Found Safe KY - Kenneth Howard, 22mths, Salyersville, 12 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Shin Masamura, May 13, 2019.

1. PayrollNerd

PayrollNerd Well-Known Member

I saw a comment or two about Mom on the couple of Facebook posts that I posted upthread. However, they are not something we can reference here.

melodyl, borndem, happyday and 7 others like this.
  2. Rhenish

Rhenish Well-Known Member

Given the described terrain etc. I cannot imagine that a 22 month old was able to get away so fast and so far in such a short amount of time that he cannot now be located. I am aware anything is possible and there is always that exception but I just do not see it, especially once darkness set in, hopefully I will be proven wrong. I still am concerned about the statement made earlier today suggesting there are circumstances that just cannot be talked about right now...something like that.

If a 22 month old clearly and surely wandered off what would there be that "cannot be talked about"? And like others here have mentioned, why call off a search so early in the game, although I do know they have resumed searching from the sounds of it.

I think possibly the search has resumed so that it can be confirmed and demonstrated that a thorough search did take place and that a huge effort was put into attempting to locate the little boy and that he simply is/was not in the surrounding woods and therefore one of two things happened, an abduction or something more nefarious.

I am sitting on both hands. I truly, moo, believe that if this little guy had wandered off into the woods at the time he reportedly did searchers would have located him by now, that first night. One may think about how fast this little boy perhaps ran off and "got away" but I am of the opinion that searchers are much faster and smarter and diligent than a two year old and that first night, if truly he had only been gone for one hour, he would have been found in those woods.

3. bowler

bowler Well-Known Member

Yes...I am reading those now. Relationship issues for sure.

melodyl likes this.
  4. borndem

borndem Anglophile & registered demwit

dbm

melodyl likes this.
  5. ab01

ab01 "What is done in the dark always comes to light"

And I’m positive if little kH left on foot from that house, dogs would have picked up his scent.

Linked story upthread says they checked every square inch and never got a single scent hit

I don’t think there’s any way he walked away.

I just can’t imagine a scenario where he just walked off

And I don’t believe the sheriff can either

Jmo

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    kimpage, melodyl, borndem and 12 others like this.
  6. borndem

Oh, that makes me shake. I was not aware of that kind of dynamic in that area.
    Please, not that. If so, he may well never be found. But still, why stop looking -- has this ever happened in that area before?

melodyl, rsd1200 and alexwood like this.
  7. ab01

ab01 "What is done in the dark always comes to light"

Replied to add:

Likely didn’t walk off

No amber alert

What else is there....

melodyl, n_6CC, JaneEyre and 9 others like this.
  8. Hippononymous

Hippononymous Well-Known Member

30 minutes is an insane amount of time to wait before calling 911, IMO. My 3 year old daughter went missing once and I think I called 911 within 5 minutes, maybe even 3, and even that felt like an eternity!!

9. Trudie

Trudie Well-Known Member

She probably has. Speaking publicly isn’t going to help.
    Jmo

I think there’s a reason she’s keeping a low profile. Actually, they both are.

. Agree. He’s a diaper wearing clumsy not yet two year old, not a Sherpa.

Jealoushe, melodyl, n_6CC and 8 others like this.
  10. borndem

Mmmmffff. Same thing with me -- I'm here on this one, too.

We taste a lot of vinegar with theses cases, but that one sip of apple juice when one is found healthy and happy, tastes so-o-o good!

11. Trudie

Trudie Well-Known Member

See I don’t necessarily think so, he could have been in numerous places right in the yard, they didn’t know until they had a chance to scan the area. Jmo

melodyl, ab01, happyday and 2 others like this.
  12. borndem

bbm
    The dogs, the dogs, the dogs. That's the one thing that ties my stomach in knots.
    Well-trained scent dogs are truly amazing. They are trained to find people in water; under concrete (the dogs at various 911 sites were miraculous); in burned-out houses; earthquakes; every kind of situation. Somehow, their noses and brains can "lock-on" to one scent -- like a child's shirt or shoe -- and eliminate all other scents. It's something humans can't hardly comprehend -- this ability dogs have.
    The dogs are the thing that makes me SMH and wonder.

