KY KY - Juanita Ritchie, 38, Dwarf, 1 Nov 1966

Discussion in '1960's Missing' started by Irish_Eyes, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Irish_Eyes

Irish_Eyes Active Member

2. Loading...

3. Cincinnati Kid

Cincinnati Kid New Member

You really hope that this brings some closure for the family after all of these years. Just a couple of questions. Why was the Kentucky State Police involved in the initial investigation rather than the Perry County Sheriff's Office? In all respect to the family, why didn't they put pressure put on the K.S.P. for not doing more about this at the time? Someone from K.S.P. making a couple of phone calls and writing a letter for a missing mother of six? That's just simple desk work and pretty weak.

4. nerosleuth

nerosleuth Active Member

Back then most rural county sheriff offices in Kentucky only had a sheriff and a couple of deputies in their department.

They didn't have the kind of resources, such as detectives, crime lab, or manpower that the Kentucky State Police had.

The Kentucky State Police had statewide jurisdiction and county sheriff offices only had jurisdiction in their own county.

Years ago in Kentucky, most local law enforcement agencies in Kentucky didn't take a missing person report if the missing person was an adult on account that an adult was old enough to go anywhere they wanted and there wasn't anything they could do about it if an adult went missing.

That's why there is an awful lot of adult folks in Kentucky that haven't been reported as missing by local law enforcement agencies years ago.

They're not listed as missing on any missing persons databases, and they are still missing to this day.

5. Cincinnati Kid

Cincinnati Kid New Member

Thank you for the information.

In questioning the jurisdiction of the KSP over the county sheriff, I noted that Juanita Ritchie lived in Perry County and the last place she was seen was in that county as well. As such, I was reminded of the disappearance of Melanie Flynn some years later in Lexington. In the book that I read about that, it noted the KSP did not have immediate jurisdiction to be involved and the initial investigation was handled by Lexington Metro Police. KSP later became involved in the case after Ms. Flynn's purse was found along the Kentucky River near Camp Nelson.

You do hope something now comes of this matter after all of these years.

6. hayaletcatcher

hayaletcatcher Active Member

7. 4SAM

4SAM Kentucky - Texas - Kansas - Missouri

Seems that with technology and such, that another better search can be done on the well. I have read about this case elsewhere and it is always in the back of my mind for some reason.

8. Owutatangledweb

Owutatangledweb Well-Known Member

Isn't there a case of an unidentified woman found in a well in Ohio? I don't remember the year found or exact location. Could it be near where Juanita went missing over the boarder? Can't think of the case name. There's a thread on Websleuths.

9. nerosleuth

nerosleuth Active Member

Yes there is a case of an unidentified woman that was found in a well in Lawrence County, Ohio in April 1981. That case is known as the Belle in the Well.

Her body was found a few days before Buckskin Girl was also found in April 1981 in Miami County, Ohio.

Here is the link to the Websleuths thread Belle in the Well:

OH - Dobbstown, 'Belle in the Well' WhtFem UP6259, 30-60, in cistern, Apr'81

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...he-Well-WhtFem-UP6259-30-60-in-cistern-Apr-81

The area where Juanita Ritchie went missing in November 1966 is 128 miles from where the body of the unidentified woman was found in a well in April 1981.

10. Owutatangledweb

Owutatangledweb Well-Known Member

Thanks Nerosleuth! Good to see you. Haven't seen you in awhile. Can always count on your good memory. Unlike my CRS memory. :(

11. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 Well-Known Member