and I haven't heard much "new" news about her death.

The cross marking where she was found is literally right in front of some of my friends' house.

Her murder is one of the older unsolved cases in my area. There are actually quite a few recent unsolved murders around here that started with the shooting of Officer Jason Ellis. They continued with the disappearance of Crystal (Ballard) Rogers (girlfriend of a cop), her father and a local mother/daughter (the Netherlands).

10. bflocket

I wonder if the rape victim mentioned was related to Cable/Clopton. Could it have been the survivor that got away?

As the bird flies, their camp was about 12-or-so miles south of where Mrs Strange lived and was killed. But there are plenty of hills/knobs there, so the driving distance would be a bit longer (about 20+/- miles).

11. bflocket

OK... Here's a copy of a news story in a Google forum. I am not sure where the story originally came from. Perhaps the Courier Journal in Louisville (though the name of the paper was mentioned, so maybe not). Or maybe a small town KY paper. It's just not noted.

The article concerns Cable being tied to some murders via DNA. It has a decent and detailed run-down of his life, but there is at least one major incorrect fact. They say that their campsite was in Hart County. It was in Larue County, just across the (Rolling Fork) river from Nelson County.

DNA Solves Three Kentucky Murders From 80's

This story is also a reprint of a story that I didn't find on the original newspaper's website

System lags in 1982 Kellams murder
    Messenger-Inquirer
    (Owensboro, KY???)
    4/30/2010

12. lee1969

lee1969 New Member

hey guys im new ..my name is lee ball i live in owensboro ky and in 1982 i was like 12 years old and my mother was married to ray cable i remember when everything you guys talk about went down the cops came and arrested him at our house....so anything you guy want to know fill free to ask....

dulldullmike, Nancy19XX and bflocket like this.
  13. justiceforhelen

justiceforhelen New Member

Helen Booth was my older sister. I am finally ready to hear the whole truth about her murder. If anyone has any information specifically about her please contact me

Nancy19XX and bflocket like this.
  14. bflocket

It was one of my posts that mentioned your sister. I was (and am still) frustrated about some newspapers being easy and free to search through some aren’t.

There is a website somehow connected to UK where I (very accidentally) found a detailed story about the murder of someone I went to school with. The problem is, my computer crashed sometime in 12/2019 and I’m using my phone now. So I don’t have any of the history or bookmarks at present.

Here is a thread that I actually started about a UID near me with practically no identifying info on NamUS. But somebody found links that tied this victim to Clopton/Cable. I either couldn’t find anything linking this to Clopton/Cable or it was hidden in a news archive that you have to pay for.
    I haven’t had the chance to look over the new info I’m talking about yet, mostly due to me not being used to getting on the internet via phone. I’m really just stunned that somebody found some useful info.
    Ky - Marion County Uid, 20 November 1990

Nancy19XX likes this.
  15. bflocket

The human remains found in southern Nelson County, near the farm of Crystal Rogers' boyfriend's (main suspect) family are NOT Crystal. I suspected that, since it was taking a while for them to update us. I'm sure that the data (DNA, etc) related to Crystal has been waiting for something like this to happen and they should have been able to rule it in/out pretty quickly.

I wonder if the bones could be any of the girls that Clopton/Cable killed that haven't been located or ID'ed. I wish there was more info about the bones. The only thing we really know about them is that they are from an adult female (20's-to-85[?!?]) and it's not Crystal.

The bones that were found recently were found approximately just above the red "2220(11)" near the "MARION" label on the right side of the Nelson/Marion border. The girl that escaped was held captive across the river around where the red "878(11)" near the bottom left side of the map. She made it to the Howardstown store (now long closed) so she was tied up somewhere across Rolling Fork and a little south of Howardstown, as that's where Wayne-Ennis Road in Larue County.

The above explanations are from the "snip" I made of one of the Nelson Co maps. I tried to include a map of the whole county for reference. You should be able to guesstimate where those things are on the map of the whole county. Or I hope so.

Attached Files:

Earth likes this.