13. borndem

Exactly -- you can always call back and say, "Never mind, I found him/her and s/he is healthy and fine." Even if they make a trip to check to make sure s/he is okay, I'm sure the EMS walks away smiling and happy to do it.

14. Stunned

Stunned Well-Known Member

Yes a baby in a diaper would be so trackable! He has not been tracked. I hate how I am feeling about this cutie. In the beginning, I thought he would be found quickly, but now......please, find him!

15. Stunned

Stunned Well-Known Member

I am so overwhelmed and tired of these missing baby/ children threads. Hopefully he is lost in the woods. (Sigh) but if he is not, maybe we need the drop off your child here with broader acceptance. Done.... your child is 3 bring it here, we will help! Done,your child is 6, bring it here, no questions! Many parent need to know there is a no judgement here, just help. Reunification, if you have not already hurt your child sure! We will help. Not just with joking parental classes, but life skills! Learn a trade, build your home. Support the good parents!

16. mtnlites

mtnlites President of the Imaginary Friends' Club

Terrain around our house is similar to Magoffin County's Gunlock: mountains, lots of trees, cliffs,etc. Right now the underbrush on the mountains is pretty thick. Poison ivy everywhere, weeds almost as tall as my 7 yo daughter. It's not a jungle out there, for sure, but when we take a walk through the woods and mountains, we leave signs of our walk-grass flattened, sticks broken on the ground, etc. If a kid had wandered off, there would be some sign of it, I feel. Things are growing like crazy right now. If the dogs didn't pick anything up then there would probably at least be some physical sign of walking.

kimpage, melodyl, n_6CC and 9 others like this.
  17. Pax10

Pax10 Active Member

There's actually a group that will do something similar in Kentucky and Indiana, called Orphan Care Alliance (obviously, they also do other things as well). I don't know if it's no questions asked or not. They have a program that isn't fostercare, parents have custody, but the kids live in foster type homes while the parents get their lives together. Parents apparently still visit etc. I don't know much more about it than that, but maybe there's a need for this kind of thing.

One thing giving me hope at this point is that at least there's bbeenno mention of a prior history with DFCS, like in too many other cases lately.

*Sorry, replying to Stunned, I must've hit reply instead of quote.

18. Rhenish

Rhenish Well-Known Member

I hear what you are saying. The system needs to change because it is not effective and really does nothing, hence all these missing children stories ending in tragedy and typically at the hand of a parent or family member that is "under watch". I would say the 1930's and 40's were way ahead of the ballgame with regard to protecting children, the pendulum has clearly swung from one extreme to the other. Children are our future and part of our current society and for the best interest of them foremost, and for the rest of humanity secondly they need protection whether we like it or accept it or not. We are all a united and collective community and have to protect ourselves and others for the greater good of all, and that protection has to start with the youngest and most vulnerable of beings.

cedgison, melodyl, borndem and 3 others like this.
  19. Trudie

Trudie Well-Known Member

If he’s in the woods, I doubt he’s in real good shape by now, 48+ hours later. Jmo

Curious what y’all think?
    Did he walk away & manage to keep on going?
    Or is there more to this story?

melodyl, osu, Amonet and 3 others like this.
  20. mtnlites

mtnlites President of the Imaginary Friends' Club

A tiny, rural, poor county? Yes. Not enough budget to keep looking? No. My family has been part of many of these searches and my husband works for the state rescue unit. Many of the people who belong to the county's rescue squad are volunteers. If they they stop the search it's because they received information that led them to believe that the child would not be found in that area, but would be found elsewhere. And it would have to be actual evidence or information, not just someone's hunch or a theory. Now that they've resumed the search but broadened the parameter, it's most likely because they've received additional information that's led them to believe that there's a reason why he might be further out. IMO it's a recovery at this point, not a rescue.