KY KY - Kathy, 48, & Samantha Netherland, 16, Botland, 21 Apr 2014

Known facts, from what I can tell, are that the assailant came to the front door (that is not usually used as regular visitors would know to go to the side door) and Katy apparently let them in. She was then shot right at the door. Samantha was hit repeatedly on the head with a hammer near the side door where she may have been attempting to escape. Both women had their throats slit; probably to make sure they were dead.

I have read claims that Samantha was beaten directly in the face in a manner that was described as “overkill” and her hair was cut off. If this is true, it is critical information since it suggestive that Samantha was the main target and the motive was highly personal.

If that is not accurate and the beating would only suffice to cause death and the hair wasn’t cut, it would suggest a methodical double murder by someone who just wanted both of them dead. The hammer may have been used to avoid the noise of additional gunfire.

There does not appear to be any sexual element to these murders. Pictures of both of them do note give the impression that either of them would likely inspire murderous rage due to rejection or jealousy. Looks can be deceiving however. The execution of these murders just seems too confident and controlled to be the work of some High School kid with a grudge.

From what I have read, the entire estate, which would have gone to the older daughter Holly, was less than $100K. Could be motive for murder? I suppose. She was apparently heavily investigated because she was the only suspect. There just doesn’t seem to be any other obvious motive. Below the surface, however, there may be more going on. Were there lawsuits, contested wills, disputed property etc.? Hopefully these avenues have all been checked.

There one angle that I can not come up with anything is the possible link between the Nederlands and police corruption; the rumored motive behind the other Bardsville crimes.

Known facts, from what I can tell, are that the assailant came to the front door (that is not usually used as regular visitors would know to go to the side door) and Katy apparently let them in. She was then shot right at the door. Samantha was hit repeatedly on the head with a hammer near the side door where she may have been attempting to escape.

What is the source for this information?

Known facts, from what I can tell, are that the assailant came to the front door (that is not usually used as regular visitors would know to go to the side door) and Katy apparently let them in. She was then shot right at the door. Samantha was hit repeatedly on the head with a hammer near the side door where she may have been attempting to escape.

What is the source for this information?
I saw a video clip attached to a news report that I believed was from a link on this thread. Holly explained that the attackers were probably not regular visitors to the house because they came to the front door rather than the side door which they normally used. Holly speculated that Kathy was shot right after she opened the door for someone who knocked. She also thought Samantha was fleeing towards the side door when they got to her.

What she did not go into is the the injuries to Samantha. We don’t know if there were injuries consistent with personal anger directed at Samantha. Earlier in this thread, someone reported that there were rumors that her hair was cut off. This would be very important but there is no confirmation.

The big question in this crime is whether either or both women were the target. It seems that Kathy was killed quickly and efficiently before they moved on to Samantha. There is no indication that she was the specific target or that any particular anger was directed at her. Samantha’s injuries are the critical clue.

I may have been wrong about the weapon being a hammer. It may have been an unknown blunt object

I saw a video clip attached to a news report that I believed was from a link on this thread. Holly explained that the attackers were probably not regular visitors to the house because they came to the front door rather than the side door which they normally used. Holly speculated that Kathy was shot right after she opened the door for someone who knocked. She also thought Samantha was fleeing towards the side door when they got to her.

What she did not go into is the the injuries to Samantha. We don’t know if there were injuries consistent with personal anger directed at Samantha. Earlier in this thread, someone reported that there were rumors that her hair was cut off. This would be very important but there is no confirmation.

The big question in this crime is whether either or both women were the target. It seems that Kathy was killed quickly and efficiently before they moved on to Samantha. There is no indication that she was the specific target or that any particular anger was directed at her. Samantha’s injuries are the critical clue.

I may have been wrong about the weapon being a hammer. It may have been an unknown blunt object

I would like to see that clip . Eternal gratitude to whoever provides the link. It's the second time that someone talks about a hammer as the murder weapon, and I still do not know the source.

It is very likely that one of the two women was murdered in the living room.

The Bardstown Netherland Murders Were A Gang Initiation, According To Anonymous Inmate

From this article:

When Bauer pressed him for details about how he knew it was gang initiation, he said, "Well, I know they was tortured. I know that they were tied to their chairs. I know that one of 'em had her throat slit. They was stabbed, and one was shot. I know that trinkets were taken as trophies."

The inmate also said a cellphone jammer was placed at the Netherlands' front door to "kill all the signal in the house."

