KY KY - Kelly Hollan, 6, Hindman, 13 Feb 1982

Discussion in '1980's Missing' started by anthrobones, Jun 12, 2006.

1. CassieM

CassieM Member

Isn't this supposed to be a victim friendly forum? The accusations about mom here are over-the-top. No one knows what really happened, or what she may have gone through all of these years. What if she came here and read this and she is innocent?

ChatteringBirds and Melt71 like this.

2. Ozoner

Ozoner Well-Known Member

I agree. Just because many parents now are pathologically obsessive "helicopter parents" who make their kids' lives not worth living by hovering over them constantly, that's no reason to judge the mother for not monitoring her son every second of the day back in 1982. It was a different era--an era when parents gave to their kids some freedom to explore--an era when some kids actually got some enjoyment out of life instead of feeling like supermax prisoners.

Melt71 and cherrymeg like this.
  3. cherrymeg

cherrymeg Well-Known Member

12 at night seems a little late to call the police. She could have been calling neighbors. As a kid in the late 80’s early 90’s I played outside with friends. You might stop in a house get a drink warm up or cool off depending on the time of year. Little kids sometimes hung out with their older siblings and other kids and you kind of looked out for each other. Parents let you play longer if everyone was getting along. It’s possible she thought he was with kids or that he got lost and didn’t want to have the cops show up only to find him seconds later. Some kids wander more than others. Maybe he was one of them and his mom thought he’ll be back.

Ozoner, nerosleuth and Laughing like this.
  4. JSolt1210

JSolt1210 Well-Known Member

I understand that the 1980s were a different era, and that parents regularly gave children more freedom to be outdoors unsupervised.

But here's what I don't understand:

School was canceled that day because of "heavy snow," six inches according to what was recorded that day in Hazard, KY, just 30 minutes away. It was bad enough to go to school, but not bad enough to play outside? Okay, so maybe the snowfall wasn't so bad in the front yard. But this 6-year-old kid played from 11 a.m. straight to at least 4 p.m. (the last time the mom says she saw him), a full 5 hours, in "heavy snow"?

Who was he playing with? If he was with other neighborhood kids (who also would've been home because school was out), then I might understand the mother's actions better because the thinking in that time period was "strength in numbers." What could possibly happen in a large group of kids who all know each other? But the Doe Network article makes it sound like he was playing alone. For 5 hours.

What really gets me, though, is: "About 6 p.m., the mother looked outside for Kelly. She couldn't find him, so she decided to eat supper and wait for him to return" (italicized and underlined by me).

So by her own admission, she hadn't seen him in 2 hours. He'd been outside now for about 7 hours. Without food since breakfast at least 8 hours ago. In heavy snow. For the life of me, I just can't imagine calling out for my 6-year-old kid who's been outside in those conditions all day, whom I haven't actually seen in 2 hours, not finding him, and then going back in to have a warm dinner without him.

All of this put together makes me suspicious of the mother.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    sammyed, FrankHoney, Satch and 4 others like this.
  5. Melt71

Melt71 Well-Known Member

If you read up the case it says she wasn’t allowed to call and there are a few possible reasons why that are discussed earlier.

StrangeOne, Luckyzmom and cherrymeg like this.
  6. cherrymeg

I read up on them. I'm not trying to judge. It's not like she had a reason to believe he was abducted.

7. StrangeOne

StrangeOne Well-Known Member

I grew up in the area during that time. We were allowed outside but in my family we ate lunch and had to be in for dinner. When it was cold out with snow we didn't go out. Maybe this family is set up differently. Maybe they didn't have the food for lunch. I don't know but I do know he didn't have a regular coat. If you read the description it's more like a windbreaker if I'm remembering correctly. It would have been really cold on him. He would have had to warm up. It makes me think he was whatever happened...happened early on. There was snow that day what about foot or tire prints? I grew up (early years) in Scuddy holler which is very close to Knott county. Close enough that this is in our back yard. My father has passed but my step mother is still alive and she's never left the area. I'll see what she knows about it if anything.

8. cherrymeg

I’m not from the area. I grew up in PA and there were a few really bad snow storms. If you go out when it’s still snowing it’s extra cold usually. I always went out usually when it stopped. A windbreaker wouldn’t be something you would wear unless you had 3 or 4 layers underneath it. Usually kids do have to come in, pee, get dry gloves, get food, change socks. I wasn’t sure if he had been in and out of the house or if neighbors kind of watched each other’s kids. I’d be curious to know what the neighbors said After Kelly went missing.
    Thanks for posting this!

nerosleuth, Laughing and Luckyzmom like this.
  9. Luckyzmom

Luckyzmom Well-Known Member

It is unimaginably tragic don't know if we will ever really know what happened, can you imagine what it's been like for his Mom ? So awfully sad MOO

10. ChatteringBirds

ChatteringBirds Well-Known Member

Bumping case up. What happened to little Kelly?

11. Canadian4and1

Canadian4and1 Member

There is a facebook page called DNA detectives. Not sure if we are allowed to share but Kellys Mom is telling a very interesting story on it.

sammyed and Laughing like this.
  12. Shannon.cummins1981

Shannon.cummins1981 New Member

I am an ameatur search Angel on DNA Detectives group on FB, and Kelly his mother recently today infact 11/10/2020, made a claim on on this group. That Kelly's son (an unknown child) showed up on her front doorstep and had found her through DNA research. That her son is ALIVE and she is still trying to find him. Lots of people have made requests for her to clarify the post as its a bit confusing. However she has not responded to those claims. I am from KY not far from this area where all this took place. There are rumors around here that she has a slight intellectual disability and had siezures. So if this is true that may have been the reasons for not checking on him more often etc... She has been active in her posts responding to other questions but not ones to clarify her post itself. For example someone said .. do DNA on these sites... she responded that she had in fact done so. If the grandson did DNA to find her then there is some questions and clarificatons that need to be made about his conception b/c at the very least this kid was alive and grown man at the time of the sons conception. However having disappeared that young he may have forgotten his life before and been raised as another person. Its def. an interesting development to say the least. Anyone can joind DNA detectives btw so ... go check it out if your interested in her post!!

13. chaddylex

chaddylex Verified local - Rebecca Stahl case

I just read her post.... wow is all I can say.

Laughing likes this.
  14. Bounceycat

Bounceycat Member

She responded multiple times on the post that the grandson is the son of her daughter. She was just taken aback by how much he resembled little Kelly.

sammyed, ctaylor, Luckyzmom and 3 others like this.
  15. Laughing

Laughing Well-Known Member

Welcome to Websleuths!

Be aware that the Terms of Service (TOS) ask for a supporting link for posts, also note that most social media is off-limits.

If you are in the area, could you qualify as a Verified Insider?

Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

jmho ymmv lrr

Luckyzmom likes this.
  16. ctaylor

ctaylor Well-Known Member

Thank you for clearing that up for those of us not on the FB Group.

Ozoner, Luckyzmom and Laughing like this.
  17. StrangeOne

StrangeOne Well-Known Member

I was hoping Kelly was alive but in all honesty I do not believe he is.

Satch likes this.
  18. ChatteringBirds

ChatteringBirds Well-Known Member

Bumping up for little Kelly.