To further investigate the inmate's claims, Bauer and retired homicide detective Dwayne Stanton met with Kathy's daughter and Samantha's sister, Holly Netherland Williams. While Holly was unable to confirm the inmate's claims, she said his theories about the gang initiation and trophies being taken from the crime scene were possible.

When asked about the cellphone jammer, Holly said, "This is news to me. I mean, that would explain why they didn't get a call off because I know my mom always had a phone in her hand. ... Samantha, she ... I'd like to think that if something happened to Mom that she would have tried to get a call off. ... She would have had [a cellphone]."

Another detail that struck Holly was the alleged torture that her mother and sister endured during the attack.

"I have been asked by the police about the relative location of chairs," said Holly. "This is one of those things that I'm not comfortable talking about. How they died is not one of the main things I want to think about."

This new information has not been confirmed by law enforcement, but the Kentucky State Police say they are investigating the inmate’s claims.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a "cell phone jammer." I hope the article above helps in this case.

I just saw this from months ago and jammers are relatively easy to make or obtain. It’s especially easy to jam up a small home network, which is what they would’ve had. The jammer transmits on the same frequencies as the phones transmit and disables them from communicating with a tower.

I just saw this from months ago and jammers are relatively easy to make or obtain. It’s especially easy to jam up a small home network, which is what they would’ve had. The jammer transmits on the same frequencies as the phones transmit and disables them from communicating with a tower.
Interesting! Also because the Netherland murders were the only ones committed indoors( most likely), what does this mean for the other Bardstown murders? Would a jammer only work within an interior or is it possible Jason, Crystal and Tommy had cell service disabled as well? Not sure that JE had a chance since he wasn’t even able to reach for his firearm but Tommy’s grandson indicated Tommy saw something and that combined with the fact that his grandson returned to the truck and was able to use his cellphone is hinky to me.

Scary to think we could lose service so easily to a jammer! How are we to protect ourselves if this is the case? SMH at the times we live in! Ugh

Interesting! Also because the Netherland murders were the only ones committed indoors( most likely), what does this mean for the other Bardstown murders? Would a jammer only work within an interior or is it possible Jason, Crystal and Tommy had cell service disabled as well? Not sure that JE had a chance since he wasn’t even able to reach for his firearm but Tommy’s grandson indicated Tommy saw something and that combined with the fact that his grandson returned to the truck and was able to use his cellphone is hinky to me.

Scary to think we could lose service so easily to a jammer! How are we to protect ourselves if this is the case? SMH at the times we live in! Ugh

To be fair, jammers are illegal. It’s a denial of service attack and it’s not something you can walk into a radio shack and buy. I know phone companies can usually tell when a jammer has been used but I don’t know how long it takes for them to figure it out. I don’t even know if it’s true about a jammer being used. I have my doubts.

We are coming up on the 5th anniversary of the murder of these two women. Has this case gone completely cold? The black Impala lead seemed to dead end. Eerily silent from LE and media.

Agreed. I live in KY nearby and it's crickets, the fact they will not release any details make it more difficult. I did see on a public memorial site there was a post a few months ago by a close relative who mentioned the target seemed to be the daughter. The house was auctioned off

I would like to see that clip . Eternal gratitude to whoever provides the link. It's the second time that someone talks about a hammer as the murder weapon, and I still do not know the source.

It is very likely that one of the two women was murdered in the living room.

Muy Curioso, I did a search for a video clip (haven’t watched it yet) and found this article with a video and - lo and behold - you and WS are mentioned and credited. You probably already knew. But the article is a great refresher for anyone new to this case.
Bardstown (Part Two: Kathy & Samantha Netherland) — Unresolved

Muy Curioso, I did a search for a video clip (haven’t watched it yet) and found this article with a video and - lo and behold - you and WS are mentioned and credited. You probably already knew. But the article is a great refresher for anyone new to this case.
Bardstown (Part Two: Kathy & Samantha Netherland) — Unresolved

I did not know anything about that article. It is very good, and well researched. It explains practically everything that is known about the case. Very little, unfortunately.

I did not know anything about that article. It is very good, and well researched. It explains practically everything that is known about the case. Very little, unfortunately.
Thanks for chiming in and I hope you’re well! I promise to be the first to let you know if and when any new info is made available to us!

Have you made any progress in the case that is near and dear to your heart?!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brew23p
Back